Massa: "2011 doesn't signify a crucial year for me"

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
tommylommykins

Massa: "2011 doesn't signify a crucial year for me"

This news item: http://www.f1technical.net/news/15801

It seems very strange to me. Can anyone shed any light on why this press release has come out with the content that it has.

What does Ferrari want to achieve with it?

Formula None

Re: Massa: "2011 doesn't signify a crucial year for me"

I take that as "I'm officially the new Barrichello." Someone has to help Alonso out. I hear Smedley's even taken up morse code to save the team some money.

donskar

The release serves multiple purposes (at least):
For fans, sponsors, team members -- all is well, no turmoil, no conflict between drivers
For other teams -- Massa is not available
For drivers and their agents -- no seats here, move along please
For Felipe -- a face-saving release; it even reminds us that he was as close to the WDC two years ago as Alonso was this year

Don't read anything deep into it. PR men get paid all year, so they have to do something for their salaries.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Tamburello

Formula None wrote:I take that as "I'm officially the new Barrichello." Someone has to help Alonso out. I hear Smedley's even taken up morse code to save the team some money.
How do you glean such a conclusion from the contents of that article?

Formula None

It's an article about the job security of the inferior driver on the team. Massa says he's secure, but I doubt it's because Ferrari are having visions of replicating his '08 season, not with Alonso in the other car.

AndySeiji

I believe is all up to his work next year, isn't it? Felipe's had strong team-mates before, Schumi one of them. His results this year were a combination of bad luck, poor adaptability on the tires and a huge lack of confidence (specially after Germany).

Anyways, I guess his statement is a kind of a way to relief the weight that lies on his shoulders though. Montezmolo and Domenicali had already stated that they expect a lot from Felipe next year.

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Just PR for sponsors, fans, etc. Sadly though 2011 could be significant considering who the other driver is and the large amounts of Spanish bank money they bring with them. I think Massa needs to find another team where he is allowed to race and finish ahead of his team mate.

est1984

If he really wanted to win things and be the number one driver, he should have moved to Renault. He's going to be used more like the teams bitch now. Sad to see.

Tamburello

andrew wrote:Just PR for sponsors, fans, etc. Sadly though 2011 could be significant considering who the other driver is and the large amounts of Spanish bank money they bring with them. I think Massa needs to find another team where he is allowed to race and finish ahead of his team mate.
He is allowed to race and finish ahead of his teammate at Ferrari too. It's just that he's been too slow in 2010 to do that on merit, so the team naturally very little confidence in him put in a string of victories or podiums together. He was allowed to race Schumacher, he was allowed to Kimi, why wouldn't he be allowed to race Alonso?

andrew

Tumbarello wrote:He is allowed to race and finish ahead of his teammate at Ferrari too.
You serious? So if Massa is allowed to finish ahead, explain what happened in Germany.

Tamburello

andrew wrote:
Tumbarello wrote:He is allowed to race and finish ahead of his teammate at Ferrari too.
You serious? So if Massa is allowed to finish ahead, explain what happened in Germany.
Germany: Massa lagging behind in the championship, he leads a race for the first time this year. Ferrari does not the have the fastest car on the grid and make a reasonable assumption that if any of their drivers are going to challenge RB and Macca for the title, it's going to be Alonso, as Massa has been comprehensively outpaced by the Spaniard all year, except for the very rare occasion, and the Brazilian isn't exactly pulling away at the front at Hockenheim. They switch the order and give Alonso an extra 7 pts. Without those 7 points, the strategic thinking amongst all his rivals might have been so different in the closing rounds.

Now Massa has signed a contract extension with Scuderia so we can safely assume that they are giving him every right to beat his teammate, if he can. And if not, he has no one else to blame but himself for staying at Ferrari and we shouldn't feel sorry for him. I don't believe Massa would extend his contract with the team if he knew they would not allow him to challenge Alonso.

andrew

Tumbarello wrote:Now Massa has signed a contract extension with Scuderia so we can safely assume that they are giving him every right to beat his teammate, if he can. And if not, he has no one else to blame but himself for staying at Ferrari and we shouldn't feel sorry for him. I don't believe Massa would extend his contract with the team if he knew they would not allow him to challenge Alonso.
:lol:

Unless you have a copy of Massa's contract I assume you are guessing from a purely Alonso and Ferrri fan stance.

Gerhard Berger

I'm not sure why you're laughing Andrew. Tumbarello makes a very a valid point. After the Singapore GP, Massa made it clear that he was not prepared to by Alonso's number 2 in the long term. Therefore Tumbarello is right when he says that he doesn't believe Massa would extend his contract with the team if he knew they would not allow him to challenge Alonso.

Tamburello

andrew wrote:
Tumbarello wrote:Now Massa has signed a contract extension with Scuderia so we can safely assume that they are giving him every right to beat his teammate, if he can. And if not, he has no one else to blame but himself for staying at Ferrari and we shouldn't feel sorry for him. I don't believe Massa would extend his contract with the team if he knew they would not allow him to challenge Alonso.
:lol:

Unless you have a copy of Massa's contract I assume you are guessing from a purely Alonso and Ferrri fan stance.
Nope, I actually wanted Red Bull to beat everyone to a pulp this year, but that's beside the point.

I actually like Massa and want him to do well but if he has signed a contract in which it is stipulated that he's to play second fiddle to Alonso, then there's no point feeling sorry for him. I seriously doubt he would do such a thing though and all the noises from that quarter is supporting my doubts.

Giblet

When you tend to qualify and race 3/10ths slower per lap, there is not much need for a contract stipulating your place in the team.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute