Where does the HRT money come from?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Re: Where does the HRT money come from?

I think Mercedes want Di Resta to get more of a learning curve from a drive at Force India, the reason for that is that, i think, is that they think that he can become a better driver scrapping for P10 than scrapping for P20 with his team mate.

I think if push comes to shove Di Resta will go to Hispania, but Liuzzi will be under so much pressure to perform that he better perform out of his comfort zone and out qualify and out race Sutil its unbeliveable, otherwise he will be gone before the halfway point.

Im not anti Liuzzi in stance, i think he is a damnd good driver, i just think that he has had his time in F1 now, he has had 3 full seasons with Toro Rosso and Force India and has only out performed his team mate once in 2006.

If Liuzzi makes it to 2011, it will be with Hispania for the full season of for the first half of 2011 with Force India as i feel that Mercedes will be dictating the terms to him.

If Liuzzi is in the Force India seat, Mercedes will i feel put Di Resta at Hispania, reading him for the switch later on, then i can see Nico Hulkenberg takeover that Hispania seat as Hulkenberg is on the radar od Mercedes now, as im sure they would want Hulkenberg and Di Resta at Force India for 2012 with Sutil taking the step up to Mercedes in 2012 is Schumacher decides to retire.

Hispania have alot of things that will come to them, simmilar to what Minardi had back in the late 90s and early 00s with the likes of Alonso, Webber and Davidson coming to race for them with money from Briatore for the seats of Alonso and Webber and money from Honda for the seat for Davidson.

Also with the sale of Toro Rosso on the horizon, there will be more space and room for them to try and court the money from Red Bull for their Red Bull Junior Team drivers, and with one Carlos Sainz Jr in that team, placing him in a Spanish team in a few years time could mean the money from Red Bull and Spain could flow into the team then.

There is too many vageities fwith Hispania for the future, im sure all will be resolved in the short, emdium and long term future.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

I see the mechanics of how it would work. But the numbers dont add up.

7million would bring Newey for a season(to put into perspective). 7m is far too much for Di resta. Im only basing my logic on the fact that the Stuttgart bean counters want every penny accounted for, even Schumachers 7m was a tough job to pass through. How would they sell this?
More could have been done.
David Purley

marcush.
marcush.

Bernie money was available to the new teams making it to the grid or did i get something wrong ?

sticky667
sticky667

marcush. wrote:Bernie money was available to the new teams making it to the grid or did i get something wrong ?
if i recall it was to the tune of $10m.

lots of interesting ideas floating around here. Merc has 3 drivers on the books, Di Resta, Hulk and Liuzzi. Vijay spoiled the party when he signed up Liuzzi to a test drive with a race drive for 2010/11. Will be interesting to see the outcome.

WhiteBlue

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=397347
Meanwhile, Turun Sanomat and the Swiss newspaper Blick both report that Vitantonio Liuzzi is also a contender, with EUR 2 million on the table due to Force India needing to buy out the 29-year-old's 2011 contract.
If this report is true HRT have significantly reduced the going rate or Liuzzi will be there for a relatively short time.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

For a drive at Hispania you are talking $350,000 a race, so $2m would get you 5 or 6 races.

Going on last years drivers, Car 20 (Chandhok/Yamamotto/Klien) was sold for $500,000 a race with Kliens 3 races being given for a reduced rate of $200,000 as they needed a better driver at those moments, but Singapore was paid for by Yamamotto weirdly. This seat would cost $8.9m for talking sakes.

Sennas seat cost him nothing, but was made up by sponsor money, whitch was arround $3.5m, even though he missed out Silverstone due to 'suspension'.

Thats a total of $12.4m. Lets deduce that Karthikain is paying the lower end of my estimate for his seat, whitch is $12m, and if they were to take Liuzzi on for the $2m thats been branded about by the above source, Hispania would still be in profit to last year. However Liuzzi i think may have found sponsor money from some where in Italy, but im thinking that Valsecchi would command more money from Italy as he is younger. Fauzy will bring money from Proton, whitch i would think could be arround $5m that would go down well.

So... Hispania have a choice;

$2m lower estimate for Liuzzi, experienced and race hardened - Age 29.
$5m estimate from Fauzy for a driver that has restricted experience, not raced for a year - Age 28.
$3.5m estimate figure from Valsecchi, tested for the team last year, GP2 asia series champion 09-10 and we know what the previous Asia Series champion did... - Age 23.

On ballance id take Liuzzi, but take Valsecchi on as Test & Reserve driver.

marcush.
marcush.

First you need to get all the funds available to make it all happen.
If they really cannot afford to build a car which is seriously challenging for 10th position in the constructors ,i see no reason why you need a proven driver.they simply have to survive and the half second they miss due to lesser drivers is not really making a difference.
They could easily sell the friday practise sessions to a third driver who has promise...
so as to pressurise the signed ones to perform and not lay all the blame towards the mediocre car...keep them honest.
realistically they would be very lucky to be in one league with Virgin ,who themselves will struggle to bridge the gap to toro rosso already...so as tailenders they should and will take the biggest bags of cash and rightly so.

according to Kolles the 11th place is worth 7.8mill €(10mill$)coming from TV rights(source .motorsport-total.com).
"Der Unterschied bei den TV-Einkünften ist eklatant. Platz zehn bekommt 36 Millionen Dollar (umgerechnet rund 28 Millionen Euro), während Rang elf nur zehn Millionen Dollar (umgerechnet rund 7,8 Millionen Euro) erhält. Warum sollte dann die Mitgliedsgebühr für jeden gleich sein?"

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Just found out that Hispania got given $10m in TV money for last year under the new entries rule. This year it will drop to $7.8m. I am already quickly developing a budget for Hispania and where the expenditure will roughly go. One of the biggest sponsorship drops is from Tyres, Bridgestone paid all teams a minimum of $10m, Pirelli will pay all teams $4.5m this season and the same for next year as 2013 will likley see tyre rules opend up again to multi-manufacturer battles.

WhiteBlue

ESPImperium wrote:Just found out that Hispania got given $10m in TV money for last year under the new entries rule. This year it will drop to $7.8m. I am already quickly developing a budget for Hispania and where the expenditure will roughly go. One of the biggest sponsorship drops is from Tyres, Bridgestone paid all teams a minimum of $10m, Pirelli will pay all teams $4.5m this season and the same for next year as 2013 will likley see tyre rules opend up again to multi-manufacturer battles.
I'm afraid you got several things wrong. The teams are paying for Pirelli rubber and not the other way round. There were many reports on this issue in summer when Pirelli was finally selected over Michelin. http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/Pire ... plier.html The report also says that Pirelli is sole tyre supplier including the year 2013.

The return of competitive tyre supply is also incorrect. That was the main issue why F1 could not close a deal with Michelin. Michelin refused to supply without a principal commitment of F1 for a tyre war. The president of the FOTA, Martin Whitmarsh at that time commented that nobody wanted a tyre war, the same was repeated by Adam Parr. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83659
Adam Parr wrote:Nobody in F1 wants that (a tyre war). We would all recognise that that tyre supplier is more than capable of conducting a tyre war, but there is no appetite or potential for a tyre war now. It is not just about money, it is about the show. When we have a tyre war the pressure to increase testing will go up. You can also get it hugely wrong in a tyre war. If someone is given a two second per lap tyre advantage you would never see them. That would kill the sport.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

I stand corrected. I was under the illusion that Pirelli were paying, but im more than happy to stand corrected here.

Im just trying to look at the ballance sheet for now, in a virtual form. Currently im at an income of $38.8m whitch is roughly about righ since they were on a budget of arround $35.4 in 2010. Expenditure could be as high as $43.1m, whitch leads to an easy $4.3m loss.

Im just wondering, like you WhiteBlue, where the money to plug the gap is coming from.

sticky667
sticky667

Is Kolles a partner in the team or only the team principal?

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

How much is Tony Teixeira likely to input? Was he only in with HRT for last year or is it an ongoing partnership?

marcush.
marcush.

headcount of HRT anyone?

As I understand HRT was operating from Greding near Ingolstadt in Germany...and a lot of DTM /LMP staff got double use...

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

From my understanding Hispania only had arround 135 people all year working on the car. The majority of whitch came from Kolles Audi and people on 'service hire' from Toyota Motorsport GmBH in Cologne.

Each car had its race engineer and data engineer as standard, the team had a head engineer as well, whitch is 5 people so far. Xtrac embedded engineers in the team, rumored to be 11 early season but toward the end it was closer to 7, they had 1 global engineer with 3 to 5 others responsable for the mechanichal side on each car. Cosworth would have had arround the same for the engine for each car.

Hispania took on average 38 people to each race with Bahrain seeing them take more than 60 just to get the job done to complete the cars.

Senior staff they have:

Chairman and chief executive: Jose Ramon Carabante
Team principal: Colin Kolles
Technical co-ordinator: Jacky Eeckelaert
Designer: Geoff Willis

Id recon that Hispania have arround 50 or 60 core people employed by them directly at Kolles factory Germany and wherever Willis is in the UK, however More people in Germany the the UK. As for the rest, they will be drafted in on tempoary contracts for when they need them most from outside consultancys or from F1 staff that are jobless and need a job for a shortwhile.

As for the Tony Teixeira thing, that didnt go ahead as Tony Teixeira was rumored to be trying to take over Campos, and Mr E and Mr Todt didnt want Teixeira anywhere F1 with the ammount of money he owed from the fall of A1GP.

marcush.
marcush.

key staff are as follows:
Formula 1 operation:

Geoff Willis, Technical Director

Boris Bermes, Chief of Operations

Toni Cuquerella, Chief of Racing and Testing

Richard Connell, Race Engineer (Karun Chandhok)

Angel Baena, Data Engineer (Karun Chandhok)

Daniele Ferri, System Engineer (Karun Chandhok)

Xevi Pujolar, Race Engineer (Bruno Senna)

Xavier Marcos, Data Engineer (Bruno Senna)

Olaf Bulgrin, System Engineer (Bruno Senna)

Markus Hug, Control Engineer

http://www.hispaniaf1team.com/en/team/operational-staff

DTM:
Boris Bermes Operations Director
Gerard Lizakovszky Chief Engineer
Mario Gargiulo Engineer Johannes Seidlitz
Gerard Lizakovszky Engineer Christian Bakkerud
Jacky Eeckelaert Engineer Tomas Kostka

LMS

Boris Bermes Operations Director

Jacky Eeckelaert Technical Director

Marko van Dommele Race Team Coordinator

Heike Feldkamp Team Management Coordinator

(these are taken from Kolles team site)

As we can see on the engineering side there is no significant overlap .

there was rumour about the Holzer Group(Bobingen near Augsburg) being involved
in recruiting people for Kolles ,maybe also technical assistance?