2010, Under the old points system

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Raptor22
Raptor22

Re: 2010, Under the old points system

NIce job Raymond.

Interesting that Alonso and Hamilton are always so close on points. Hamilton gives too many away but it sort of reinforces the belief that Hamilton is better driver than Alonso ever could hope to be. Alonso is a very good cry baby though.

Looking back over the past 6 or 7 seasons, its easy to see how he used his crying to great effect. Darn footballer

raymondu999

No it doesn't. But what I'm saying is, if you look, those with more 2nd places has usually dropped in the new system. :wtf:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Richard
Richard

It is amazing how close they all are. Each of the top 4 had moments this season where they made silly mistakes. So plenty of room for "what if".

Mandrake
Mandrake

raymondu999 wrote:No it doesn't. But what I'm saying is, if you look, those with more 2nd places has usually dropped in the new system. :wtf:
This is what the new system was supposed to deliver wasn't it? Valuing victories more than with the 10-8 scheme. I'm glad that in the end the new scoring systems works as well as the old one, the only sad thing is that all the old records / statistics cannot be compared with what drivers achieve nowadays.

Giblet
Giblet

Thanks for doing this all season raymondu999.

I look forward to your 2010/2011 point difference calculations ;)

(kidding obviously, it would a rather pointless endeavour)
((pardon the pun))
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

raymondu999

Sure. I kept a running spreadsheet of this all season anyways, so I thought I might as well post it up on the forum for everyone to peruse :mrgreen:

pun pardoned :mrgreen:

I'm thinking of doing the same for 2011 though... see if the points make any big differences again for a 2nd year.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Richard
Richard

Mandrake wrote:This is what the new system was supposed to deliver wasn't it? Valuing victories more than with the 10-8 scheme. I'm glad that in the end the new scoring systems works as well as the old one, the only sad thing is that all the old records / statistics cannot be compared with what drivers achieve nowadays.
I recall that the original proposition had 1-2-3 places with same % as the old system, the tweak to give an advantage to the winner was added after the initial proposal.

While the new system gives an advantage to winning, it also give a safety net to leading teams who have a problem because they pick up a few points where they would once have got none.

So Webber got 2 points in Australia when he was 9th and ended up 2 points clear of Hamilton. That is also how Massa got 2 more points that Rosberg. Both those pairs would be on equal points if P9 & P10 were ignored, although countback would give the same positions as nwow.

Arunas
Arunas

It can be interesting to calculate points for "qualifying championship". That can give us good indication about speed capabilities of different chassis/teams. Guess RB won it by some margin...

paipa
paipa

Arunas wrote:It can be interesting to calculate points for "qualifying championship". That can give us good indication about speed capabilities of different chassis/teams. Guess RB won it by some margin...
I've done it. Here you go, in both point systems. I also put the official WDC points next to them for reference.

Code: Select all

25-pt 10-pt official
VET  384   156    256
WEB  336   141    242 
HAM  233   96     240
ALO  230   93     252
BUT  144   57     214
MAS  142   54     144
ROS  119   44     142
KUB  119   41     136
MSC  56    16     72
BAR  56    16     47
HUL  49    16     22
SUT  21    6      47
PET  11    2      27
LIU  10    3      21
KOB  5     0      32
PDL  4     0      6
BUE  0     0      8
HEI  0     0      6
ALG  0     0      5
Had everyone always finished in the position they started at, Vettel would have won by 151 points over the first non-Red Bull, and even Webber would have cleared Hamilton by more than a hundred. Wow.

Edit: here's a chart.
Last edited by paipa on 17 Nov 2010, 03:33, edited 1 time in total.

Arunas
Arunas

This clearly shows true reasons for why Vettel is champ. For me Hamilton and Alonso did much better job this year, the same must be said about Kubica and Rosberg. Thankfully any of these four got to use such quick vehicle like Red Bull, as WDC have been decided long time ago.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Wow, Button's qualifying handicap is really apparent in that chart.

It's actually really interesting...

Red Bull on average went backwards on race day, as did Williams. All other teams appeared to race better than they qualified - Button being the biggest example of this.

paipa
paipa

Diesel wrote:Wow, Button's qualifying handicap is really apparent in that chart.

It's actually really interesting...

Red Bull on average went backwards on race day, as did Williams. All other teams appeared to race better than they qualified - Button being the biggest example of this.
Since Red Bull had been really consistent on qualifying at the front it was normal for them to fall back somewhat (nobody retires in front of them, they cannot gain places on starts, only lose them) but the extent is just staggering.

Vettel could still have been champion if he retired 5 times from 1st place given that he hold on to his position on the rest of the races. His qualifying and race positions had a difference of -128 points which is absolutely incredible, let alone in a championship winning year and I'm sure this is some kind of a record.

Webber was throwing away points even more irresponsibly, he managed to lose 94 that is still almost 4 victories but he's done it without a single mechanical failure all year. Borderline ridiculous.

It's impossible to not note Button, who (unlike Massa) at least compensated his poor qualifying performance with very decent race results. +70 points didn't come around by just two lucky calls, he was doing it consistently. Well done to Kobayashi as well, he's obviously blessed in the racecraft department.

Mandrake
Mandrake

Impressive statistics you have prepared there. I'd love to see the same chart discounting all the mechanical DNFs and driver-unrelated fallbacks.

The points loss for Vettel seems massive, but removing the DNFs he did not cause himself would show better stats for him, especially compared to Webber then!