TV coverage gripes

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Current TV coverage good or bad?

Keep it the way it is!
16%
Overhaul needed ASAP
80%
Don't care about the quality of TV coverage
4%

Total votes: 112

strad

Re: TV coverage gripes

All I can say is after YEARS of getting up at 0 dark thirty I don't remember more than a couple of times where Speed put anything ahead of F1. Just which NASCAR race do you think came on at 4:30 am?
But hey, you're entitled to your opinion. Image
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

not to add fuel to the fire but for Silverstone, qualifying was postponed til 11:30amPST with NO option to watch live on any of the other channels. With an 8 hour time difference I'm pretty sure they were not held at 8:30pm. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Rhino
Rhino

My word. Watching recordings of first two FP now and can't believe the huge delay between sound and picture once again. We had this issue at the beginning of last season but it came right for most of the season. This year it started out OK but the last couple of races had a sound picture sync problem.

I wish I knew where or who to ask about this. First thoughts were my satellite TV provider, but I am not so sure if it is them. Reason for saying so is that one of the 3 soundtracks has no delay between pictures and sound. That is the Portuguese language channel where gear changes etc are perfectly in sync with the picture I see on the TV. Our English soundtrack is the problem. They are delayed and I guess more than 2 seconds behind. Extremely frustrating to say the least. We live in South Africa and our commentary is from the BBC if I'm not mistaking.

My question is: how do I bring this issue to the attention of whomever is introducing this delay between sound and picture? If anybody can help me to get on the right track it would be highly appreciated.

WaikeCU

With the trend of VR technology heading our way I think F1 should jump on the train and benefit from it. It should create an entirely new experience for viewers. Imagine something like a small cam inside the front of the driver's helmet where you can follow the driver in-car point of view. The viewer can use his VR goggle to look around inside the cockpit of the driver he's following.

I think opportunities will be created for VR tech in sports. Imagine, instead buying 50 yard line tickets for the Superbowl. Viewers can buy VR streams on the 50 yard line using VR goggles to watch the game. Or sitting courtside watching King Lebron doing what he does best.

PTRACER
PTRACER

No, we don't need new, gimmicky technology. I thought with the way the racing has suffered over the last few years, that would be obvious.