Massa: "2011 doesn't signify a crucial year for me"

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Tamburello
Tamburello

Re: Massa: "2011 doesn't signify a crucial year for me"

Giblet wrote:When you tend to qualify and race 3/10ths slower per lap, there is not much need for a contract stipulating your place in the team.
Naturally but what some people want to suggest is that there is a rule, written or not, within Ferrari which stipulates that Massa mustn't finish ahead of Alonso, all based on what happened in the German GP.

Now I personally don't approve of Ferrari's actions as I feel a win could have been a catalyst for Massa to regain his confidence and perhaps become a regular challenger in the rest of the season. He is, after all, a multiple race winner. Having said that, I can understand the lack of confidence shown in Massa and the strategic thinking of Ferrari behind the order.

OTOH as it turned out even without those seven extra points, Alonso would have gone into the last GP in the lead so perhaps Ferrari shot themselves in the foot by denting Massa's already fragile confidence futher and thereby didn't have an able and altogether willing wingman for Alonso at season's end.

scotty86

A predictable response from Massa's PR camp after this season, but really, events throughout 2010 paint a very different picture. He basically got destroyed by Alonso, even before Germany - as much as some might hate to acknowledge that fact. He has to show better form next season before his contract expires, as there are many talented drivers (Kubica is the obvious candidate) who could conceivably take his drive. Excuses such as 'lack of confidence' are simply that - excuses, that show a mentally flawed driver unable to cope with an incredibly strong team mate. Massa seems like a good guy and i hope it doesn't come to that, but i honestly think it will.
Last edited by scotty86 on 06 Dec 2010, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.

Mandrake
Mandrake

I think that Massa will still be offered a seat at Ferrari even if he gets outpaced by Alonso again next year. What could be seen this year was that the teams having 2 very competitive drivers struggled to get all the points home. RedBull almost lost WDC, McLaren with Hamilton probably lost WDC due to both drivers "taking away" points from the other.

Ferrari have a top driver with Alonso who can fight for the championship even in a slightly inferior car, so all Massa has to do from the Ferrari POV is to deliver points for the WCC. If Massa can challenge Alonso then it's good for him and I doubt that the team will stop him early in the season (later they will of course, like they did this year), but if he's too slow for Alonso all he has to do is bring home points for the team and the team will be happy.

GTO

Massa's kidding himself if he doesn't think 2011 is a crucial yr. for him. :o :shock: I was shocked & surprised to read of this comment from him. Perhaps he's trying to downplay the pressure, but if anything, I think he should have come out saying the opposite & putting pressure on himself, race team/2011 car design team to perform better.
In 2010
* he was barely able to place 5th in WDC, ahead of Rosberg
* he was not able to deliver enough points for Ferrai to attain 2nd in WCC
I'm not saying he was completely at fault for the above. Ferrari car performance & team strategy was poor on many occasions this yr. He also allowed Alonso to dominate over him. I remember one race where Massa allowed Alonso to squeeze in front of him as they were both coming into the pits together. He seemed to be way too nice/passive to Alonso. He needs to fight back in 2011...finish ahead of Alonso in races to lead in points battle & maintain lead into 2nd half of season if he does not want to be asked by his race eng. to slow down because his engine temp. is suddenly getting too high. :-$

vall
vall

Giblet wrote:When you tend to qualify and race 3/10ths slower per lap, there is not much need for a contract stipulating your place in the team.
+1

especially, considering that Alonso just came into the team and has beaten Massa.