Ferrari golden era is over

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
WhiteBlue

Ferrari golden era is over

This is supposed to be the last car that Ferrari will design with vastly superior resources. They will be reducing staff as we are speaking to meet the RRA figures. Nevertheless going by past performance their car will not be the fastest out of the box. I think (and hope) their best days are over for some years to come.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

timbo

Re: Ferrari Project 662

Yeah, finally annual WB's "Ferrari golden era is over post" :D .
Happy new year WB!

ell66

WhiteBlue wrote:This is supposed to be the last car that Ferrari will design with vastly superior resources. They will be reducing staff as we are speaking to meet the RRA figures. Nevertheless going by past performance their car will not be the fastest out of the box. I think (and hope) their best days are over for some years to come.
going by past performance? its only the last 2 years they havnt.
and lol at there best days being over, in the last 10 years theyve either won the chmapionship or taken it to the last race 8 times!

Goran2812

WhiteBlue wrote:This is supposed to be the last car that Ferrari will design with vastly superior resources. They will be reducing staff as we are speaking to meet the RRA figures. Nevertheless going by past performance their car will not be the fastest out of the box. I think (and hope) their best days are over for some years to come.
dream on WB...
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

donskar

Is it the color red that you hate? Allergic to pasta? Parents threw meatballs at you when you were a child?

Jingoism is not limited to the British.

Happy New Year anyway.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

WhiteBlue

donskar wrote:Is it the color red that you hate? Allergic to pasta? Parents threw meatballs at you when you were a child?
:lol: No it is much simpler. I think that Ferrari are not really as capable as their results of the last decade suggest. They have been quite clever to influence F1 politics by some Machiavellian decisions (like the 2005 signing of the Concord). Bernie always supported them because he thinks they are special.

But the present PTB are operating for the good of F1 and not for the good of Bernie and Ferrari. It is nice for a difference and I think that other teams will use the fair rules better to design superior cars. I would be happy to see Red Bull, Mercedes or a new team win a championship rather than Ferrari and McLaren who have monopolized the top for ages.

Red Bull will be strong for two more years, I hope and then it will depend of the ability to get the 2013 car and drive train right. It could be Williams, Red Bull, Renault, Mercedes, McLaren or Ferrari. But my money is not on Ferrari, not by a long shot. It would also surprise me if Alonso rear guarded by a lackey of his choice could single handedly lift Ferrari to more constructor championships.

In my view Red Bull will continue to destroy Ferrari in the brand recognition stakes by their better approach to racing. Same will be true for McLaren, although McLaren will probably bring that not across as well as Red Bull does. They simply lack a strong product with some market penetration to make their brand shine, but the MP4-12C may have the potential to set them on the right path.

So bottom line I simply think that Ferrari will be beaten in the game by more capable opponents. The other teams are not handicapped any more by shady back room political deals and they should use the opportunity well. Particularly Red Bull in my view have the money, the resources, the leadership, the marketing savvy and the drivers to beat Ferrari.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Giblet

Mid season test of the EBD at Fiorano was the turning point for Ferrari.

Oh wait sorry, that was for a promotional film, I forgot. :roll:

Mclaren needed more time to get their EBD working right, as they had to do it at the race track, like, you know, everyone else.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Richied76

Giblet wrote:Mid season test of the EBD at Fiorano was the turning point for Ferrari.

Mclaren needed more time to get their EBD working right, as they had to do it at the race track, like, you know, everyone else.
i second that! And i also agree with what your saying whiteblue. All the wranglings that ferrari have put f1 through or been involved in, in the last decade (dominating, spygate, team orders, back handing) I seriously dont think people are to worried if they were to stop F1 like they have threatened in 2013. I would hate to loose williams, virgin, force india ect...yes they maybe midgrid but thats where most of the racing happens. i used the redbutton through out the year and saw more overtakes than anywhere else. I do disagree with some of your redbull comments though. I can see them scaling back on there investments in F1. You have to be 16 or your refused custom on redbull in britain due to the health conserns of redbull drink. I can see energy drinks being the next tobacco. Also look at the way they handled the infighting and technical hounding they got. It did look like horner was under more pressure than the drivers most of the year. Anyway....back to ferrari. I can see them trying somthing drasticly different in 2011. Trying to exploit ever single unregulated area of the car. They were slow off the mark on both the EBD and F-duct and spend half the year playing cath up. They wont want to do that again.

donskar

Richied76 wrote:
Giblet wrote:Mid season test of the EBD at Fiorano was the turning point for Ferrari.

i second that! And i also agree with what your saying whiteblue. All the wranglings that ferrari have put f1 through or been involved in, in the last decade (dominating, spygate, team orders, back handing) I seriously dont think people are to worried if they were to stop F1 like they have threatened in 2013. I would hate to loose williams, virgin, force india ect...yes they maybe midgrid but thats where most of the racing happens. i used the redbutton through out the year and saw more overtakes than anywhere else. I do disagree with some of your redbull comments though. I can see them scaling back on there investments in F1. You have to be 16 or your refused custom on redbull in britain due to the health conserns of redbull drink. I can see energy drinks being the next tobacco. Also look at the way they handled the infighting and technical hounding they got. It did look like horner was under more pressure than the drivers most of the year. Anyway....back to ferrari. I can see them trying somthing drasticly different in 2011. Trying to exploit ever single unregulated area of the car. They were slow off the mark on both the EBD and F-duct and spend half the year playing cath up. They wont want to do that again.
Richied76, is it already New Years in your time zone (it's 17:05 here)? Your post suggests inebriation. Case in point:
All the wranglings that ferrari have put f1 through or been involved in, in the last decade (dominating, spygate . .
Wasn't it McLaren that was judged the guilty party in spygate? Just asking in the interest of simple sanity.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Richied76

Nope it was very much 2010 when i posted the last comment. As for mclaren, Yes it was, but was it not a ferrari employee that gave mclaren the info? Regardless, all of the top teams have made total idiots of themself in recent times, be it mclaren, renault, ferrari. Redbull will be next along with Mercedes. Redbull being banned to advertise its energy drink & Mech will do a BMW at the end of 2012. Anyway, its just i dont believe the world would be at a loss if ferrari pulled out of F1. lets face it they would go do GT or LeMans. When i think of mclaren...I think F1. RedBull....A drink. Ferrari...Road cars. Renault...a family hatchback ect ect.

Teams like Williams, Torro Rosso, Mclaren, Lotus (but which one :) ) You can only think of them as Formula one teams.

Back onto subject though... On closer inspection of the sketch on the last page, does anyone else see what maybe a intake below the sidepods? I look incredibly dark in that area. It may just be the drawing, but could a duck that passes through that area be legal? and if so i can only assume it would be for cooling batterys/capasitors OR (more intrestingly) To pass air to a region of the difuser to try add DF or to channel over the beam wing to try reduce drag?

I'm not for one second giving this picture any credit for being an accurate presentation for what Ferraris next F1 challenger may look like. The area in white below the sidepod entry would hold alot of boundary air and be quite draggy if you ask me

Byronrhys

Richied76 wrote:Nope it was very much 2010 when i posted the last comment. As for mclaren, Yes it was, but was it not a ferrari employee that gave mclaren the info? Regardless, all of the top teams have made total idiots of themself in recent times, be it mclaren, renault, ferrari. Redbull will be next along with Mercedes. Redbull being banned to advertise its energy drink & Mech will do a BMW at the end of 2012. Anyway, its just i dont believe the world would be at a loss if ferrari pulled out of F1. lets face it they would go do GT or LeMans. When i think of mclaren...I think F1. RedBull....A drink. Ferrari...Road cars. Renault...a family hatchback ect ect.

Teams like Williams, Torro Rosso, Mclaren, Lotus (but which one :) ) You can only think of them as Formula one teams.

Back onto subject though... On closer inspection of the sketch on the last page, does anyone else see what maybe a intake below the sidepods? I look incredibly dark in that area. It may just be the drawing, but could a duck that passes through that area be legal? and if so i can only assume it would be for cooling batterys/capasitors OR (more intrestingly) To pass air to a region of the difuser to try add DF or to channel over the beam wing to try reduce drag?

I'm not for one second giving this picture any credit for being an accurate presentation for what Ferraris next F1 challenger may look like. The area in white below the sidepod entry would hold alot of boundary air and be quite draggy if you ask me

I'm sure when most people on this planet think of formula 1 they think of Ferrari.

And Toro Rosso? Seriously!!!??? They have Red Bull plastered all over them and are exactly the same as the sister team really.

Richied76

[quote="Byronrhys

I'm sure when most people on this planet think of formula 1 they think of Ferrari.

And Toro Rosso? Seriously!!!??? They have Red Bull plastered all over them and are exactly the same as the sister team really.[/quote]

Yeah true, didnt think about the redbull conection :oops: And thats exactly my point why i dont think many people would miss them any more than BMW, Honda ect. When people on this planet think of formula 1 they DO think of Ferrari, so why do they bend, twist or break the rule when it doesnt go there way (team orders this year for instance) Why do they make ultimatums to pull out of F1 like last year, and in 2013 if the FIA goes ahead with the I4 turbo. They ridiculed the new teams for no reason other than they could at the start of the year. They should be the squeaky clean role model for F1.

But (please mods note i'm trying to stay on subject of the car) Next year has got to be a make or break year for Ferrari. Theres been a few years of the same regs with only minor tweeks. All the fancy f-duct DD stuffs out of the way now. Only genious ideas and a solid platform to develope from next year will bring them victory, and the same goes for every other team. There had been so many "clean ups" of the rules this year with wheel rims, diffuser holes flexing bodys/floors ect. I think if your not hot out the box, its going to be difficult to bold on performance to the cars as they year goes on. The KERS and mechanical differences are going to play a huge part this year....probably just as much as the new tires

timbo

Richied76 wrote:Next year has got to be a make or break year for Ferrari.
Given Ferrari's history I fail to see how a single year can be a make or break for them.

xpensive

donskar wrote: ...
Is it the color red that you hate? Allergic to pasta? Parents threw meatballs at you when you were a child?
Easy now Don, all it takes for this forum's self appointed oracle to make a U-turn is for Ferrari to hire a German driver,
pretty much like the fuel-flow limitation is all of a sudden a great idea after the WMSC has decided upon it. :lol:
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

raymondu999

more precisely the reigning world champ. Then of course we will sing songs about Schumi's second coming.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法