Alonso 2010 Champion?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
xpensive

Re: Alonso 2010 Champion?

Alonso only need Ferrari to produce half a decent car to walk away with the championship this year, the obvious reason being his sheer motivation in once again thrashing Schumacher, which should be easy enough without the German having MrM to move the goalposts whenever needed.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

WhiteBlue

Giblet wrote:New guy:

You are obviously a passionate F1 fan, and big into Alonso.

That is OK, but maybe step back a foot and a half, and understand you showed up here telling us your opinion, and you have quickly painted yourself into a corner. Let the paint dry, walk out of the room, and don't try to change others opinions based your observations.

Most of us have drivers we like more than others, but even more so on this site we care about the cars, and the drivers technical side.

I don't have any drivers that I am a huge fan of, but I pride myself in knowing what each driver's strengths and weaknesses are to a point.

Alonso has been a douche in the past, but any Alonso fan has to realize that maybe those two years at Renault have humbled him,and maybe he will be stronger now, making him less incomplete :)

As Kimi would say "I thing so we shall see"
This is an excellent piece of advise. I would like to add the old saying about "Attack the post, not the poster". Calling the honorable fellow forumers idiots and dumbasses and call other drivers butt bodies isn't the F1Technical way. In fact using loaded language within the first 10 posts I reckon is indicative of a short and fiery carreer as a contributor of this board.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive

The F1Technical way is of course to stay off any concrete topic and only make dead-certain predictions on those which are not, only to later adjust to whatever prediction was proven to be the correct one? :lol:
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

audifan

at the valencia tests massa did the longest runs [ hence heaviest loads] in a ferrari ; he also had the slowest track conditions ...as the rubber went down on a very green track and the temperatures increased the difference was easily seen during the course of the three days

if you adjust the times for these factors massa was clearly faster than alonso

early days though!

Mr Alcatraz

audifan wrote:at the valencia tests massa did the longest runs [ hence heaviest loads]
That is not necessarily true.
Do you have a link or quote that states definitively how much fuel was in Fred, and Felipe’s tanks at the end of their stints?
if you adjust the times for these factors massa was clearly faster than alonso
This is speculation or theory at best.
Really nothing more than opinion.
I do agree that the track was greener when Felipe ran.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

WhiteBlue

Tazio wrote:I do agree that the track was greener when Felipe ran.
That is debatable. There were almost 2000 laps completed and no rain between days. There should not have been a difference in track conditions between day 2 and 3. There certainly wasn't any temperature wise and beyond 700 laps I doubt that there has been much rubbering in. So that point about day two and three is pretty moote.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Mr Alcatraz

WhiteBlue wrote:
That is debatable. There were almost 2000 laps completed and no rain between days. There should not have been a difference in track conditions between day 2 and 3. There certainly wasn't any temperature wise and beyond 700 laps I doubt that there has been much rubbering in. So that point about day two and three is pretty moote.
Then I guess I should thank you for pointing that out.
If true it helps validate the my general assetion of my post :-"

WhiteBlue

Tazio wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:
If true it adds ligitimacy to the my general assetion of my post :-"
You are welcome. Btw, it is easy to figure that out if you assume that the track is pretty much stable rubber wise after a third to half a dry F1 race. If we assume 30 laps and 24 cars we arrive at 720 laps for stable conditions. The air temps on all three days were 11-13 °C and the track temps 23-30°C.

ISLAMATRON

Yes but Fred definitly said he used Bulk's info to tweak the settings.

Honestly I dont think you could really see who was the better of the 2 with that short testing period... just gotta wait to see How the incredible Bulk smashes Freddie 6 tenths.

Mysticf1

No one will know until we are deep into the season, and not definitively until the end of the season....F1 isnt just about outright lap time, especially this year.

Come on guys, we have had one test, at a non representative track...more an over glorified shake down than a test.

WhiteBlue

ISLAMATRON wrote:Yes but Fred definitly said he used Bulk's info to tweak the settings.

Honestly I dont think you could really see who was the better of the 2 with that short testing period... just gotta wait to see How the incredible Bulk smashes Freddie 6 tenths.
I love the "Bulk" translation. We really should respect Google for creating this impressive nick. It is almost as good as "Half" for Ralf and "Britney" for Nico. :lol: 8) :mrgreen: =D>

audifan

the track was certainly quicker on day 3 than day 2 ; the temperature went up much quicker from the overnight 2C [on all the mornings] , my outside thermometer was 3 degrees higher at lunchtime on day 3 compared to day 2 and in the afternoon I didn't need a coat on day 3 until 4pm , but wore one all day on day 2! air temperature fell from about 4 pm onwards on all 3 days days but couldn't measure track temperature of course ; certainly the air temperature average increased on each of the 3 days ; on days 1 and 2 butane wouldn't gas at 8 am but it did on day 3 ; I don't know where you were parked overnight at the track but my equipment didn't move for 4 days and certainly didn't register the range 10-13C , mine recorded 17C shade temperature at 2pm day 3 , must have been the heat from all those spaniards who turned up to see alonso!

the loading is based on the fact that massa seemed to concentrate on long runs and therefore presumably higher average loads , hamilton was the same ; it is logical to suppose that there is some relationship between load and distance run , and that you wouldn't learn too much from a lot of short runs coming in still heavily laden , at least not as much as you would learn from other scenario's

as a matter of interest for those who were not there , busloads of local school children came accompanied by their teachers in order to see , one presumes , the spanish drivers ; can't imagine that happening where I come from !

btw , who says the track is more or less stable after two thirds of an F1 race ? an amazing statement bearing in mind the number of variables !

Mr Alcatraz

WhiteBlue wrote:
Tazio wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:
If true it adds ligitimacy to the my general assetion of my post :-"
You are welcome.
I wasn't thankimg you bro :roll: [-X :lol:

Mr Alcatraz

audifan wrote:the track was certainly quicker on day 3 than day 2 ; the temperature went up much quicker from the overnight 2C [on all the mornings] , my outside thermometer was 3 degrees higher at lunchtime on day 3 compared to day 2 and in the afternoon I didn't need a coat on day 3 until 4pm , but wore one all day on day 2! air temperature fell from about 4 pm onwards on all 3 days days but couldn't measure track temperature of course ; certainly the air temperature average increased on each of the 3 days ; on days 1 and 2 butane wouldn't gas at 8 am but it did on day 3 ; I don't know where you were parked overnight at the track but my equipment didn't move for 4 days and certainly didn't register the range 10-13C , mine recorded 17C shade temperature at 2pm day 3 , must have been the heat from all those spaniards who turned up to see alonso!

the loading is based on the fact that massa seemed to concentrate on long runs and therefore presumably higher average loads , hamilton was the same ; it is logical to suppose that there is some relationship between load and distance run , and that you wouldn't learn too much from a lot of short runs coming in still heavily laden , at least not as much as you would learn from other scenario's

as a matter of interest for those who were not there , busloads of local school children came accompanied by their teachers in order to see , one presumes , the spanish drivers ; can't imagine that happening where I come from !

btw , who says the track is more or less stable after two thirds of an F1 race ? an amazing statement bearing in mind the number of variables !
Inconclusive evidence.
Conjecture,
hypothesis,
guesstimate,
inference
notion,
presumption,
supposition
postulation,
and last but not least suspicion :lol:
I aint buying it.
Nothing personal old bean :D

WhiteBlue

I followed the test days via internet and posted track conditions throughout as evidenced in the winter testing thread. Air and track temps were released in 20 min intervals by the track and published on Spanish web sites. I have yet to hear any points that contradict my opinion that a dry track reaches an equilibrium after some 700 F1 laps. Naturally there are always fluctuations (like marbles on track during tyre wars), wind and sand but they were not impacting significantly on track conditions in this case. Quite often fastest lap times of a race are set at the end of the second or third stint and not only at the end of a race.