Who should win the title this year? why or why not?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Terrible3

Re: Who should win the title this year? why or why not?

You do have a point on my example of a SAE car. However the same issues that faced that car also face SV.

On the SAE car we had a different design of headers from our previous cars. We had implemented the same push pull cable and shift mechanism from our previous two cars that worked flawlessly. Never the less the team failed to insulate the push pull cable since they had never done it before and the heat wrap on the pipes in the past proved to be sufficient. Even on the same car months earlier the cable uninsulated was ran without problem since it bend just slightly differently. For the four days the car ran without trouble and no issues were reported. The problem comes in that with four different people testing it over the different days, each driver would jump in and not have an idea on how the car was supposed to feel. Each of them simply jumped in and drove. None of them were aware of the head slowly melting the push pull cable leading to a small amount of friction to be added to the cable. Had the first driver got back in the car on the last day it would be very evident that there was more effort required to shift the car.

Anyways due to time constraints the car only received a partial tear-down, mainly to look at the drivetrain as it was the primary source for problems on the car. Never the less the small damage done to the push pull cable went un-noticed. Come event day yet another new driver jumped in. We had battery issues so we elected to run the car in the pits for an extended period of time to charge the battery after it was jumped. This idling with no moving air around the cable sped up the deterioration of the cable. Once the driver went out for his lap the increased friction cause the bolt that held the gear lever to brake. Once replaced it was discovered that clearly too much force was needed to shift the car and the problem was traced back to the cable.

Anyways it was not the drivers fault the cable failed, it was that of the people who prepped the car for the event. It was just a ticking time bomb before the failure occurred, and that ended up being at our event.

This carries over to SV header failure at Bahrain. I can guarantee that the header ended up on his car was defective and it inevitably failed in the race. It was just down to (his) bad luck the part ended up on his car. Yes the "bad luck" was created by the teams failure to spot the flaw in the part. At the end of the day SV does not control the parts on his car or how well they are installed. Thats why I call it back luck on SV in that he sometimes has part failures that are not a result of his driving.

If you want another example why not his front upright in Australia? I am not sure what incompetence cause it to fail, but it was not due to SV's driving. That same upright withstood MW smashing it into LH in Singapore. Sometimes your team or engine supplier deals you a bad card. We like to refer to this as bad luck.

ringo

title calculator:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/championship-calculator/

too easy for webber. second place to Vettel in brazil, and vettel moving over in abu dhabi. regardless of Alonso's position behind.

Easy for Alonso as well.
For Sure!!

zeph

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87916

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87915

Webber comes clean (albeit carefully formulated and respectful of the team). No two ways about it: RBR is supporting Vettel's bid and Webber is an also-ran.

But what I did not know:
When asked if he was surprised that Berger's comments came on the Red Bull-owned Servus TV station, Webber replied: "absolutely".
FFS, Berger chastised Webber on a RedBull-owned TV station???

Boo RedBull, shame on you!

Go Webber! Hope you bag it this year and leave that Red Bulls--t behind. Maybe McLaren is looking to prolong that #1 on the nose of their car... :lol:
Last edited by zeph on 04 Nov 2010, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

+1 Zeph

I like Berger, but he is bang out of order fueling this crap. He was known for his jokes, I just hope he doesnt take Lauda's tag of being Austrian F1's opinionated toss pot.
More could have been done.
David Purley

segedunum

I know I'm on record as not rating him when it comes to the crunch, but I hope Webber wins it and then sticks two fingers up and leaves. While the team is right not to rule out Vettel, how uncomfortable they are about Webber being in prime position is now really showing and those comments by Berger on a Red Bull TV channel leave a bitter taste in the mouth. They smell more Machiavellian as time passes. Red Bull should just get one of their drivers over the winning line and worry about their wunderkind later, who isn't as wunderful as they think.

As for Alonso, sorry, but as a viewer I don't like to see drivers being handed races when there is no need and the championship is still wide open - rules or no rules. Those "Actually, it would be OK if Massa won" comments coming from him now are seriously irritating and insulting and seem as stupid as seeing Schumacher push Barrichello on to the top step of the podium.

I'd be pleasantly suprised if Hamilton can stay in the title race, but I just can't see McLaren having the outright speed.

So, Webber or Hamilton basically.

ringo

Redbull are fools!!!! :o

Vettel needs to put 16 points at least into Alonso! Like that's going to happen. :lol:

Giving brazil to Webber would have been the better move.
Vettel was to win only if Alonso was fourth.
For Sure!!

marcush.

ringo wrote:Redbull are fools!!!! :o

Vettel needs to put 16 points at least into Alonso! Like that's going to happen. :lol:

Giving brazil to Webber would have been the better move.
Vettel was to win only if Alonso was fourth.
austrian maths could be quite different.they have shown again and again that their decision process is based on assumptions that rarely materialise.F1 is not as simple as that and maybe we just do not understand .
some years ago in Ferrari some Mr.Irvine was not meant to be the one to win the long awaited title when MS broke his leg and the team did everything to make it happen (irvine not clinching the title)for whatever reason...Webber maybe is just too unpassionate about this title,not wanting it at all cost?

zeph

Haha, I love this guy. :lol: He is so cool he makes Raikkonen look like a nervous twit:

Q: (Ottavio Daviddi - Tuttosport) Fernando, the two guys beside you seem pretty confident of their chances for the title; and you?
FA: Hundred percent. I just need to finish second. It doesn’t matter who wins in Abu Dhabi if I finish second. So the main goal for us is to be on pole on Saturday and to win the race on Sunday. If we cannot do that, because we are not quick enough, we try to be second. With that, the problem is finished.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 11491.html

djos

Seriously short sighted of RB to let Vettel do his own thing, Nando is highly likely to finish 3rd (or 4th) again in abu dahbi and if Vettel wins the race it will be Nando's 3rd WDC!
"In downforce we trust"

jamsbong

Looking at the standings now, it is clear that Alonso has a good chance to win. All he has to do is finish 5th or better and this is quite achievable.

This brings me to 3 points.
firstly, Why Red Bull did what they did i.e. no team orders? This is repeat of what happened to Mclaren vs Ferrari in 2007. Why is Red Bull so generous in giving the Driver championship away?

Secondly, Alonso has only gotten so close to the top because of team orders. Yes, team orders has always been there like in Brawn GP when Barachello was forced to pit more times than Button, or Massa allowing Kimi to pass, or many times during the Schumacher era. However, I feel that Alonso did not really earned it as much as the 2 Red Bull drivers. Won't it be great if the rules says "if there are evidence of team orders both drivers and team points are removed for that race". That will removed "team orders" topic from the strategy discussion.

Finally, like last year, we see the most consistent driver benefited. I personally prefer to have the fastest driver handed the championship. That has always been the case in the old days where heroes are triumphant, rather than mister consistent (i.e. the turtle).

CHT
CHT

I trully applaud RBR decision to let Vettel win this one. I think they have just set the new benchmark for being the most exciting and sporting team on F1.

a good marketing effort by Red Bull energy drink indeed.

zeph

jamsbong wrote:Why is Red Bull so generous in giving the Driver championship away?
I am not so sure. At the start of the year Bernie Ecclestone said Vettel will be WDC this season.

Although I'm rooting for Webber and Alonso, if BE says it's Vettel, I'm not going to bet against him.

Richard

Well, RB really are taking this down to the wire. There will be egg on their face if they don't clinch the WDC. Also, what if Alonso is only able to win the WDC because of the team orders in Germany?

Could be a repeat of McLaren 07.

delacf

Have given the drivers' championship :o . A gift. Unbeliable.

Regards, delacf

FW17

I don't understand why Alonso does not deserve to be champion?

He has done the best job in the second half of the season. Victory at Germany was gifted by his team mate, but Ferrari had to do something to put him back in contention after Valencia and Silverstone. Other than that one event this year Massa has not been able to play a part in helping Alonso.

People may hate him for 2007, but on the track Alonso has done the best possible job and if Red Bull does use team orders at the final stages of the race, it will be a lot more of a desperate championship victory than Alonso winning.