F1 Technician Hand Tools

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Germanengineering

Re: Technician Hand Tools

Thanks for the info guys. I just always wondered what tools they use because you never see anything and the pit crew is always so clean.It's amazing how clean everything especially the Mclaren Technology center being all white and it's spotless.
People don't understand that it was maybe my biggest pleasure to drive an F1 car when it's wet. - Alain Prost

marcush.

of course ,the tool cabinets are lista ,not only in the workshop but in the trucks as well .
This is really top notch quality and not comparable to a snap on cabinet really.
I visited some workshops in Gasoline alley a few years back and it amazed me totally
that a lot of teams had custommade toolcabinets with timing scoring seats etc and all really elaborate and made to higher standards then most racecars you see in germany.. :mrgreen:

ESPImperium

Personally, i use Stanley for all my guitar related modification work for tools. As for Soldering equiptment, its Weller. Stanley is quite costly, but i need top notch quality for my guitars as they cost about as much as a set of wheel nuts for a F1 car, or just two if you are talking Ferarri wheel nuts.

I always think you are better going for the quality you can afford, many of the F1 teams will have the best in the buisness, the newer ones will have the best they can afford tho.

tok-tokkie

ESPImperium wrote:Personally, i use Stanley for all my guitar related modification work for tools. As for Soldering equiptment, its Weller. Stanley is quite costly, but i need top notch quality for my guitars as they cost about as much as a set of wheel nuts for a F1 car, or just two if you are talking Ferarri wheel nuts.

I always think you are better going for the quality you can afford, many of the F1 teams will have the best in the buisness, the newer ones will have the best they can afford tho.
When did you last buy a Stanley tool? Locally (ZA) they have become very poor quality - a name I now avoid.

ESPImperium

Recently about 5 or 6 weeks ago. I got them from the local DIY shop B&Q.

Quality wise, they are really nice.

CHADEBERLY

Does anyone know the type of Air impact wrnches they use??? I would liek to buy one just for kicks. Thanks for any help

autogyro

ESPImperium wrote:Recently about 5 or 6 weeks ago. I got them from the local DIY shop B&Q.

Do you rebuild guitars then ESPImperium?
I have an original telecaster plus with a numbered neck.
The finger board is worn out.
I have fitted new frets to other guitars and levelled the action but I need to strip the finger board on this one to retain the Fender number.
If it was a cheap copy I would replace the neck of course.
Any suggestions?
On the tools issue, I think snap on have got softer over the years.

marcush.

CHADEBERLY wrote:Does anyone know the type of Air impact wrnches they use??? I would liek to buy one just for kicks. Thanks for any help
paioli -italy near modena- state of the art

http://www.paolipitstop.com/index.html

second source is Ingersoll-rand

ESPImperium

autogyro wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:Recently about 5 or 6 weeks ago. I got them from the local DIY shop B&Q.

Do you rebuild guitars then ESPImperium?
I have an original telecaster plus with a numbered neck.
The finger board is worn out.
I have fitted new frets to other guitars and levelled the action but I need to strip the finger board on this one to retain the Fender number.
If it was a cheap copy I would replace the neck of course.
Any suggestions?
On the tools issue, I think snap on have got softer over the years.
I dont re build them, i mod them. I can do alot of the electrical side, can do alittle on the luthery side, but that is extremly limited. I can do a majority of setups and what not. I have currently 6 guitars, and have owned arround 15 ro 20 in seven or eight years of playing. And i currently want 3 or 4 more.

For your needs, id say take it to a Tech, i have 2 i use for various needs, but you may be after a Luthier to strop the poly or nitro coat off, and get him to apply a new coat, or more likley 5 to 7 coats, then buff the neck up for you if you want a gloss finish. The get new frets, most probably modren Dunlop 6505s or if you want to keep the vintage feel, the vintage profile ones, and have a stone and profile on it. Cost will probably be arround £650 for the neck alone, but you will retain the instrument in its entirity, therfore its value and most importantly its soul.

Gatecrasher

I have been using Snap On for the last 20+ years. The tools are still in great shape, the roll around toolbox however is rusting and it has never been left outside. I have noticed some depreciation in the quality over the years, but I would still recomend them if you rely on the tools for your income.

Cheap tools can cost you more in the long term. Using the right tool for the job is priceless.

strad

my favorite was always FACOM
Ferraris choice...Quite expensive
I like Snap-On
EDIT
I forgot my new screwdrivers....Wera.
They have the coolest handles....They make ratchets etc. too but I only have the screwdrivers
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

PlatinumZealot

Guys, all brand tools are pretty much the same, the only differences lie in the moving stuff like the ratchet for the sockets and other intricate stuff. I have gotten away with a cheap 20 dollar chinese tool kit for years, Performs just like my other name brand tools. I just bought a name brand ratchet handle, name brand torque wrench to go along with the Chinese stuff (those chinese ratchets WILL fail over time). You really can't tell the difference in performance.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

flynfrog

n smikle wrote:Guys, all brand tools are pretty much the same, the only differences lie in the moving stuff like the ratchet for the sockets and other intricate stuff. I have gotten away with a cheap 20 dollar chinese tool kit for years, Performs just like my other name brand tools. I just bought a name brand ratchet handle, name brand torque wrench to go along with the Chinese stuff (those Chinese ratchets WILL fail over time). You really can't tell the difference in performance.
not true. Good tools are forged with ground surfaces that wont deform and gaul stripping out your bold or screw. Even a decent craftsman set of tools is miles ahead of a Chinese tool set. I have stripped a ton of cheap sockets and broken a bunch of extension from china my matco and craftsman stuff keeps going if it breaks they replace it for free.

multisync

I like Bahco tools and have used them for many years. The quality is very good. Now owned by Snapon.
Personally whilst Snapon are made of quality materials I do not find them ergonomically sympathetic (handle a Bahco screwdriver then hold one of those hard handled squarish Snapon ones and you'll see )

Jordon were supplied by Beta and there are a few kits hanging around the factory even today. Again not very nice to handle..

marcush.

n smikle wrote:Guys, all brand tools are pretty much the same, the only differences lie in the moving stuff like the ratchet for the sockets and other intricate stuff. I have gotten away with a cheap 20 dollar chinese tool kit for years, Performs just like my other name brand tools. I just bought a name brand ratchet handle, name brand torque wrench to go along with the Chinese stuff (those chinese ratchets WILL fail over time). You really can't tell the difference in performance.

You have not done a lot of wrenching yet .I have to admit that I have a sweet spot for good working tools but if you need to earn money using tools don´t even think of buying anything less than the tool that is made for the job which can be something homemade ,no question.
Certainly there is not one brand best in all areas. Facom certainly the kings of ratchets in my book ...