Pirelli will use different colours on 2011 tyres

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Do you like this Pirelli's colorful method?

Yes
95%
No
5%

Total votes: 56

Holm86

Re: Pirelli will use different colours on 2011 tyres

white and silver is pretty stupid. you cant tell them apart when the car is moving.

agip

Holm86 wrote:white and silver is pretty stupid. you cant tell them apart when the car is moving.
Pirelli have indicated they intend to bring tyres a stage apart so it shouldn’t be a problem.

GTO

agip wrote:
Holm86 wrote:white and silver is pretty stupid. you cant tell them apart when the car is moving.
Pirelli have indicated they intend to bring tyres a stage apart so it shouldn’t be a problem.
It still quite bonehead choices for similar dry tires! :wtf: Why not use pink instead of silver? 8) How's is the avg. fan going to know what dry compound (medium or hard) they are using that weekend? It would have been smarter to move one of these similar colors as the wet . I would've made the wet - silver, & hard - orange. For obvious reasons, it's quite easy to differentiate between wet weather & dry tires. I suppose they didn't want to use green because they didn't want any similarity to the green used by Michelin last yr.

Morteza

Super-soft tire :

Soft tire :

Medium tire :

Hard tire :

Intermediate tire :

Wet tire :
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

flattyre

I think that we're all making out the silver/white tyre problem to be more of an issue than it really is.

For a start, as said before, it's planned that the silver tyres will never be used with the white tyres in the same race. So that means that - ignoring the intermediate and wet tyres - the only colours visible at a race will be silver and yellow, or white and red.

It can be assumed that the coloured tyre is the softer compound, and that the 'white' tyre is the harder compound (as silver looks similar to white). However, silver is slightly darker than white, so it will be easier to tell apart from yellow, whilst still looking 'white'.

Florio

If not for the silver/white problem. How am I supposed to tell the difference from an onboard perspective?

flattyre

You can see the logos and the colour very clearly from an onboard shot. It should be no more difficult to see than the trackside shots.

FrukostScones

I assume this is how Pirelli will combine the tyres/bring them to the races.
Silver-red hard- supersoft
Silver-yellow hard-soft
White-red medium -supersoft
Question: Is white/silver hard or medium if I can't spot the difference, I have no comment or other Info, just the tv screen and the colourchart for the tyres?
My solution (I would know what they are running without having read or heard anything just by knowing how the tyres are marked, no need for distinguishing silver and white):
Hard-yellow
Silver-soft
White- Medium
Red-Supersoft

yellow-red
yellow-silver
white-red
Sorry about my English, I m German, maybe I missed something, and I m pretty tired tonight.

n_anirudh

Was unable to find the other thread discussing Pirelii's strategy for 2011

How was the GP2 race in Istanbul. Were the tire degradation levels same as F1?? Having assumed that the GP2 races were held prior to the F1 race, why did we not see marbles off the racing line?? Since GP2 cars have a much lower downforce, would this be a contributory factor?