COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

Pup
Pup

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

It's only sort of a hairpin. I like it as it is, but I do think it would be interesting your way. It's sort of a given these days that every new track has to have a sharp corner at the end of the main straight, and it would be nice to have something a bit different.

On the other hand, Spa is Spa, and Austin will be Austin. It's got enough character I think to hold its own. I think the drivers will love it and the fans, too. I do think it has a chance to become a classic.

IMO, the best way to improve it would be to get rid of the mickey mouse section, but then I think that about every course.

sknguy

The important feature of turn one to me isn't really the turn, but the braking zone. With the way the perelli's degrade I think the wear may heighten some of the circuit's features. Being new, I don't know what the actual surface will be like on the degradation, but combined, the turns and braking zones will certainly be demanding on the tires. And I think that the braking zone will be the important aspect of the whole turn one.

FW17

Pup wrote:but I do think it would be interesting your way.

And mess up tevo's work of art?

HS will find me and set me on fire (and probable douse it too)

I like the turn 1 as it is, only not going gaga over it as many, and certainly would not call it a signature turn.

If any corner would be changed, it would be the stadium section T13 and T15. Would have them as two low speed high banked turns as in Bristol speed way, to promote multiple lines and something different in F1

Ray

Wow. I thought it was a cool picture and now the turn is being called manner of insults. Are none of you ever satisfied? Must you always have something to bitch about and pick apart bit by bit? It's a turn on a track we've never seen F1 cars on before, maybe it won't be that bad. Jesus. Last time I post any pictures here.

hairy_scotsman

WilliamsF1 wrote:
Pup wrote:but I do think it would be interesting your way.

And mess up tevo's work of art?

HS will find me and set me on fire (and probable douse it too)

I like the turn 1 as it is, only not going gaga over it as many, and certainly would not call it a signature turn.

If any corner would be changed, it would be the stadium section T13 and T15.
Agree...and I haven't set anyone on fire......in a long time. ;)

BTW, lately we've been posting discussion questions every so often on the FB page.

Here is today's, in case you're interested:

If you were responsible for signing racing series for Circuit of the Americas, which would you go after, which would be your top priorities, and how would you package them, etc?
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

Pup
Pup

Some nice new detail shots of the grandstand construction from MRA...

Richard

Looking at those pics, it would appear that the elevation of turn 1 will foreshorten the perspective, cars wouldn't seem to disappear into the distance. Having said that, even Sao Paulo and Eau Rouge seem flat on TV.

hairy_scotsman

Some asphalt has been laid on turn 1.

No pics yet. Sorry. Mama had the camera & all I had was my phone, which is great up close, but no good for distant detail.

I should be able to get some shots of it on Friday morning on the way home from work.

ETA:

hairy_scotsman

‎...and here's a great shot, by on of our FB friends from a commercial jet yesterday morning.

Pup
Pup

Pup
Pup

360 of the grandstand/front straight from MRA...

http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=14d ... 4ca4fddcbf

and of the amphitheater...

http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=640 ... 7c654ffcf2

hairy_scotsman

Draft 1 of the COTA transportation plan is out in the open. I saw it first hand earlier this afternoon, but Austin Race Hotels has done a great job of hitting on many key aspects of the plan (@AustinRaceHotel):
- NEW Circuit of the Americas traffic plan, proposed shuttle sites, on-site parking, bike & pedestrian info: http://www.kvue.com/news/Circuit-of-the ... 66805.html

- Estimated shuttle transport time from downtown #Austin: 80 mins. Private car time to exit the Circuit of the Americas: 2-3 hours
- CoTA bike parking at Moore's Crossing bridge is famous for being haunted. Woo!
- Cyclists will not be able to ride onto COTA property. There will be a park & lock at the haunted bridge ...ahem, Moore Bridge Road.
- According to this document, VIP attendees include #F1, COTA, & local officials, media, participants, owners, sponsors, & other stakeholders.
- Hm, looks as though car pooling in addition to the provided shuttles will be advised.
- Here come the #Austin #F1 schedule of events (under development): Thursday, November 15  Formula One practice, 10am to 4pm (She didn't get that wrong. The document says that.)
- Friday, November 16  Spectator shuttles, 8am to 7pm (start/end times under development)  Formula One Practice Sessions 1 and 2 10am to 4pm
- Saturday, November 17  Spectator shuttles, 8am - 7pm (start/end times under development)  F1 Practice Session 3 & Qualifying, 10am - 4pm
- Sunday, November 18 - United States Formula One Grand Prix, 1:00 pm  Spectator shuttles, 7am-8pm (start/end times under development)
- It's estimated times for now, for the people parking their own cars on the lot. Roads around the circuit are tiny
- "Parking permits will be issued along with the tickets no later than four weeks prior to event."
- Note this, travelers >>> Cash Parking Lots (day of the event) will not be available on-site at COTA.
- Taxis, hotel complimentary shuttle service to & from COTA will not be allowed in.
- Hotel shuttles will be allowed to shuttle to/from the COTA park-n-ride lots.

- Actively seeking bus/motorcoach providers who have low-emission buses  Bicycle access route, from downtown Austin under development
- Parking permits for RVs could be available early in June.
- The plan includes suggestions to help with traffic in the future. For example, a light-rail to airport & CoTA

bhall

:lol:

FW17

Pup wrote:Some nice new detail shots of the grandstand construction from MRA...

Do have to say that the pace of the GS construction is quiet unimpressive. I expected that steel and concrete to have been much faster (say a month)

strad

Parking permits for RVs could be available early in June.
The only way to go,,,
Hmmmmmmm a friend bought a shiny new one and will sell me his quite serviceable 1994 Model for $2000
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss