Where does the HRT money come from?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ESPImperium

Re: Where does the HRT money come from?

andrew wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:There is also the chance that VW is keeping HRT alive to have an entry in 2013.
I thought that VW had ruled out any F1 activity.
Would never say never. WhiteBlue may just be closer to the mark than we think here. If VW came into F1 it would be withe the Porsche branding that is clear. What is not clear is what team they would support. Williams and Porsche are close with the KERS Fybrid for GT2 and GT3, as well as Williams and Audi being close for the whole Formula 2 chassis as well. Hispania buying the Williams gearbox seems to be a little too 'ideal' here as well.

Its too easy for that assumption i must say.

I think Hispania are being kept alive by someone to make it to 2013, Im just not sure by whom.

donskar

Having personally engaged in merger/acquisition negotiations with Tata, I feel sorry for HRT. HRT will deliver 100% of promised performance, or Tata will deliver 0% of funds.

Lawyers, warm up your calculators!
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

747heavy

if VW would be the "white knight" in the background (I don´t think they are, but could be wrong), why would HRT leave FOTA?
Would VW not want to have influence on the future direction of F1?

I´m sure if VW would want to join, especially if they only want to join as a engine supplier, there is not really any need to keep a team like HRT afloat, not as long there is still a 13rd grid slot up for the taking and/or STR up for sale.

How about Mr.E?
A team leaving FOTA will surely make him smile, and could be what he needs, for the upcoming negotiatons.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

Tamburello

WhiteBlue wrote:
marcush. wrote:30-40m to design a car? I doubt Kolles would spend that sort of money ....as he dropped
Toyota not long ago. ... I´d think HRT spent less than Virgin on the 2010 campaign. ...
And how much was that?
Virgin had a $40m budget, apparently.

WhiteBlue

747heavy wrote:if VW would be the "white knight" in the background (I don´t think they are, but could be wrong), why would HRT leave FOTA?
€100,000 membership fee?
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Mercedes paying for Liuzzi?

First I heard of that. I think its very far from the truth too....
More could have been done.
David Purley

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Luizzi raced for Team Kolles Racing at the Macau GP in 2002. Don't know if this is significant or just a coincidence.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

What has Kolles got to do with Mercedes cash?
David Purley

WhiteBlue

Merc want Di Resta at FI. FI have no seat unless they drop Liuzzi into an HRT seat which will cost them money. So Merc will eventually by discount to FI pay for Liuzzi's seat at HRT. At least that is what people expect.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

JohnsonsEvilTwin

So they pay Force India the same as Schumacher per year for an unproven driver in Di resta?
Not a chance IMO, I just dont see it.

By default Liuzzi should go. Force India have no affinity in keeping Liuzzi and would rather go for Di Resta who is rated as up and coming, but unproven.
David Purley

Tamburello

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:So they pay Force India the same as Schumacher per year for an unproven driver in Di resta?
Not a chance IMO, I just dont see it.

By default Liuzzi should go. Force India have no affinity in keeping Liuzzi and would rather go for Di Resta who is rated as up and coming, but unproven.
That's easier said than done. Liuzzi has a contract and FI would be up for fairly substantial damages for breaking the contract if they let the Italian go.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Liuzzi was a retainer driver(replaced another towards the end of last season I think). And if a small team signed him up with a huge penalty clause it would be most silly.
I dont see Mallaya operating this way.
David Purley

WhiteBlue

It is well known that Liuzzi has a full contract for 2011 which is recorded with the contract recognition board in Geneva. If FI drop him against the contract they would not only have to pay his salary but damages plus legal fees on top. The only option to cut his salary and get away with lower cost would be giving him the HRT seat. It would probably cost less than being sued for breaking the recognized contract.

ringo

Makes more sense if Luizzi gets his way and stays at Force India, Di resta goes to HRT to get in some racing experience. Mercedes support di resta financially at HRT for a year until he returns to Force India in 2013 with races under his belt.
Di Resta could be the one taking the mercedes money to HRT and not Luizzi.
For Sure!!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

The bottom line here is Mercedes are paying the same amount of cash for Di Resta to drive an HRT or a FI, as they are Schumacher.
This makes no sense to me at all. Di Resta is promising but he is not the Messiah. And Mercedes will not be paying 5-7 million to get the guy a race seat when they could fill him into the Reserve/test driver role that is currently Jamie Birds(AFAIK).

The numbers being bandied about are exorbatant, especially when Mercedes GP are said to be operating within strict financial parameters set by Stuttgart.
David Purley