No more Monaco?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Should Monaco remain on the calendar?

Yes - They should continue as is.
64%
Yes - They should pay a fee and remain.
20%
No - Drop Monaco from the calendar.
16%

Total votes: 70

Giblet
Giblet

Re: No more Monaco?

Princes don't f around. They get s done.

When a race is your dead royal father's legacy, you don't mess that up with trivialities like $$$, which, let's face it, Monaco is full of.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

manchild
manchild

andrew wrote:I was think this might have just been PR but clearly not.
I was thinking that you were hired PR for dropping of Monaco or at least having something personal against that brightest jewel in the crown of F1 circuits. Never seen so many post against any circuit. Must be something deeper behind it.

Here is the list showing in red circuits I'd drop:

Bahrain GP - Bahrain International Circuit**
Australian GP - Albert Park Grand Prix Circuit**
Malaysian GP - Sepang International Circuit**
Chinese GP - Shanghai International Circuit**
Spanish GP - Circuit de Catalunya**
Monaco GP - Circuit de Monaco**
Turkish GP - Istanbul Park**
Canadian GP - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve**
Europe European GP - Valencia Street Circuit**
British GP - Silverstone Circuit**
German GP - Hockenheimring**
Hungarian GP – Hungaroring**
Belgian GP - Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps**
Italian GP - Autodromo Nazionale Monza**
Singapore GP - Marina Bay Street Circuit**
Japanese GP - Suzuka Circuit**
Korean GP - Korean International Circuit - Undecided
Brazilian GP - Autódromo José Carlos Pace **
Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina Circuit**

Bring back:

French GP - Magny Cours
San Marino GP - Imola
Portugese GP - Estoril
Argentinian GP - Oscar Alfredo Gálvez
Dutch GP - Zandvoort
Swedish GP - Anderstorp
South Africa GP - Kyalami
Austrian GP - Zeltweg

Introduce:

Czech GP - Brno

WhiteBlue

Magny Cours for Istanbul Park? Makes no sense to me. The Turkish track is absolutely beautiful and it produces good racing. All they need to do is take it away from Ecclestone and make sensible prices for the lokals to attend the race.

Sepang and China also produce good racing. With your mainly European calendar you will seriously damage F1's internationality. We need more races in America and I hope that Austin will be good.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

manchild
manchild

France - First GP ever (1906), Renault, Peugeot, Citroen, Bugatti, Michelin, ELF/TOTAL

Turkey - what?

"With your mainly European calendar you will seriously damage F1's internationality."

In it's best decades, when it gained popularity, F1 was mainly as suggested.

Scuderia_Russ

Both Hungaroring and Magny Cours are a waste of space IMO.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

manchild
manchild

Scuderia_Russ wrote:Both Hungaroring and Magny Cours are a waste of space IMO.
Someone from France could say the same for Silverstone. :roll:

I'm not insisting on Magny Cours as circuit, it's just that France as the cradle of motorsport and GP racing, a country highly involved in motorsport globally and F1 should have a F1 GP. Mangy Cours, Paul Ricard some older rejuvenated circuit like Clermon Feran or Dijon - irrelevant. Personally, I'd fix up Le Mans for modern F1 standards. That is also the most active circuit as it hosts 24hrs race.

There should be a GP in France.

zgred

Surprise, surprise: new deal for Monte Carlo!
grandprix.com wrote:Monaco has agreed a new 10-year deal with Formula 1 commercial rights holder Bernie Ecclestone after a meeting in London today.
(...)

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

manchild wrote:
I was thinking that you were hired PR for dropping of Monaco or at least having something personal against that brightest jewel in the crown of F1 circuits. Never seen so many post against any circuit. Must be something deeper behind it./quote]

There's always a barb in you comment's ain't there? Nothing personnal against Monaco, just plain don't like the race. What's wrong with that?

I accept that you and others like the Monaco GP so please accept that I don't. Others have stated their reasons for liking the race and I have stated my reasons for disliking it.

However I would agree with your list except I would keep Sepang (tilke's one good track) and ditch Silverstone and Monaco. The problem with Brno is that it's a great bike circuit and changing it to suit F1 may ruin it. Then there is the whole thing of getting the tracks up to Class 1 status and fitting in enough grandstands for Bernie to increase his wealth.

forty-two

manchild wrote:
I was thinking that you were hired PR for dropping of Monaco or at least having something personal against that brightest jewel in the crown of F1 circuits. Never seen so many post against any circuit. Must be something deeper behind it.

Here is the list showing in red circuits I'd drop:

Bahrain GP - Bahrain International Circuit**
Australian GP - Albert Park Grand Prix Circuit**
Malaysian GP - Sepang International Circuit**
Chinese GP - Shanghai International Circuit**
Spanish GP - Circuit de Catalunya**
Monaco GP - Circuit de Monaco**
Turkish GP - Istanbul Park**
Canadian GP - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve**
Europe European GP - Valencia Street Circuit**
British GP - Silverstone Circuit**
German GP - Hockenheimring**
Hungarian GP – Hungaroring**
Belgian GP - Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps**
Italian GP - Autodromo Nazionale Monza**
Singapore GP - Marina Bay Street Circuit**
Japanese GP - Suzuka Circuit**
Korean GP - Korean International Circuit - Undecided
Brazilian GP - Autódromo José Carlos Pace **
Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina Circuit**

Bring back:

French GP - Magny Cours
San Marino GP - Imola
Portugese GP - Estoril
Argentinian GP - Oscar Alfredo Gálvez
Dutch GP - Zandvoort
Swedish GP - Anderstorp
South Africa GP - Kyalami
Austrian GP - Zeltweg

Introduce:

Czech GP - Brno
I agree with you with the exception of the removal of Sepang, which often produces good racing, and the reintroduction of Imola, which never did it for me.

Lots of the newer Tilke designed circuits have all the heart and soul of a business park in Slough (apologies for anyone who doesn't know Slough, but trust me, you're better off not knowing!).

Don't know why someone living in the UK, and a fan of F1 would suggest the dropping of the BRITISH grand prix, but I for one love the Silverstone race, and all the heritage that goes with it.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Super racing
Super racing

manchild wrote:
Scuderia_Russ wrote:Both Hungaroring and Magny Cours are a waste of space IMO.
Someone from France could say the same for Silverstone. :roll:

I'm not insisting on Magny Cours as circuit, it's just that France as the cradle of motorsport and GP racing, a country highly involved in motorsport globally and F1 should have a F1 GP. Mangy Cours, Paul Ricard some older rejuvenated circuit like Clermon Feran or Dijon - irrelevant. Personally, I'd fix up Le Mans for modern F1 standards. That is also the most active circuit as it hosts 24hrs race.

There should be a GP in France.
There is... except it is in Monaco, and that is close enough, and so is Spa... how many Gp's need to be within that small land mass called Europe?

Giblet
Giblet

I accept that some people don't like Monaco, I have difficulty with the repeated exclamations about any one opinion.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

manchild
manchild

Super racing wrote:There is... except it is in Monaco, and that is close enough, and so is Spa... how many Gp's need to be within that small land mass called Europe?
Monaco is not in France...

How many in Europe? I really can't seam to understand the lack of respect to tradition and heritage shown by some posters. F1/GP racing is European offspring, it was and still is part of European tradition, heritage and culture for over one century. It was good from day 1, for decades, and now all of the sudden people would like to wipe out charismatic, legendary circuits for the sake of some artificial business-only circuits all over the world. I'd rather have season with 6 x races in Monaco, Spa and Monza than on 20 different Tilkedroms with no tradition, charisma and heritage.

If someone wants new global series or world GP championship let them make something like A1GP (which we've seen how "popular" it was).

Super racing
Super racing

Only Europeans care about your european "traditions" and "heritage", the rest of the world could really not care less.

Luxemberg GP was not in Luxemberg, neither was San Marino GP, Go to the highest point in Monaco and look around, all you will see is France or Water... Monaco is in France good enough. Just because there is another country every 12 steps in europe does not mean each one should(or could) host a GP. France should build a good track and put up the money or just watch it on TV.

I happen to like some of the dreaded Tilkedromes, but feel free to rewatch those 3 races 6 times every year and ignore the rest of the races since they dont have any "tradition" or "heritage".

Human beings have been racing for thousands of years, whether it be foot races, swimming, canoeing, horse racing, sailboats, or whatever... just because they started racing cars in europe does not mean that racing should somehow be confined there. The wheel was not invented in europe so stop using it! Tradition demands it!

Agenda_Is_Incorrect
Agenda_Is_Incorrect

Super racing, independent of you liking or disliking Europe or European races, some respect regarding traditions, nationalities and countries is required. Monaco is not France, the sea or Italy. As many territories in the world and in Europe, they are an independent region with it's own government, traditions and even language. We don't know were you are from but I'm sure you wouldn't like to have your heritage and nationality put down and reduced to something irrelevant and that no one cares but yourself.

It's the same with many F1 tracks that happen to be in Europe. It's part of the sport tradition and history, if people like it or not it doesn't change this and their merits. Just because someone races by foot or horse since the beginning of the humanity that also doesn't change this fact and F1 racing own past. That applies with the Monaco race as well, as it is of undeniable importance on F1's tradition, fame and uniqueness. The real problem is that if this importance and tradition overcomes the also undeniable limitations of the place in modern F1, and apparently it does by the contract extension. And between a track with not very good racing and tradition to the sport and one that has the same problem and no tradition on top, the choice isn't very hard.
I've been censored by a moderation team that rather see people dying and being shot at terrorist attacks than allowing people to speak the truth. That's racist apparently.

God made Trump win for a reason.

Mr Alcatraz

Personally I like Magny Cours. One of my favorite races is the 2004 French GP. Mikes (or Brawns) improvised 4 stop strategy was epic edge of your seat entertainment. That was also the race that Rubens passed Trulli on the last corner of the last lap to earn a podium. However the current regs reward qualifying in a way that diminishes circuits that don’t have long wide straights, by limiting pit strategy. Unless F1 goes back to refueling, Magny Cours will not be able to give us the benefit of its unique pit-in/out. That’s a shame, however the good news is Bernie can’t live forever and maybe the new management will understand that to the true motorsport enthusiast it is really obscene to stick a GP someplace that has no tradition of domestic open wheel racing. IMO
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand