New Bahrain GP layout

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
vyselegend

New Bahrain GP layout

Doesn't add any fun IMO. Just going to drag the overall track ratio toward a bit more downforce. Autosport article quotes Zayed R. Alzayani looking forward "new overtaking opportunities", but I hardly see much overtaking taking place in that tight complex.

Hope to be wrong thought...

edit: added pic

CMSMJ1

Re: New Bahrein GP layout

OK - so what has changed?
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

astracrazy

be helpful if the new layout was indicated

imightbewrong

I made a small picture to show the difference:

lauromoura

It'll be the endurance circuit, using the loop right after turn 4.

Roger the knife

More overtaking !!!, the only thing it seems to have more of, is tarmac, and Mickey Mouseness

ESPImperium

Always thought that bit should have been added. Altho, id say that the Bahrain track from both looking at it from a fans point of view and what ive done on it in F1: CE in sim racing that theres 2 corners that really need changing, what is now Turn 20 and the last corner, the need to be more sharp for overtaking. I feel that that way this track woule be arguably the best new track behing Instabul.

OLD:
Lap Time Arround 1:32.4 to 1:34.7 on 2006 to 2009 times.

NEW:
Posible Lap Time: 1:49 to 1:55

Technically, the heat will be more of a problem now as the little fast section was good for cooling, but the slower corners will make the engines be much more marginal on tempratures. And the last thing, gearchanges. There will be more required now, but those will crusify the gearboxes. Especially the new gearboxes on the grid, whitch there will be many more this year than previous years.

ESPImperium

Maybes the next cuircit to get changed (back) should be Barcelona, that Tilke bit at the end just ruins the flow of the track for me.

Current:

Pre 2007???:

lauromoura

Pandamasque

Yeah it looks quite fast. But then it's probably less grandstand friendly so less camels will be able to see the race.

DaveKillens

I was thinking the same thought. The inclusion of this added track also allows a lot more spectator seating. But this is one track that already has trouble filling all the seats... so this doesn't completely satisfy my curiousity.

My personal perception is that this change removes one heck of a nice high-speed section (the old 5,6,7), and leaves only one location where high-speed aero is important, the old turn 12. The old turn 10 is sweet, very awkward to drive. But the last two corners before the front straight could use some revision, because the way they are right now, no challenge for the drivers.

This change just adds even more twisty sections where overtaking is virtually impossible. I just hope these changes aren't done to satisify Bernie and one of his new, whacky proposals..where he wants to introduce shortcuts on race tracks to encourage drivers to do more overtaking. This alteration is completely in line with this notion.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

raceman

Pandamasque wrote:so less camels will be able to see the race.
:lol:

+1

Roland Ehnström

Unless there are some quite spectacular elevation changes in that new bit, I don't like it. It looks way too tight and slow, doesn't add anything in terms of overtaking, ruins the fast sweep which used to be turns 5-6-7 and makes the braking for turn 8 easier.

Further, I believe this change turns Bahrain from a medium downforce to a high downforce track, which will make following closely to another car even more difficult, brake distance for turn 1 shorter and turn 12 much easier to run flat out. AND the longer lap distance means the race length will be reduced from 56 to 48 laps, which means eight less chances in the race for overtaking in turns 1 and 4 (and also less strain on the brakes).

CHT
CHT

I am planning to make a trip to Bahrain this Mar. Anybody knows where are the best seats around this circuit?

axle

Wonder if their idea (regards overtaking) is to force the teams to use more Downforce which will increase the tow affect down the proper straights and give the chasing drivers more of an oppertunity to overtake.
- Axle