Time for Hamilton to leave McLaren

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
rfs

Re: Time for Hamilton to leave McLaren

The only other team Hamilton might want to go to is Mercedes. But until Ross Brawn makes the team competitive again Lewis should keep his butt in that Mclaren.

ringo

I say for 2011 then start looking at redbull for 2012, if till 2012 he should sit put and see how Mclaren handle the new regulations.
If Mclaren is crap in 2013 then he can move to ferrari in 2014.
2012 is the best time for him to have a look around.

Today the team cuased him the lead on webber. They should have pitted when they had the 20+ second gap to Webber.
What's worse, they let lewis out into traffic.

Anyway i still think he can win the championship, 2008 was in the last turn of the last lap of the last race; maybe he wins championships in high stakes fashion.
For Sure!!

aral

MuseF1 wrote:
internetf1fan wrote:
Ron isn't there in McLaren anymore. Whitmarsh doesn't treat Hamilton like a person. He treats him like a machine. Hamilton is a lot like Alonso, he needs emotional support from the team. At the moment he's not really getting that.
Whitmarsh has supported Hamilton, just look at the last two races, Whitmarsh hasnt been on his back.
Now, telling your driver to move over for the other, thats not treating the driver like a person.
And yet they decided to put Hamilton into a situation where he had to take a risk on track to close the point gap...
So you obviously believe that Button is not treated like a person, nor even Heiki , last year?

They didnt put him there, thats just how it was. the McLarens werent fast enough today, they dropped off the pace, hence why they had to pit. if the tyres held up for another 5 laps or so, hamilton would be ahead of Webber after the stop

internetf1fan

Erm so are you saying if McLaren pitted Hamilton while Webber was stuck behind the backmarkers then Hamilton wouldn't have come in front of Webber?

MuseF1

It doesnt matter what Webbers doing, the point is you need just a touch under 30sec to pit and come out ahead. The gap was never at that stage between Hamilton/Button and Webber. No matter where Hamilton pitted, he would still be behind Webber.

raymondu999

Around 28 secs I believe. In that sense, perhaps maybe McLaren's only real chance was to pit under the SC?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Carmack

If I saw correctly, Hamilton's pit stop lasted a few tenths over 30 seconds, and the lead was never over 25 seconds, so if you do the math there is no way he would stay in front. And there is also a tight and slow entry and exit of the pits...

MuseF1

raymondu999 wrote:Around 28 secs I believe. In that sense, perhaps maybe McLaren's only real chance was to pit under the SC?
Under the first one? Looking at Buttons pace towards the end of the race, with fresher tyres he could only just match Webber. I can't really see any opportunity to do anything different, other than not having a collision.
P3/P4 was best that could be got today with the car.
SHould this be in the Singapore GP thread? a little off-topic?

ringo

Ok i was not using live timing, i was just listening to the bbc commentators.
Regardless, it's best to pit as soon as the tyre performance starts to go off.
The gap dropped from 28 to what 20?
I wont even look on Button's pace to judge what was possible, Button's race pace is not the same as Hamilton's; it never was but some people like to believe it is.
Take for instance when Button was trailing Webber, he simply had no answer to Webber.
The same thing he did in Monza, no answer for Alonso.

Hamilton just needs to see the car up the road and you know an attack is on the cards.

I think Mclaren's only problem is the car. If you have drivers like Sutil, Hamilton, Kobayashi, you simply need to give them a car that can contain their ambitiousness.
If you give then a slow car, they simply will not accept that it can't go faster or that they have to settle for scraps.
They will push the car all the way, this is a double edged sword. On the other hand you have drivers who settle for what the car can give them.

Mclaren need to give Hamilton a car at least as fast as the ferrari for the last races.
Add some metal parts in the suspension to prevent suspension failures too.
For Sure!!

paipa

Carmack wrote:If I saw correctly, Hamilton's pit stop lasted a few tenths over 30 seconds, and the lead was never over 25 seconds, so if you do the math there is no way he would stay in front. And there is also a tight and slow entry and exit of the pits...
In those 30 seconds though, he progressed from the beginning of the main straight to the end of it, so that number doesn't mean a lot on it's own. We're better off comparing pit lap times against regular laps.

However, I don't think his lead would've been enough at any point to rejoin in front of Webber, either.

ernos5

n smikle wrote:
andrew wrote:Hamilton is a McLaren product. He ain't/can't go anywhere else.

I honestly can't remeber hearing that any other team would like him in the future. The likes of Alonso, Vettel and Kubica have all openly been on teams wish-lists but I can not recall any team principle saying they want Hamilton.
Frank Williams, Mercedes and I know Ferrari!!! would LOOOOOVE to have him as soon as Alonso is gone.
No Ferrari would definately not want him. Especially now with all the spanish supporters that came from Renault with Alonso's move to Ferrari.

Ferrari have better options after Alonso.....Vettel and Kubica.

Btw Hamilton said he's going to stay with Mclaren his whole career.

jon-mullen

Not...exactly...
I honestly want to see out my career with McLaren. I do feel it's my family, it's where I am right now and it's where I'm happy.
However, he also said
I haven't had offers from other teams and I am not talking to anyone. But I would listen to an offer if someone asked. It would be a compliment, and it would be silly if I did not.
(Daily Mail, March '09)
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

segedunum

MuseF1 wrote:It doesnt matter what Webbers doing, the point is you need just a touch under 30sec to pit and come out ahead. The gap was never at that stage between Hamilton/Button and Webber. No matter where Hamilton pitted, he would still be behind Webber.
Martin Whitmarsh gave that excuse, but it's nonsense. If you are losing time hand over fist, lap after lap, and you believe you are still going to end up behind Webber anyway then you need to cut your losses. Staying out on tyres that are shot and are losing you time is a silly idea. Had the pitted earlier it would give Hamilton at least more time to pass Webber.

It makes you wonder what the guys in the back with their laptops are doing. :roll:

Paul

Difference between Webber's old and Hamilton's new set of tyres was the key if a passing manoeuvre was to happen. It was logical to increase the difference between the sets by keeping Hamilton on track longer why he wasn't really losing time on Webber. He also had significant problems with traffic, which cost him a couple of seconds, so the gap could have been smaller. In the end, these tactics worked perfectly because the safety car nullified the gap and allowed Hamilton to attack and pass Webber straight away. The rest is a different story.

BMW_F1

MuseF1 wrote:
internetf1fan wrote:I don't know how Hamilton feels but I personally believe he needs to go to a team that will treat him like Ferrari treats Alonso.

We all know Hamilton likes to take risks while racing, but McLaren seem to put him into positions where he has to take unnecessary risks all the time.

E.g. today when McLaren could have had a easy 3rd, 4th. But decided to pit late and somehow manage to let out of position Webber in front! And then they goad Hamilton into overtaking Webber!

Hamilton, change your team please! I am sick of McLaren treating you like a machine.
I doubt Hamilton would want to be treated like Alonso, I think Hamilton would like to win races on merit, equal machinery and opportunity. Hamilton also seems completely comfortable with the team and his team-mate, its a good combination. Look inside Red Bull and Ferrari and there has been tension there at some points this season, between drivers and team.

And today it was the right call from McLaren to pit Ham and Button, the tyres dropped off really quick, the gap between Ham-Web dropped from roughly 23sec, to 19sec, leaving them two out longer would only drop them further back, most cars in the top ten were faster than the mclarens at that point
Lewis has already been treated like ALonso when he had Kovalainen as teammate. The team knew that Kovi was no match to Lewis and as a result Lewis always ended up getting the best strategies, machinery, etc.etc..