The Race To Ash Covered Europe Begins

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
hecti

Re: The Race To Ash Covered Europe Begins

but when you consider the weight of ice and compare it to the wieght of crust it cant be that much of a difference

and yea, humans didnt cause this, co2 only counts for .033% of all atmosphere.

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

mx_tifosi wrote:Ridiculous? Take a geology course and that thought will wither away. Glaciers do exert pressure on the tectonic plates which actually does affect the rising of magma, as it forms in low pressure and high temp areas. In case someone needs this recap: less/smaller glaciers means less tectonic pressure -> more magma reaching the surface.

Although I wouldn't say that human caused global warming is the cause of this event. That's a bit too rich.
Thanks for the explanation. The human caused global warming as the cause of this is a bit thin.

autogyro

andrew wrote:
mx_tifosi wrote:Ridiculous? Take a geology course and that thought will wither away. Glaciers do exert pressure on the tectonic plates which actually does affect the rising of magma, as it forms in low pressure and high temp areas. In case someone needs this recap: less/smaller glaciers means less tectonic pressure -> more magma reaching the surface.

Although I wouldn't say that human caused global warming is the cause of this event. That's a bit too rich.
Thanks for the explanation. The human caused global warming as the cause of this is a bit thin.
The earths crust is also a bit thin in Iceland and I have already done a geology course thank you Tifosi. The Icelandic area of volcanology is not tectonic plate subduction with associated vent eruptions but mid Atlantic trench seperation. It takes little change in surface pressure to effect the rupture size and there is little earthquake activity to go with eruptions. The eruptions are semi plinian with little pumis and medium flow lava sheets, underwater the mainly volcanic glass explodes with sea water to create a fine abrasive powder which is shot into the upper atmosphere.

mx_tifoso

It wasn't meant to sound condescending, nor was it meant for you Autogyro.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

autogyro

mx_tifosi wrote:It wasn't meant to sound condescending, nor was it meant for you Autogyro.
Sorry Tifosi, I can see that, having re read the thread.
My point is that the major reductions in size of the Icelandic ice sheets will for certain have some effect on these eruptions and it is not that 'thin' a conclusion, that the reasons for reduced ice sheets is a result of human caused global warming.

What is absolutely certain is that the developments by human beings that has resulted in the huge current reliance on air travel (a major source of CO2) has increased human vulnerability to natural events by a huge amount. The conclusion can only be that we start to use more common sense in the way that we exploit our planet.

hecti

nuclear power!!!

Imagine nuclear reactors in f1 cars!!!! crazy stuff

autogyro

hecti wrote:nuclear power!!!

The Americans have already flown a nuclear reactor in a B36 SAC bomber
(not many people know this)
So I think total stupidity has alread reached its absolute moronic limit so your comment is irelevent.
I do not call it nuclear power, it is nuclear exploitation of the planet, different thing altogether.
Last edited by autogyro on 20 Apr 2010, 00:42, edited 1 time in total.

andrew

hecti wrote:nuclear power!!!

I'd rather not. If that happens, I'm moving to the moon! I won't get deaded when there is a crash if I'm up there. :lol:

nipo

andrew wrote:I'd rather not. If that happens, I'm moving to the moon! I won't get deaded when there is a crash if I'm up there. :lol:
Yeah cos on the moon your are dead anyway :lol:

@autogyro
On a more serious note, do you think that human civilization can really go backwards? Your observations about humanity's increasing dependence on technology and vulnerability to natural phenomena are spot on, but going backwards IMO is plain impossible. Flights for instance have become a must-have in modern day social / economic activity. Same case with electricity - imagine the absence of cell phone service / Internet / TV / traffic lights (!!!) etc. We also have waterworks / roads / railways... These taken-for-granted "networks" are what support modern activity and is why you are able to sit (probably) in a well-lit room typing messages on F1Technical.net.

Human beings are fragile and technological advancements have made us even weaker. However, instead of going back to stone age, I think the only sensible way going forward is to gradually induce a paradigm shift so that new technology is built not only for the sake of making profit, but also for the longevity of resources and human coexistence with nature. That's no easy task by any means, of course, and will take generations to build.

Richard

nipo wrote:On a more serious note, do you think that human civilization can really go backwards?
It has happened before. Ask the Incas, Romans, Greeks, etc ....

As for causation of the volcano, if you agree with man made influence on global warming, and also that thickness of an ice sheet influences the timing and location eruptions from under that ice sheet, then there is a causal link.

Note a couple of caveats in that - I said "influence", climate change and volcanoes have many causal factors. The trouble is that hysteria reduces any debate to an ideological yes/no scenario.

autogyro

richard_leeds wrote:
nipo wrote:On a more serious note, do you think that human civilization can really go backwards?
It has happened before. Ask the Incas, Romans, Greeks, etc ....

As for causation of the volcano, if you agree with man made influence on global warming, and also that thickness of an ice sheet influences the timing and location eruptions from under that ice sheet, then there is a causal link.

Note a couple of caveats in that - I said "influence", climate change and volcanoes have many causal factors. The trouble is that hysteria reduces any debate to an ideological yes/no scenario.
Very astute Richard. There is no reason for hysteria it solves nothing.
Common sense should be the prime mover.
Unfortunately, vested interest and the current form of greedy world politics/econnomics with no sensible controlling force, prevents this.
The system of open exploitation of the planet developed by capitalism is the cause of all the current problems and the much worse ones to follow.

Just_a_fan

autogyro wrote:Unfortunately, vested interest and the current form of greedy world politics/econnomics with no sensible controlling force, prevents this.
The system of open exploitation of the planet developed by capitalism is the cause of all the current problems and the much worse ones to follow.
Nope. Massively excessive birth rate is the real problem. A few hundred million humans using resources the planet can handle. 7 billion trying to do the same is a whole different ball game.

We certainly don't need several billion people on this rock, especially when so many are struggling to feed themselves.

Of course, capitalism doesn't help the issue when you have so many people becuase it exacerbates the key issue which is resource apportionment. But then, all the way through human history, there are those who have, those who want and those who take. That's life and life ain't fair.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

autogyro

Just_a_fan wrote:
autogyro wrote:Unfortunately, vested interest and the current form of greedy world politics/econnomics with no sensible controlling force, prevents this.
Nope. Massively excessive birth rate is the real problem. A few hundred million humans using resources the planet can handle. 7 billion trying to do the same is a whole different ball game.

We certainly don't need several billion people on this rock, especially when so many are struggling to feed themselves.

Of course, capitalism doesn't help the issue when you have so many people becuase it exacerbates the key issue which is resource apportionment. But then, all the way through human history, there are those who have, those who want and those who take. That's life and life ain't fair.
Only one answer then and the neocons are well aware of it. WORLD WAR THREE
Forget common sense is that it?

andrew

nipo wrote:
andrew wrote:I'd rather not. If that happens, I'm moving to the moon! I won't get deaded when there is a crash if I'm up there. :lol:
Yeah cos on the moon your are dead anyway :lol:
Not if I take a space suit and a massive air supply. I've got all the bases covered on this one! 8)

ESPImperium

Its fun to see how the guys are getting home on Twitter.