F1 reverse line up

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
xpensive

Re: F1 reverse line up

pgj wrote:Qualifying would become a race of the slowest.
This would be the obvious result, dial in your car for race conditions during practice and crawl around in qualifying.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Chaparral

A stupid idea its like tying one boxers right arm behind him for a round then his opponents arm tyed the next - stupid stupid stupid theyve tried it with saloon cars and it ends up a demolition derby #-o
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

autogyro

Chaparral wrote:A stupid idea its like tying one boxers right arm behind him for a round then his opponents arm tyed the next - stupid stupid stupid theyve tried it with saloon cars and it ends up a demolition derby #-o
Great excitement at last.
I will be able to wake up and watch the racing.

autogyro

xpensive wrote:
pgj wrote:Qualifying would become a race of the slowest.
This would be the obvious result, dial in your car for race conditions during practice and crawl around in qualifying.
Not if the points were properly structured and given for qualifying position.

Chaparral

autogyro wrote:
Chaparral wrote:A stupid idea its like tying one boxers right arm behind him for a round then his opponents arm tyed the next - stupid stupid stupid theyve tried it with saloon cars and it ends up a demolition derby #-o
Great excitement at last.
I will be able to wake up and watch the racing.
Auto crikeys you are joking :lol: I suggest a valium and a good lay down will fix that problem - but seriously its never worked but I wonder why the concept was ever introduced - is it because 'promoters' thought that having some gladitorial contest where there was a chance of loads of crashes appeals to the attending public excites that particular audience (maybe it does in some areas) but in reality most motor sport people/fans just want racing - and strange as it may seem Ive noticed that theyre not that concerned that its close overtaking racing (as its portrayed in the motor sport press as being paramount to good racing) its more like as long as their team or particular driver wins or is ahead of another rival theyre happy - its been that way forever - todays racing in whatever forlulae youd like to mention is now so regulated that its a lucky dip as to who ends up winning - Mario Andretti said recently that with IRL you should be able to top 240 mph on ovals and (HAVE) to use the brakes into a corner and he's right - and that applies to all formulae - hopefully that makes sense
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

machin

but seriously its [reverse grids] never worked
Really? I've seen plenty of reverse grid races and they work well at promoting over-taking... I think AutoGyro will agree based on his Oval experiences.... Single seater drivers know they can't expect to sustain contact without damage, so the fear's of destruction derbes are unfounded. Even in amateur racing (where the standard of racing is lower) the concept still works as nobody wants to destroy a car they've probable spent a good deal of their own money on....
but in reality most motor sport people/fans just want racing - and strange as it may seem Ive noticed that theyre not that concerned that its close overtaking racing
So all the fan surveys are wrong then???!! All of them always come back with people wanting more over-taking in F1.... Even the teams and organisers have realised this, which is why they've produced the over-taking working group.... They know that if the fan's aren't interested they'll turn off, and the way to keep them interested is to increase overtaking....
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

WhiteBlue

Machin, of course the fans want overtaking. But they also want F1. In 100 years of GP racing we practically never had such a modus and F1 means you have got to conserve the ethos and DNA of the sport.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Reverse grids would give false overtaking and would be pretty much the same as what we currently have when the backmarkers are being lapped. Given that the likes of an HRT are nowhere near as fast as a Red Bull or a McLaren, having a bunch of slow cars at the front will be a disaster. Then there will be the faster teams deliberately posting slow times (oops, sorry I fluffed that corner. Darn my luck!). Maybe it is attractive for those who spend too much time on X-stations and Playboxes but it just wouldn't work and would be embarrasing and painful for a true fan to watch.

autogyro

andrew wrote:Reverse grids would give false overtaking and would be pretty much the same as what we currently have when the backmarkers are being lapped. Given that the likes of an HRT are nowhere near as fast as a Red Bull or a McLaren, having a bunch of slow cars at the front will be a disaster. Then there will be the faster teams deliberately posting slow times (oops, sorry I fluffed that corner. Darn my luck!). Maybe it is attractive for those who spend too much time on X-stations and Playboxes but it just wouldn't work and would be embarrasing and painful for a true fan to watch.
It is those on x boxes and playstations that have more to do with the current F1 grids than they do with reverse grids.
It is proper racing drivers who can drive ten laps one centimeter off the car in front without hiting it that race reverse grid ovals, not children on go karts who need space the size of a grollyball pitch to drive the car.

hollus

Are you seriously comparing overtaking in an oval to overtaking in a typical F1 circuit?
There was plenty of overtaking in Canada. Of difficult overtaking. One had to set it up properly, it was difficult to make it stick, but it was definitively possible. In football it is the many games ending 0-0 and 1-0 that make those 5-3 games so exceptionally exciting. Plenty f viewers in football (soccer), and plenty of viewers in F1.
What's been so wrong with F1 this year? I find we are having a great year, closely matched, exciting, and yes, mostly with (moderate) overtaking.
Rivals, not enemies.

machin

Then there will be the faster teams deliberately posting slow times
No one is suggesting that they should do qualifying as normal and then reverse the grid!!!... that would be stupid!!!... the suggestions are either: award points for qualifying as well (so there's an incentive to go fast to get the points, but have to start at the back), or do it as reverse championship order.
In 100 years of GP racing we practically never had such a modus and F1 means you have got to conserve the ethos and DNA of the sport.
When F1 started there was no downforce and cars would slipstream eachother and overtake eachother all race long. But F1 has moved on; The cars have lots of downforce and can't follow eachother close enough through the corners to benefit from the slipstream... to keep the racing exciting the rules have got to catch up with the cars.... Either that or take off most of the downforce... but that's the subject of a different thread....!
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

autogyro

hollus wrote:Are you seriously comparing overtaking in an oval to overtaking in a typical F1 circuit?
There was plenty of overtaking in Canada. Of difficult overtaking. One had to set it up properly, it was difficult to make it stick, but it was definitively possible. In football it is the many games ending 0-0 and 1-0 that make those 5-3 games so exceptionally exciting. Plenty f viewers in football (soccer), and plenty of viewers in F1.
What's been so wrong with F1 this year? I find we are having a great year, closely matched, exciting, and yes, mostly with (moderate) overtaking.
I am comparing having raced both ovals and circuits, although not F1.
Drivers on ovals in no contact formula have to be very precise and IMO have equal if not better driving ability as circuit drivers.
It has been for ever a scandal that oval racing has not received much more TV coverage than many of the boring circuit events covered.

readonly

WhiteBlue wrote:Machin, of course the fans want overtaking. But they also want F1. In 100 years of GP racing we practically never had such a modus and F1 means you have got to conserve the ethos and DNA of the sport.
I think the ethos and DNA of F1 is to allow drivers to use different cars that would give them an advantage during the race, races should be long enough to let the best car/driver get to P1. This simple "Formula" is responsible for the great historical success behind F1. Qualifying came later as a "solution" to the problem of Monaco where the best car/driver had no time to overtake everyone else and get P1. So I can't see qualy as part of the DNA of F1 and can be removed, especially if it is replaced with a reverse lineup based in the current WDC standings.