F1 drivers salaries.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Are F1 drivers paid too much?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 79

clipsy1H

Re: F1 drivers salaries.

astracrazy wrote:i think thats wrong. Im sure its been well documented that Hamilton is on 15M (at mclaren)? and i thought mclaren were pretty strict on endorsements so I can't see he would have 21M worth. If you said 21M with endorsements it would be more understandable.

To my understanding, Alonso is the highest paid

or is this total over the course of a contract 3/4 years?

edit: btw you didn't say its in $. So some is right but i still think Alonso is the highest paid
yes! he is highest paid with 29 millions but with endorsement Button and Lewis get more (that's what forbes say) i also find another link direct to forbes website who say Alonso is highest paid with 32 millions (29S+3E) next is Rossi with 30 millions (17S+13E) and Schumacher 30 millions (20S+10E).... Lewis is placed after them with just 28 Millions (25S+3E) and i think is more accurate :D 3 million endorsement for Lewis is plausible ---> http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mli45igd ... do-alonso/ (click on arrow go to next photo)

astracrazy
astracrazy

yes that sounds more correct

jdlive
jdlive

czt wrote:
wesley123 wrote:why is kimi in the list? Im sure he doesnt drive F1 anymore...
Because Ferrari are paying for him not to race this year
Ferrari actually paid him €16 million to not race?
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."

Websta

jdlive wrote:
czt wrote:
wesley123 wrote:why is kimi in the list? Im sure he doesnt drive F1 anymore...
Because Ferrari are paying for him not to race this year
Ferrari actually paid him €16 million to not race?
He was contracted to race for Ferrari until the end of 2010 - but they wanted Alonso and couldn't cut Massa (not sure about his contract at the time) because of his condition (would be too cold hearted) and he had been outperforming Raikkonen for 2 years anyway. So they had to pay the rest of Raikkonen's contract.

CHT
CHT

Cam wrote:10. Heikki Kovalainen Caterham F1 Team €4m
I am actually surprise that Heikki is paid this much. It will be interesting to see if Caterham will extend his contract after losing 10th place in constructor to Marussia

strad

I remember when Phil Hill and Enzo split because Enzo would not pay him more than$10,000 a year..so..Yeah I think they are over paid,,ESPECIALLY today when it's 80% car and 20% or less driver.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

raymondu999

strad wrote:today when it's 80% car and 20% or less driver.
I disagree with this statement. IMO the DIFFERENCE between the various laptimes (say, on a qualifying lap) is 80% car and 20% driver. But that's because the whole field is so good anyways, that they're all getting very close to the maximum.

Try putting a common janitor in one of the cars - I doubt he'll be within 20% of the laptime that a Vettel or a Hamilton or Alonso sets any time soon.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

strad

Who said he would be?
The point is, Long gone are the days when a top driver can carry a poor car to the front. Hell Vettel couldn't move the HRT up the table 4 positions. Today more than ever ya gotta have the car..Don't believe me?...Watch next year.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

raymondu999

Yes - but my point is; these guys are paid those millions for a reason. If you tried to get a driver worth 30,000 a month to do the driving - you still wouldn't be winning much, because the rest of the grid are just too good.

Mind you, for reference - 10,000 in 1962 would have the same buying power as around 75,000 - 76,000 today. Can't give exact figures as I don't have a calculator on me at the moment.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

snoop1050
snoop1050

certainly overpaid its not like they do hundreds of miles a week on a test track anymore they pretty much turn up on a weekend and go home

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

As with all financial issues, they're worth what someone is prepared to pay them. If someone considers Alonso to be worth paying $30m per year then that's what he's worth.

I reckon there's a lot of envy just below the surface in these discussions...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

strad

Just_a_fan wrote:As with all financial issues, they're worth what someone is prepared to pay them. If someone considers Alonso to be worth paying $30m per year then that's what he's worth.

On the first part you are of course correct. On the second you're totally wrong.
Of course they should grab as much as some fool will pay, but as with all things F1, it's way over inflated.
Sir Stirling Moss

megz

Post deleted, I done goofed

Caito
Caito

strad wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:As with all financial issues, they're worth what someone is prepared to pay them. If someone considers Alonso to be worth paying $30m per year then that's what he's worth.

On the first part you are of course correct. On the second you're totally wrong.
Of course they should grab as much as some fool will pay, but as with all things F1, it's way over inflated.
Offer and demand.

The same that happens with the pay drivers, but backwards.

Someone will pay a lot more to have a driver bring 0.1s because there is still a net positive revenue.

What do you care in paying XX driver 15Mill if it will bring 16Mill to the team.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Caito wrote:What do you care in paying XX driver 15Mill if it will bring 16Mill to the team.
I vaguely remember hearing that most/all of Schuie's salary at Ferrari was actually paid by Marlboro. In effect, he didn't cost Ferrari a penny...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.