will schumachers new chassis be different ?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
marcush.

Re: will schumachers new chassis be different ?

conspiracy...looming everywhere ..yes?

But do you really think Norbert and Ross are idiots and short sighted enough to
bring something like this forward to buy them ...10 days of time to breath ..and not really as we see all are still occupied to try and talk michael down and find the bad aspects for mercedes hiring him ...
If they were not absolutely sure there was something wrong ,they would just shut up about the chassis and announce the barcelona upgrade ...and reassuring the hope for
things improving for Michael.
It would be idiotic to dwell on a chassis issue that is not real ,just to give MS a
reason for not performing as expected till barca and possibly for the board.. but what to tell after barcelona if michael is still playing second fiddle to Nico?
Hang him up at the pit entrance? or join the schumacher bashing club?
this does not add up.

bill shoe

I got this idea from pondering the Mercedes/Schumacher pace issue. Anytime we do development or testing in our day jobs there is always something like a control car for comparison. Technical minded F1 fans like us need some kind of control/reference car in F1. Then we can see when teams and drivers make improvements in an absolute sense instead of just seeing relative comparisons every weekend.

Did all teams improve by 0.2 seconds this weekend which masked team X's improvement, or is team X simply failing to progress? Did team Y really stop development on their car already or was that just bluster? If team Z starts the season 1 second behind and improves 2 seconds over the year then they are only half a season behind. If they start out 1 second behind and only improve 0.5 seconds then you know they are effectively 2 full seasons behind.

The teams or FIA could pay a small outfit to run a well developed year-old car in practice and qualifying. No additional development on it all year long. Hire Heidfeld to drive, he's a quality driver with nothing to do. Or better yet, hire two up and coming drivers who hate each other. The control car "team" becomes a free stage to prove themselves, and they will be guaranteed to put in consistent best-effort performances.

Yea, it's a silly idea but it's odd we have no reference for all the changes that are going on. I wonder if the teams would be comfortable with a control car to grade their improvement?

My guess is that technical managers exagerate the laptime improvements to the team bosses. That's my crude guess based on their incentives. Would the improvement claims look so impressive against the cold hard laptimes of a control car?

autogyro

IMO this issue about Schumakers chassis and what information is released, is under the control of Haug and Ross Brawn. There is little confirmed information for anyone outside the team to conclude anything useful.
It is frustrating for those who are part of the high standard in F1 knowledge on this forum but I can see no reason for a control/reference car, the lap times should be sufficient.

alelanza

marcush. wrote: brings back to me some concerns of forum members towards the Mercedes having possibly stiffness issues .
What did they base that on?
Alejandro L.

pgj
pgj

On BBC's Red Button Forum after the race in China, Norbert said that MS had been unhappy with his car for a while. He went on to say that Michael had complained that there was a fault with his car and the team were taking his claims very seriously. I would have expected that Michael would have been given the T car in most cases. It would have been a sure fire way of determining whether the problem that was being reported was structural or something more far reaching.
Williams and proud of it.

pgj
pgj

Williams and proud of it.

lebesset

the changes in driver line up this season have brought out some interesting comparisons

when button moved to McLaren I felt that he would have his good races , and hamilton others , according to the characteristics of the circuits, the weather etc. ; more the latter driver , at least in the first year
it has long been said that button could only drive a car exactly suited to his style , and when I saw him at valencia during the first test week I thought he was in big, big trouble ...he seemed more out of touch with the car than the rookies
however when I went to the barcelona tests things had improved dramatically , and subsequent events have shown what he can do with a car not yet to his taste

michael , on the other hand , was always said to be a ... drive anything on wheels ...type ; his performance in pre-season testing I put down to being ring rusty , who wouldn't be after three years out , but subsequent events have shown the truth , that he has to have a car tailored to his style ; the mercedes isn't the fastest on the grid but rosberg , a good but not [yet ? ] top driver , has shown what can be done with it

michael may have been shown to have feet of clay , and will never again have both chassis and tyres tailored exclusively to his needs as in the old days , but don't write him off yet ; with the expertise of ross brawn behind him I still expect to see him on the top step of the podium spraying the champagne

pity he came back , there was already enough tarnish on his reputation
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

marcush.

lebesset wrote:the changes in driver line up this season have brought out some interesting comparisons

when button moved to McLaren I felt that he would have his good races , and hamilton others , according to the characteristics of the circuits, the weather etc. ; more the latter driver , at least in the first year
it has long been said that button could only drive a car exactly suited to his style , and when I saw him at valencia during the first test week I thought he was in big, big trouble ...he seemed more out of touch with the car than the rookies
however when I went to the barcelona tests things had improved dramatically , and subsequent events have shown what he can do with a car not yet to his taste

michael , on the other hand , was always said to be a ... drive anything on wheels ...type ; his performance in pre-season testing I put down to being ring rusty , who wouldn't be after three years out , but subsequent events have shown the truth , that he has to have a car tailored to his style ; the mercedes isn't the fastest on the grid but rosberg , a good but not [yet ? ] top driver , has shown what can be done with it

michael may have been shown to have feet of clay , and will never again have both chassis and tyres tailored exclusively to his needs as in the old days , but don't write him off yet ; with the expertise of ross brawn behind him I still expect to see him on the top step of the podium spraying the champagne

pity he came back , there was already enough tarnish on his reputation
what is it with schumachers reputation ..there are things he did that were not
politically correct ,but then others did stupid things as well ,for example prost
taking Senna out in Japan or Senna taking out Prost the year after on purpose and admitting to do so..
if he likes to drive F1 cars and finds a worksdrive with his old mate why not .if this is not going to give him another title ,so what ...Hamilton will need a lot of luck and guts to get this far .to even think these titles were not based on ability and talent on his side is just rediculous..he was the reason why all this happened.

lebesset

POLITICALLY correct ?
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

marcush.

lebesset wrote:POLITICALLY correct ?
Schumacher was not actually the inventor of questionable tactics in their racing .Years before it was NORMAL to go out in qualy and deliberatly block others in their qualy especially in MonteCarlo for example.
Turning in on another guy trying to overtake you I agree was indeed a Schumacher invention.

mach11

as i see it... schumacher is having difficulty in adapting to the car this year. That does not mean he is struggling. A driver with his talent and experience... he can pick out even the smallest of problems from the car and report it back....and so what if he is struggling... every driver needs his time with the car... rubens struggled in the begining of last season when jenson won the first 6 races last year... but as the season progresses rubens had some brilliant performances....

Great drivers are like perfectionists.... they need every aspect of the car to be perfect.. but at the same time... they have this unique ability to adapt...
Ross Brawn, Andrew Shovlin need time to work with michael do get the car to where schumacher needs it... We all know what he can do with a car that suits his style......
marcush. wrote:
lebesset wrote:POLITICALLY correct ?
Schumacher was not actually the inventor of questionable tactics in their racing .Years before it was NORMAL to go out in qualy and deliberatly block others in their qualy especially in MonteCarlo for example.
Turning in on another guy trying to overtake you I agree was indeed a Schumacher invention.
i do agree that schumacher is no angel in the racing track... but other drivers in the past have also been talked about for their tactics... but the reason why schumi's name keeps coming up is because he has been in the sport for a long time... won everything possible..... other people just need to shut up and focus on how to reach such success rather than just talking about it....
"Be the change that you wish to see most in your world" -- Mahatma Gandhi

lebesset

ross brawn is on record as saying that michael is not good at car set up

edddie irvine said HE did all the set up work when he was at ferrari , only trouble was michael could always drive it faster than he could :(

however don't forget that the chassis was designed to michael's needs [ ferrari always had the longest wheelbase for example ]

is their ANYONE who believes there is something wrong with michael's chassis after repairs ; I think norbert is trying to keep his job after persuading the main board to pay michael ...he should have spent the money on kimi!

Rob W

Imagine if Michael gets his new chassis and is immediately half a second quicker than Rosberg.. (or far enough ahead for it to be very noticeable)

What will people be saying (claiming) then?..

lebesset

apart from demonstrating they he needs a tailored chassis , it all depends whether or not rosberg needs the same equipment

sounds like only micheal is going to get this improvement , so much for equal treatment for rosberg

Ganxxta

lebesset wrote: sounds like only micheal is going to get this improvement , so much for equal treatment for rosberg
You don't really think that Mercedes isn't able to develop two cars for Barcelona :lol: They aren't Virgin...

Besides that, Rosberg is 2nd in the DC and Mercedes is also not far away in the MC, they will have both cars updated, only Schumachers will be the (older) testchasis...