TV coverage gripes

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Current TV coverage good or bad?

Keep it the way it is!
16%
Overhaul needed ASAP
80%
Don't care about the quality of TV coverage
4%

Total votes: 112

Mamba

Re: TV coverage gripes

woohoo wrote:I just wish they would stop showing cuts of various VIPs and mechanics watching the race, and instead show the actual racing.

I dont car about some guys watching a screen showing himself, or someone's dad or wife or whatever, they are not the ones doing the racing!
:evil:
I am not with you on this one. The few scenes of the pit crew etc. give the audience a wider view than just the cars going around the track. Any way, if there is a serious battle between two cars going on then you do not see such scenes. They are only shown when there is not much else going on, on that moment.
The sound is okay for me but if it can improve I am all for it!

MAMBA

BanMeToo

My girlfriend, who is slowly getting to a point where she hates to miss watching a GP with me, is enormously amused by the way that cameramen at every single circuit take opportunities to track & zoom in/out on any babes who might be present.

astracrazy

BanMeToo wrote:My girlfriend, who is slowly getting to a point where she hates to miss watching a GP with me, is enormously amused by the way that cameramen at every single circuit take opportunities to track & zoom in/out on any babes who might be present.
i hate it when they have to show drivers girlfriends. it's always when there is something important to watch on track

i hate cutting to the crowd at the wrong time too. The last race we missed rosberg overtake hamilton at the hairpin because of this. We saw hamilton over shoot then it cut the the crowd.....

Cam

Hollywood stars giving podium interviews. I lost a lot of respect for F1 when that happened. There is a swath of current and former, very qualified, F1 related people, such as engineers, Managers, drivers, support crew, all of which I'd much rather see their insights and questions. I'm probably alone on this one too, but it doesn't seem right.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

strad

I have said and say again that we lose sense of speed and depth from them using only a few long lens cameras.
There was a time when they would brag about how many cameras they had for coverage. Now with fewer cameras we lose a lot.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

aterren

SiLo wrote:
thedutchguy wrote: -Fire whoever directed the Canadian Grand Prix :lol:
I second this.
Third.

I can't help but feel that in 1996 we had better coverage, and better racing, in cart.

Mamba

The coverage is not THAT bad in my opinion but the fixes should be relatively easy if there is enough support for it. It is one thing for us to complain but if senior persons with power can be convinced there should be changes much faster.
Canada was not so terrible as you guys are going on but granted it was far from the perfect coverage that there could be...

Please do not start a war over this, the matter is opinion based largely....
MAMBA

aterren

Mamba wrote:...fixes should be relatively easy if there is enough support for it...if senior persons with power can be convinced there should be changes much faster.
I think you are right. I am also quite certain the senior persons care only about changes that have a direct impact on tomorrow (not next week's) profits. Additionally the most senior person seems to think social media is a passing fad. What you are hearing in this thread is not a desire to start 'war' but a broad frustration about the large gap between what is, and what could be.

Radley

Here in the US we get from NBC the world feed in High Definition but NBC matrixes the audio into some horrible blur. The HD video format supports Dolby 5:1 audio. The Speed channel used to broadcast the races that way, but some idiot at NBC Sports just mucks it up. If you have a home theater, you should be able to hear the cars come across left to right (or right to left) and the announcers are in the center channel. That's the way high quality television shows are, that's the way movies are, but at NBC, oh no, they have to screw with the world feed which is in Dolby Digital 5:1.

krisfx

Cam wrote:Hollywood stars giving podium interviews. I lost a lot of respect for F1 when that happened. There is a swath of current and former, very qualified, F1 related people, such as engineers, Managers, drivers, support crew, all of which I'd much rather see their insights and questions. I'm probably alone on this one too, but it doesn't seem right.

I don't really "get" the Hollywood Podium interviews. I would like to see more relevant people, or the whole idea scrapped.

Cuky

krisfx wrote:
Cam wrote:Hollywood stars giving podium interviews. I lost a lot of respect for F1 when that happened. There is a swath of current and former, very qualified, F1 related people, such as engineers, Managers, drivers, support crew, all of which I'd much rather see their insights and questions. I'm probably alone on this one too, but it doesn't seem right.

I don't really "get" the Hollywood Podium interviews. I would like to see more relevant people, or the whole idea scrapped.

Exactly my thoughts. I would like to see them like before, in press center at the track being asked questions by real professional reporter concluding with few words in their native language. Maybe we could add to that few questions from other reporters, just like they ask questions on press conferences on Thursday.

Cam

Glad I'm not alone on this one. As an alternative solution - just imagine the avalanche of questions via twitter that would happen if it was opened up to the wider audience. Live broadcasts already field live tweet questions so it's possible. To have your question asked to the winner on the podium would be very special. You start to embrace social media, you involve the fans, what's not to like?
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

djos

It'd be nice if FOM had a global HD Stream like the WEC that you can subscribe to and get access to 2nd "streams", follow your fav driver etc etc for a reasonable and fair price!

It'd be even better if they had a multi-platform approach with apps for PSX, Xbox and ATV!
"In downforce we trust"

krisfx

djos wrote:It'd be nice if FOM had a global HD Stream like the WEC that you can subscribe to and get access to 2nd "streams", follow your fav driver etc etc for a reasonable and fair price!

It'd be even better if they had a multi-platform approach with apps for PSX, Xbox and ATV!
Reasonable and fair don't come into the pricing equation for F1, sadly!

djos

krisfx wrote:
djos wrote:It'd be nice if FOM had a global HD Stream like the WEC that you can subscribe to and get access to 2nd "streams", follow your fav driver etc etc for a reasonable and fair price!

Reasonable and fair don't come into the pricing equation for F1, sadly!
True, the evil dwarf wants even more money that he can't take with him before he kicks the bucket!
"In downforce we trust"