What recovery drive was the best for you?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
raymondu999

Re: What recovery drive was the best for you?

Wasn't there some race (which had a record 79 or 82 passes or so) where McLarens started 17th and 19th and finished 1st?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

godlameroso

Back on topic, Lewis "The Boss" Hamilton, Monaco 2008. Puncture, broken FW, huge luck, and a win.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2008/05/25/2 ... n-for-win/
Saishū kōnā

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

xpensive wrote:Nobody seems to remember John Watson? In 1982 he won from 17th on the grid, at the hopeless-to-pass Detroit track?
I have seens the highlights of that race and it is a fantastic drive from Watson and is often overlooked. Thanks for the reminder X.

xpensive

andrew wrote:
xpensive wrote:Nobody seems to remember John Watson? In 1982 he won from 17th on the grid, at the hopeless-to-pass Detroit track?
I have seens the highlights of that race and it is a fantastic drive from Watson and is often overlooked. Thanks for the reminder X.
And can you believe it, in the 1982 Long Beach GP, Watson started from 22nd and won?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Traction

I think I remember Nigel Mansell starting from 12th on the grid and winning...seems I remember it as if he started from the pits though :lol: hungarian GP....89....
Generally I don't care about what people say. I have to be clear with myself. When everything goes well, people celebrate you, when you make mistakes people criticize you.
Sebastian Vettel

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

xpensive wrote:
andrew wrote:
And can you believe it, in the 1982 Long Beach GP, Watson started from 22nd and won?
Watson is very much under-rated I think. One of the best on his day it seems.

xpensive

Indeed, such a shame he left Formula One the way he did, after being dropped by McLaren for a returning Alain Prost,
legend has it that he should have gotten Nigel Mansell's drive at Lotus if he had not priced himself out for the 1984 season.

Argument was that he had a better record than Lauda at McLaren and should be paid accordingly, stroke of luck for Mansell.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

marcush.

John Watswrong an outstanding TV host in the good old eurosport times as well...I still get wet eyes thinking of that time and having to make do with the likes of Waser/Danner/Lauda on RTL is like turning the knife in the wound ....what a shame.

freedom_honda

I have only started watching GP for a few years so I can't really comment on all the old races. But in my opinion the best recovery drive was Lewis Hamilton at 2008 the Turkey GP2 round.

raymondu999

I know that 2008 GP2 Turkey was great from Hamilton, but let's keep this thread F1 ;)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Gerhard Berger

andrew wrote:raymondu99 - he was stuck in 5th and still managed a pit stop and to finish second.

The best 3 best drives I can think of are all from Schumacher:

1. Spain 1996 - not a recover drive but amazing noe the less.
2. Belgium 1995 - had it all. 16th to 1st and made Damon Hill go running to the race stewards all for the crime of a firm but fair pass.
3. Sapin 1994 - stuck in 5th for most of the race and still finished 2nd.
If I remember correctly, Schumacher made a very bad start in Spain 96 (had a problem with his clutch, or something like that) and dropped to 7th or 8th so you could class it as a great recovery drive.

Muulka

I juast would like to add to all this about Schumacher's Championship-deciding manouvers. Just two little words, which you should think about, especially you Senna fans:

Susuka 1990

Stick that up your pipes and smoke it...

(If you don't understand that, it's Northern Irish slang :wink: )

beelsebob

Muulka wrote:I juast would like to add to all this about Schumacher's Championship-deciding manouvers. Just two little words, which you should think about, especially you Senna fans:

Susuka 1990

Stick that up your pipes and smoke it...

(If you don't understand that, it's Northern Irish slang :wink: )
That's not exactly a recovery drive >.> 89 was pretty incredible though.

enkidu

godlameroso wrote:Back on topic, Lewis "The Boss" Hamilton, Monaco 2008. Puncture, broken FW, huge luck, and a win.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2008/05/25/2 ... n-for-win/
haha its funny looking at those older cars... I remember the rule change to the current format looked horrible but I now actually prefer the newer cars to these old ones.

DaveKillens

I wanted to give this topic a while to digest, so that Button's win at Canada was appreciated. I've watched a lot of racing, and in a series where passing is difficult (compared to something like NASCAR restricter plate racing) and I really can't recall where a car that was dead last wound up winning. Make no mistake, what happened occurs rarely.

Michael Schumacher truly is a great racer, and some of his drives where he had to nurse the car home are legendary. If I was a team owner and I knew my car would develop problems during the race, Michael is the best man for the job, period. Overall, on average Schumacher is probably the best of the modern drivers.

But when you narrow it down to just one driver, just one race, Jenson Button's drive at Montreal is where I cast my vote.

It's a shame that this topic covers just F1, because Jacques Villeneuve's drive at the 1995 Indy 500 is my favorite.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.