Pirelli Start First Rain Test @ Abu Dhabi Under Lights

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
raymondu999

Re: Pirelli Start First Rain Test @ Abu Dhabi Under Lights

Mystery Steve wrote:Cooler track temps maybe? So the water would evaporate slower than it would in the midday heat.
And the spray looks awesome in floodlit lighting :mrgreen:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mx_tifoso

Re: Pirelli Tests Nov 2010

raymondu999 wrote:I suppose if the thread title was changed to Pirelli testing (mods?) it would be just fine to post here. I guess Formula1.com would post it. They even posted Wroom photos etc
Separate threads for separate events is best IMO.

Here is some dry running.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CgYwjaekSI[/youtube]
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

raymondu999

feynman wrote:They're testing in the desert, as it's still winter.
All that sunshine is good till you want to test wets, so wait till it's on the other side, soak the track and switch on the lights.
if they're going to wait until it's cold at night anyways, what's the problem with testing in the winter though? :?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

feynman

They didn't just fly out to the desert to do a wet weather test, at night, under lights - they are still testing the drys during the day.

They are testing tyres that will be run in most country's summer. So they need access to some heat. Run the drys in the daytime, soak the track and run the wets at night.

Do it all on a circuit that they have data for, and one that can reasonably be relied upon not to be covered in frost early January when you are planning your test-schedule.

gridwalker

Ripped from the TF-109 rollout thread :
Just the kind of images I was looking for :)
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Richard

raymondu999 wrote:if they're going to wait until it's cold at night anyways, what's the problem with testing in the winter though? :?
MclarenFan1991 wrote:so um why are they doing this night test? is just to test visibility, i dont see what the tyres have to do with it :? :D

Have you read the article ?? :arrow: :arrow:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88959

JohnsonsEvilTwin

I think Pirelli have already shown us late last year they have a tyre ready for this season.
They have intimated they want to make sure there are 2 stops every race, which I think adds value.

The problem Pirelli have is judging Wet Tyres, intermediates, and Canada.
Intermediates that last in variable conditions will be high on the agenda, as will "monsoons" that provide decent levels of grip in soaking conditions.
Finally, at a track like Canada, a tyre that lasts on the abbrasive track is certainly somthing that will keep their engineers busy.
More could have been done.
David Purley

mx_tifoso

I'm surprised that Toyota haven't placed visible logos for any of the Pirelli tests. It wouldn't hurt to work out a deal with one on either side of the engine cover.

But it seems that Pirelli are pretty ready for the racing season. It's roughly two weeks until the testing begins so we'll see how the teams get along on their own and what problems, if any, arise.

astracrazy wrote:why go thru that trouble with that truck when i thought portimao has sprinklers (or something along them lines) to do that?
As far as I know Portimao doesn't have a full on lighting system.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

raymondu999

I wonder if they left the diffuser open. The difference in downforce would affect tyre warmup and durability
失败者找理由,成功者找方法