Lotus Racing announced it will change its name to Team Lotus

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
gridwalker

Re: Lotus Racing announced it will change its name to Team L

I am having difficulty believing that Fernandez could be quite so arrogant as to trade upon (and go to court over) an adopted historic brand that he hadn't even paid for ... what could he hope to prove by taking this course of action?

Could Fernandez have hoped to pay off David Hunt using the proceeds of the court case against Group Lotus, thereby financing a hijack of the Team Lotus brand without investing more of his personal fortune? I cannot bring myself to believe that this would be the case (it is a risky strategy at best) but I cannot think of another reason why Tony would risk his trump card like this.

David Hunt could have been persuaded/bribed to switch over to the Group Lotus camp (as the Chapmans were before him) and is spreading rumors to destabilise Fernandez, but surely Tony would still be able to demonstrate proof of purchase. No experienced businessman would stake their business upon disputed IP rights without ensuring that ownership could be verified.

Something just doesn't add up here.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

CHT
CHT

the report mentioned the Tony and Hunt actually strike a deal as recent as January. Does that mean that Tony's claim of owning the rights to using the brand Lotus is nothing by hot air, and that the transaction was never completed??

FW17

CHT wrote:the report mentioned the Tony and Hunt actually strike a deal as recent as January. Does that mean that Tony's claim of owning the rights to using the brand Lotus is nothing by hot air, and that the transaction was never completed??

Maybe this is not regarding the naming rights but David Hunt's role in Team Lotus post sale.

“What angers me is that I have, in good faith, worked extremely hard on the build-up to the hearing because I believed Tony would honour our January agreement. “He’s apparently ‘changed his mind’ at the 11th hour, by his own admission, now that I’ve done so much work on his company’s behalf, and he’s trying to renegotiate by offering new terms which are, frankly, ludicrous.

No where does it mention that the agreement was sale of the Team Lotus

gridwalker

ESPN-F1 wrote:Hunt sold the 'Team Lotus' name to Tony Fernandes but The Telegraph reports that he is now preparing to sue the Malaysian, alleging that Fernandes has yet to pay for the name.
There you go.

Full article : http://en.espnf1.com/lotus/motorsport/story/43663.html
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

gibells

Speculating, I'd say that Tony realised that the name may be worth nothing and decided not to part company with his hard earned. For all David Hunt's piety, spending millions in buying the rights to a name only to find they're worth nothing would leave you with a bitter taste in your mouth.

Sebp

Hangaku

... which is good news!
Yer.

FW17

What was the verdict on Group Lotus using Team Lotus history? The passing off claim.

marcush.

Congrats to Tony Fernandes

Richard

I see it differently.

Yes Fernandes has the sole right to own a company called "Team Lotus" in F1. However, you'll only see the word "Lotus" on the chassis list and timesheets for that team, not on the cars.

The team formerly known as Renault (ie Group Lotus) have the rights to the branding:
Group Lotus has goodwill associated with the name “Lotus” in Formula 1 and is free to compete in the sport under that name using the Lotus roundel;

Group Lotus is entitled to race in F1 using the historic black and gold livery;

1MRT is in breach of the Licence granted to them by Group Lotus to race in F1 under the name Lotus Racing and has awarded Group Lotus damages in respect of that breach;

Team Lotus Ventures Limited’s trade mark registrations in the name of Team Lotus are cancelled as a result of non-use;

Group Lotus trade mark registrations are unaffected; and

Group Lotus has the right to use the Lotus marque on cars for road use.
I suspect we'll see Fernandes heading up a team called Caterham in 2012

ESPImperium

richard_leeds wrote:I see it differently.

Yes Fernandes has the sole right to own a company called "Team Lotus" in F1. However, you'll only see the word "Lotus" on the chassis list and timesheets for that team, not on the cars.

The team formerly known as Renault (ie Group Lotus) have the rights to the branding:
Group Lotus has goodwill associated with the name “Lotus” in Formula 1 and is free to compete in the sport under that name using the Lotus roundel;

Group Lotus is entitled to race in F1 using the historic black and gold livery;

1MRT is in breach of the Licence granted to them by Group Lotus to race in F1 under the name Lotus Racing and has awarded Group Lotus damages in respect of that breach;

Team Lotus Ventures Limited’s trade mark registrations in the name of Team Lotus are cancelled as a result of non-use;

Group Lotus trade mark registrations are unaffected; and

Group Lotus has the right to use the Lotus marque on cars for road use.
I suspect we'll see Fernandes heading up a team called Caterham in 2012
I suspect the same thing. I suspect he will keep the GP2 team as Team AirAsia as its starting to be a strong associated team brand in GP2now, and the new GP2 is only a few races old in effect. However i can see Team Lotus being rebranded Team Caterham-Renault now. Would make sence, and if he could sell the Team Lotus rights to Group Lotus for a tidy sum, is recon that all parties would be happy.

I congratulate Fernandes on his victory on this, but feel that this is only one battle out of the way, and have a feeling this is not fully over yet.

GTO

This verdit does not solve the issue of 2 F1 teams still using the same name. USELESS VERDICT! :x

Richard

The verdict could only be based on the contracts presented to the court. Useless contracts.

andartop

GTO wrote:This verdit does not solve the issue of 2 F1 teams still using the same name. USELESS VERDICT! :x
Despite what any verdict might say, the reality is that everybody refers to the green cars as "Lotus" and the black/gold ones as "Renault"...

Group Lotus may win or lose all the court battles in the world, but to the F1 fans and broadcasters they've already lost the rights to the name Lotus before the season even started. :lol:
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

jaslfc

Pandamasque wrote:
CHT wrote:Tony Fernandes is just using F1 as a publicity stun to promote Airasia, he should just do what Richard Branson did and call it Team Airasia instead of Team Lotus.
Team Lotus name is a lot more helpful for attracting other sponsors, than Team Air Asia. :wink: Besides it looks like he has the legal right.
I used to be very sceptical about this team a year ago, now I'm more sceptical about Group Lotus' moral right to use the Lotus name, after it has been taken over by Danny the Bear and co.
In addition to that 50% (single largest shareholder) is owned by the owner of Naza group.I doubt he would have agreed on Team AirAsia