What recovery drive was the best for you?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Mr Alcatraz

Re: What recovery drive was the best for you?

Although not generally considered one of the great all time recoveries, and considering the superiority of the F2004 I think Mike deserves some prop’s for his run from 17 to 3rd right on JPM's hind section at the finish at a wet Monza after he spun on the first lap.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Jeffsvilleusa

My vote goes for Alonso in Hungary 2006- okay, sure, he didn't finish the race, but if not for a faulty pit stop it would have been flawless.

Anyway, my favorite was already mentioned- Raikkonen Suzuka 05.

I know these don't involve nursing injured cars, but I think poor grid position warrants a 'recovery drive.'
Box! Box!

dren

For me, it's hard to top Button's most recent win in Canada although the DRS helped him quite a bit. Schumacher and Kimi are two others recently who have had great drives as well.
Honda!

crbassassin

Monza 2008 by Hamilton. He was just as fast as vettel if not faster. Too bad the weather didn't hold up, or he prbably would've finished 2nd.

Juzh

Vettel abu dhabi 2012, from pit lane start to 3rd. Also brazil 2012.

krisfx
krisfx

Diesel wrote:Schumacher has driven in to plenty of people though, need I remind you how he sealed his first championship? Don't go preaching he's 'firm but fair', he's ruthless, and that's what makes him one of the best.

On Topic. Jenson's drive in Canada was one of the most impressive 'from the back of the field' drives I've seen in a long time.

I would have to say Hamilton's GP2 drive in Turkey '06 is the most impressive in recent memory. Spins on the second lap which put him right at the back of the field. Spends the rest of the 23 lap race storming through the field to finish in second position. In my opinion it was probably the drive that really got him noticed that year.

Lewis should probably watch this race again, learn where he's been going wrong lately, such a brilliant race.

What makes Hamilton's drive so brilliant is that it was all in equal machinery, Button's was impressive in 2011, but yeah Turkey 06 is the stand out recovery drive for me also.

SectorOne

Since nobody has mentioned it, Hamilton, China, 17th to 5th in 9 laps. Snatched fastest lap and ended 2nd on the podium.
I believe Vettel, Button and a couple of other guys also ran through the field as well due to somewhat chaotic conditions.
Was a brilliant display of driving from many that day.

6:05 into the video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cdT6Ox5bSc[/youtube]

Too bad it does not show when he tried to get around Rosberg the same way he did Schumacher and Petrov, around the outside.
Rosberg was the only guy that knew what was happening and outsmarted Hamilton, pretty good awareness from ROS.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

aral
aral

dren wrote:For me, it's hard to top Button's most recent win in Canada although the DRS helped him quite a bit. Schumacher and Kimi are two others recently who have had great drives as well.
Buttons win in Canada, was down totally due to the safety car that allowed him to make up a lap and a half. The most impressive recovery drive was that by Vettel in Brazil. from dead last, and in the pits, without radio and with a damaged car, and then to save the wdc!

raymondu999

From dead last and in the pits? That was Abu Dhabi. Vettel started 4th in Brazil 2012 (spun to last on the opening lap)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Juzh

raymondu999 wrote:From dead last and in the pits? That was Abu Dhabi. Vettel started 4th in Brazil 2012 (spun to last on the opening lap)
Has to be said that without failed 1 minute pitstop at the end of the race he would finish second and probably not quite far of button.

SectorOne

Without Hamilton breaking down he would have finished 3rd. With a top speed modified car, that got help with safety car after safety car.

Brazil was far more impressive. And far more lucky ;)
Last edited by SectorOne on 18 Sep 2013, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

wesley123
wesley123

Japan 2005, Raikkonen was far down on the grid in 17th and went on to win the race. He wasn't helped by the weather in any way on race day.

Also Barrichello's win in the 2000 German grand prix was pretty impressive. From 18th on the grid he would go on to score his first race win.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

aral
aral

raymondu999 wrote:From dead last and in the pits? That was Abu Dhabi. Vettel started 4th in Brazil 2012 (spun to last on the opening lap)
Yes, and that was his recovery!..Isnt that the title of the thread? If some people are claiming that Buttons drive from last to win (with aid of SC ) was a recovery, then why would Vettels not be clased as one?

raymondu999

gilgen wrote:
Yes, and that was his recovery!..Isnt that the title of the thread? If some people are claiming that Buttons drive from last to win (with aid of SC ) was a recovery, then why would Vettels not be clased as one?
Brazil (4th-last-6th) still counts as recovery. But he did NOT do this:
The most impressive recovery drive was that by Vettel in Brazil. from dead last, and in the pits, without radio
a) He had radio
b) He started 4th, not dead last, and he started from the grid, not from the pits.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Spacepace

gilgen wrote:
Probably considering Button won the race