vitaly petrov, so far , so good ?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
timbo

Re: vitaly petrov, so far , so good ?

WhiteBlue wrote:So he lost one race due to a technical failure and messed up twice when he was in reach of points for the team.
Team reported that suspension failure was caused by design mistake.
http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2010/03/1 ... etirement/

WhiteBlue

timbo wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:So he lost one race due to a technical failure and messed up twice when he was in reach of points for the team.
Team reported that suspension failure was caused by design mistake.
I did not find this later contradicting report. It lets Petrov shine in a different light. He missed out only on some 5-10 points in Melbourne then which is in line with expectations.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

lebesset

one of my best friends for many years was a professional golfer , no great shakes as a player but a great coach ; he coached professionals on the tour and budding professionals who wanted to be there
I once asked him if he knew at the beginning if they would make the grade ....he said no , not for sure , but he knew those who wouldn't ; before all the wonders of modern technology [ which they are starting to ban I notice ] talent was the only thing they had
he said if they are not long enough , I can't teach them to be long .. nobody can...they either have it or they don't ; and if they are not , they can't make it to the top

and that's how I personally see it with racers , they either have it or they don't ; many people seem to think people like clark and prost and button aren't racers , they seem to go around at less than maximum speed and are successful anyway ;personally I don't agree with that ... they certainly may have had the preference for the silky approach , but when push came to shove they had no problem in doing the other thing

I think petrov is a racer
I think he has a chance

http://www.motoringpicturelibrary.com/docs/464-mplc.jpg

example of the silky jim clark style for the younger contributors , no , he didn't turn it over , he never did ...this is how you got the maximum in this car ...all the time !
notice it is registered for the road , at the time this was taken he was F1 world champion
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Mr Alcatraz

WhiteBlue wrote:
timbo wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:I haven't actually checked into the reasons for Petrov's failure to score
Maybe you'd better analyze and report back?
Petrov DNFed in lap 13 of the Bahrain GP with suspension damage due to running wide over a curb.
Vitaly Petrov wrote:Then I ran wide over a kerb in turn 12 and it seemed to damage the right-front suspension at that point. I came into the pits to have the car checked over, and that was when we realised that the suspension couldn’t be repaired so I had to retire.
FWIW, didn't your hero (and mine) DNF from Sepang for running wide over the curb?
Wasn’t it suspension failure? I don't think he even made it to lap 13 :roll:

I tend to agree with Lebe', you either have it or you don't.
I suggest Mike has it.
The suspensions seem to be a little more fragile since his last full season. (possibly due to the additional weight they carry).
That is just speculation!
But running wide over curbs used to only damage some aero bits on the undercarriage.
The cars it would seem are less forgiving in this arena now!

As I posted a quote from another thread earlier in this thread, I was of the belief that V.P. had it on or before Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:21 pm GMT.
I don't follow the lesser Formulae so it was an impression that I developed while watching his F1 practice runs up until that point.

Does that make me some kind of F1 talent recognizing yoda? [-o< Of course not (as I have been one for many years)! :shock: :lol:
Would you like to know another guy I always knew had a little talent? (although not archived)

Tazio "Il Mantovano Volante" Nuvolari 8)

Have a God blessed day.
Last edited by Mr Alcatraz on 10 Apr 2010, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

lebesset

tazio ,I think when VP said he ran over a kerb [ what's new about that in F1 ] and damaged the suspension he didn't realise that it was not down to him but a faulty design , and a bit fell off

have another look at timbo's link
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Mr Alcatraz

:roll: :shock: :lol: Thank you sir!
May I have another? :wink:
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

lebesset

emasculated again tazio !

WhiteBlue

http://sundayafternoonclub.blogs.topgea ... ty-petrov/

This source says that Petrov is 10 kg heavier than Kubica. I know they both are 184-185 cm tall. I wonder if this is true.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

lebesset

anybody still think this guy hasn't got it?

timbo

Good race!

roost89

lebesset wrote:anybody still think this guy hasn't got it?
He's definetly a racer. I think he'll get better, or at least, less wild with time.

I rate him as a rookie. But I'll wait a bit longer before seeing how he is. Maybe mid-season.
4 races isn't much to see how a driver is.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

Miguel

My impression, even after today, is that Romain Grosjean is a better driver and a better racer, although the swiss showed too much rage in his few races. IMHO, the gap between Kubica and Petrov is way too large.

I'm sorry, but that's the way I see it.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

Pandamasque

lebesset wrote:anybody still think this guy hasn't got it?
Oh come on! Anyone can overtake a pensioner, right WB? :mrgreen:

lebesset

anybody notice the whines from the other drivers about hamilton weaving to break the tow?
when did that become against the rules , hasn't been since 1950 at least
but I suppose anything to slow him down
but no whines about petrov following , if he hadn't , no weaving !
but petrov is a racer , it may have been hamilton in a faster car , and he hung on like grim death
good boy vitaly!

Pandamasque

lebesset wrote:anybody notice the whines from the other drivers about hamilton weaving to break the tow?
when did that become against the rules , hasn't been since 1950 at least
Yeah right. The whole world is against Lewis Hamilton. Make an effort to read the rules before posting BS. Besides the rule has been quoted countless times on the forum and in the press.