2011 Testing - Barcelona 18th - 21st Feb

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Testing - Barcelona - Circuit de Catalunya - 18th - 21st

It's just testing!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

scotty86

snowy wrote:Schumacher and Rosberg's simulations do bear this out. Especially when you consider that Schumacher did his race simulation on the first day of the Barcelona test. Nico's simulation was briefly interrupted by a red flag caused by another driver.
Just to clarify, are those sets of times taken from one single race simulation?

Byronrhys

n smikle wrote:It's just testing!
Yet you go around shouting Toro Rosso is third from this testing.

snowy

scotty86 wrote:Just to clarify, are those sets of times taken from one single race simulation?
Barcelona day one Schumacher ran his simulation and completed 60 or 61 laps before a red flag incident stopped him from completing the last 5 or 6 laps.

The next day Rosberg started his simulation and was briefly interrupted just before his first scheduled pitstop. He then went on to complete a his simulation.

Both these simulations were planned and conducted with engineers on the pit wall and pitcrews conducting racing pitstops.

Sebastian Vettel, Mark Webber, Felipe Massa and Nick Heidfeld also ran race simulations. Vettel's and Heidfeld's were interrupted by rad flag incidents for other drivers with Nick aborting the last 10 or so laps.

All the laps turned (and recorded by live timing)at Barcelona are available here:
http://www.cliptheapex.com/community/th ... 2011.2205/

And Valencia and Jerez are also available there at Clip The Apex on the relevant threads.

marcush.

what I do not really understand is :

on all the timing lists you can see the last lap of the stint being the same as the first lap of the next stint ...to me this seems a bit odd .If the pitstop was in that lap the lap time should be considerably higher +30 or something so any explanations there ? Especially considering this is not happening on all pitstops..

snowy

The live timing at practice sessions is run by the circuit and is rudimentary compared to the official FIA Live Timing. Time in the pits is not recorded and the site that taps into the circuits live timing picks up the car leaving the pits and lists the last time set and doesn't reset until a new lap time is recorded.

It's a quirk.

Follow the next test live @ http://www.msfree.gr/ms.php?id=10691
Or catch up with the full recorded times @ http://www.cliptheapex.com/community/fo ... rmula-one/

marcush.

ok but why isn´t it constantly doing things then? I´m a bit puzzled..

Nevertheless we could only value this all knowing what the teams are doing.Heidfeld mentioned having done at least one of his race stints with a set of "conditioned" tyres ,did anyone else do this as well?
Brawn mentioned they had neo issues with the medium compound in terms of durability whereas a lot of teams seem to have issues with that compound..
If only someone of us were in the pits and looked at the really important points...

imightbewrong

marcush. wrote:ok but why isn´t it constantly doing things then? I´m a bit puzzled..

Nevertheless we could only value this all knowing what the teams are doing.Heidfeld mentioned having done at least one of his race stints with a set of "conditioned" tyres ,did anyone else do this as well?
Brawn mentioned they had neo issues with the medium compound in terms of durability whereas a lot of teams seem to have issues with that compound..
If only someone of us were in the pits and looked at the really important points...
Last season I wrote a timing logger that ripped the time of the williams site every minute. It had the same quirk, basically it is just bad coding. They could easily add another if-statement and not output a time on outlaps, but I guess they can't be bothered.

csponton

TEST ANALYSIS

The new Formula 1 car in 2011 configuration have played 11 days of collective testing making a total of about 38631 km. The first to play the test with the new car were: Ferrari, Red Bull, Mercedes Grand Prix, Sauber, Williams, Renault, Toro Rosso and Lotus on the track that led Valencia to the new car. While McLaren, Force India and Virgin have debuted their 2011 car at Jerez. Among the new car is not the only one to be dropped on the track is the Hispania, which will debut the new F111 HRT only all''ultimo Barcelona test.

After three collective tests to be run on four you can start to build on these initial findings: the Ferrari car is by far the most reliable because it is the one who has played the most number of miles on the track accusing only small problems. Among the new cars that competed in the road is less than about 2000 km with Lotus as Trulli and Kovalainen have accused many technical problems.

Ferrari

The Ferrari has so far played well with the new F150th Italy 5220 km accusing only small problems such as a problem of loss of oil from the engine in Valencia (due to an error during assembly), a problem with the sensor and a throttle the failure of a pump.

Ferrari has decided to take the track from the beginning a very conservative car to try to cover as many miles and to better understand the operation of the new tires. Ferrari will take the part of the aerodynamic developments in the last test in Barcelona. Expect big news to the front, sides, the hood, discharges, and especially to the speaker in the fund. Ferrari technicians and engineers expect to benefit about six tenths a lap from these updates.

Red Bull

In Valencia, Jerez and the new Red Bull has gone well and has proved reliable also. This thing was very surprising given the considerable problems that have always had the cars designed by Adrian Newey. In recent tests in Barcelona Red Bull has accused some problems too. Sebastian Vettel on the first day he played only 37 laps because of gearbox problems which have forced many hours of mechanical work to try to resolve it. The rear of the car designed by Newey is very compact and make repairs in that area is a nightmare for the mechanics.

Vettel on the second day, during a race simulation, had to stop due to a crack in the exhaust. Mark Webber had to replace the engine instead of the last day of testing. The Red Bull is the second team who has played more kilometers between the teams in Formula 1. Christian Horner is very pleased with how they are doing the test: "We never had a season of testing with no problems."

Mercedes GP

The season started pre-season testing for the Mercedes Grand Prix with a lot of teething problems. But the Mercedes considering the results obtained in the last test session in Barcelona seems to have resolved. The problems of the new car was essentially the cooling of internal components that have resulted in some broken plumbing. He also accused some problems to the control of the rear wing. In Jerez, the engine has been replaced as found by the telemetry data indicated problems in the engine. In Barcelona, for the first time the Mercedes was able to fully execute its program. The results on the track on lap are quite encouraging, although they must still work to limit the degradation of Pirelli tires. In fact, in the race simulations Mercedes accused a nice gap over top Ferrari and Red Bull.

Sauber

The Sauber Mercedes had the same problems. In the first test has accused a number of problems at the exchange rate, the transmission and differential. These components are all supplied by Ferrari to Sauber. So you do not know well the reasons for these problems. During the tests, these problems are completely solved. The KERS has caused many problems for the Swiss team, indeed the last test in Barcelona was turned off and removed from the car. Sauber was able to make many more miles if Sergio Prez did not end in the gravel twice in the same day of testing in Barcelona ..

Williams

The Williams in the first three sessions of collective testing was faced with many guia KERS system which has cost so many miles the team of Groove. The main problm KERS to have been of little cooling to the components that compose it, and some loss of performance from the batteries. In Jerez, the last two days of testing, the KERS system was disconnected to allow the pilots to face more kilometers and can accumulate as much data as possible on the new machine parts and tires. Williams has also wasted valuable time because of some mistakes that have forced Pastor Maldonado to park the car in the gravel. KERS has been used in recent tests in Barcelona and from Barrichello by Maldonado although he continued to give some problems. In the last days of testing at Barcelona broke an engine Coworth he did lose a lot of time to the team.

Renault

Just got off the track at Valencia, Renault has accused several problems with KERS and hydraulic systems. These problems have been fixed by the mechanics but the car has done very little miles on the track. When working on KERS has received many compliments from pilots who have benefited. Heidfeld said it was much better than it used BMW in particular for ensuring stability under braking.

Toro Rosso

The Italian team did not experience serious problems during these early tests and was able to turn on the track quite regularly. KERS is that moving the rear wing have been running smoothly since day one. Sebastian Buemi has done so many compliments on his team stating that they are still a young team, they did a very good job in terms of reliability. The only time the car stopped on the track was just for the suspicion of a malfunction which then proved to be unfounded.

McLaren

The new McLaren made its track debut at Jerez skipping the first collective test in Valencia. Except for the last two days of testing at Barcelona McLaren has spent much time in the pits on the track. There have been many experiments with different exhaust solutions, funds and other speakers. All these experiments to the waste caused many difficulties to men McLaren. The second day of testing at Barcelona's Jenson Button missed the whole morning to test for a hydraulic failure. Due also to the lack of spare parts, the tests were interrupted for long periods of time. McLaren has done 2,573 km of which are less than half of kilometers covered by Ferrari.

Virgin

The debut of the new Virgin VR-02 was definitely better than last year. Virgin's new VR-02 has debuted the new car during testing in Jerez and is ranked ninth in the standings on particular routes kilometers. The new machine has had particular problems with the fuel pump, rear suspension and a lack of spare parts to replace mechanical parts that wore out on the track. On the track, the car feels much more stable than that of 2010. The wing poseteriore mobile, according to the drivers, it works very well, while the energy recovery system will not be mounted on the vehicle due to high costs that this presents.

Force India

Force India shot in this first test only 138 km less than the "friends" of the McLaren. In Jerez the new car has finished the test early because of a problem to the front suspension. This problem is accused by Paul di Resta was taking him off the track and it was good the driver to control the car. There were also several problems with the drains. The engineers were forced to stop the test due to lack of spare parts and held the car in the pits until they arrived from Britain. In Barcelona, the drivers also accused some of the accelerator pedal sensor failure. Rumours from Barcelona said that the box frame also accused of rigidity problems. Positive was the operation of the KERS provided by the Force India Mercedes.

Lotus

The designer of the Lotus Mike Gascoyne has changed the entire car. The T128 was designed more daring in terms of aerodynamic than its predecessor. The engines were changed and was chosen the Renault engine with the entire rear end provided by Red Bull. All these changes have brought many problems to the Lotus team in fact is what has driven less miles than any other. The main issues by the pilots have been accused of steering the car, the water leakage problems and frequent discharges. These problems should be solved in these days and the Lotus factory in the last group test in Barcelona should finally be reliable.
Last edited by Steven on 02 Mar 2011, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed linkbait

csponton

[...]
Last edited by Steven on 02 Mar 2011, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed as being a copy from James Allen's post, discussed 2 pages earlier

Giblet

csponton wrote: Ferrari technicians and engineers expect to benefit about six tenths a lap from these updates.
I was wondering where those went.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

ESPImperium

csponton wrote:TEST ANALYSIS
Lotus

The designer of the Lotus Mike Gascoyne has changed the entire car. The T128 was designed more daring in terms of aerodynamic than its predecessor. The engines were changed and was chosen the Renault engine with the entire rear end provided by Red Bull. All these changes have brought many problems to the Lotus team in fact is what has driven less miles than any other. The main issues by the pilots have been accused of steering the car, the water leakage problems and frequent discharges. These problems should be solved in these days and the Lotus factory in the last group test in Barcelona should finally be reliable.
I disagree with you on that statement. Hispania is the team as they missed the Jerez test for a test at Monza for Pirelli over two days. I know i have no data on how many laps they did, but by all intensive purposes Shakedown days and TV days are all omitable from my from my data charts. Hispanis were doing by all intensive purposes a TV day with some high speed testing for Pirelli. Nothing has emerged from those tests, no pics, no laps nothing so far.

Team Lotus have had the worst relyability so far, yes, but all problems are so far solved, the Water leaks are all down to a fundemental element needing redesigned to take it away from a vibration resonant peak that was shaking the connection free seemingly, a quick fix in all due respects to last years problems with the T127. As for the power steering, the problem with that was a quick fix as well, no specific details came out, but one website sugested it was down to power linkages in the power steering cuircit coming loose so it couldnt send the right ammount of hydrolic fluid to aid the driver. A fix that was done guickly at the factory with a quick redesign of that part.

So far id rather have a unrelyable car into the last test, as this teas the drivers should ideally be doing arround 100 plus laps a day, for all teams that have got their cars out there so far. Hispania should be plauged with problems, but thats not a dead cert as they dont have KERS and are essencially running a rear end that was proven as a good one last year with the CA2010 and Williams transmission so in reality they should try and push and put as many laps as posible on the F111 as posible, id say ideally 80-90 each day for them and their in what id say will be prime shape for them.

If i dont see the teams collectivly put on 20,000Km on to the testing distance collective figure by the end of the 4 days, ill be really disapointed. So far they are at 43,608.920km and if it isnt at least 63,000 ill be really worried.

PlatinumZealot

Byronrhys wrote:
Not only based on testing :-"

Trust me on this one, and say it with me: Torro. Rosso. Is. Third fastest.

Remember Noah's ark? Yes? - Then get on the boat and ask questions later.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Byronrhys

n smikle wrote:
Byronrhys wrote:
Not only based on testing :-"

Trust me on this one, and say it with me: Torro. Rosso. Is. Third fastest.

Remember Noah's ark? Yes? - Then get on the boat and ask questions later.
Don't reference the Bible, and I refuse to accept such mediocrity without truth, i'm not doubting its possible, but to leap Mclaren, Mercedes, Renault and Williams and half their budget... its hard to believe without solid evidence.

raymondu999

Yup. I'll see it when I believe it. Noah's Ark doesn't apply. I'm not going to be drowned to death if I don't say Toro Rosso is 3rd.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法