Bob Bell joins Mercedes

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: Bob Bell joins Mercedes

richard_leeds wrote:Lets see if number 2 driver crashes to allow number 1 to win a race ;)

"Michael, we'd like you to do a favour for young Nico" :lol:

"do you understand the message" :lol:
More could have been done.
David Purley

marcush.

Jet ..it´s rather obvious that there is some transfer and it is entirely possible that he left with the best idea without Renault knowing.
Ross Brawn already hinting at this weeks ago (something going on with exhausts)and Bell leaving Renault quite early last year...why did he leave after all?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

marcush. wrote:why did he leave after all?
Well it all come about a bit strangely, Renault were performing better than many exepcted and matched Mercedes for long periods of the season.
It was very unpublicised, almost like no one wanted to draw attention.

Haug also made a very telling comment when it happened...

"Bob did a good job and I've no idea what will happen," said Norbert Haug last October amid speculation Bell could be snapped up by Brackley based Mercedes.
Sourced from motorsport.com
David Purley

luca

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:He may even have had somthing to do with Mercedes upgrade due in a couple of weeks time. It goes some way to explain the rough draft W02, and the noise the team has been making about new exhaust concepts as well as modified sidepods.
Possibly a bit conspiracy theorist, but I dont see how anyone can stop the man from contibuting ideas over the phone or even via personal email.

I also dont think this is a sudden appointment, as he is on "gardening leave" until April.
If that is the case, it could also mean that they have wasted at least part of the advantage of starting developing the new car earlier during mid-2010.

donskar

He is a good addition. I don't think he'll have a short-term impact on design or staffing.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

godlameroso

I thought Bell left Renault because he was too "conservative" with his designs, whereas the current technical director at Renault, as well as the philosophy for this year was to push the envelope with regards to the regulations.
Saishū kōnā

Neno

godlameroso wrote:I thought Bell left Renault because he was too "conservative" with his designs, whereas the current technical director at Renault, as well as the philosophy for this year was to push the envelope with regards to the regulations.
that is true! :wink:

Tufty

Neno wrote:
godlameroso wrote:I thought Bell left Renault because he was too "conservative" with his designs, whereas the current technical director at Renault, as well as the philosophy for this year was to push the envelope with regards to the regulations.
that is true! :wink:
It's equally important to be able to integrate a lot of older design features into a well-rounded fast car as it is to be able to dream up untested innovations. This could be the making of MGP.

For what its worth, I don't think it will.
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars, thinking "where the hell is the ceiling?!"

Raptor22

Renault claimed Bell was replaced due he being too conservative. I never bought that story because his cars over the last couple of seasons have been quite well developed on a smaller budget than when they were a full works team. Lets not forget that his cars won the 2005 and 2006 WDC with Pat Symonds as his Technical director. the 2010 Renault was a pretty good car developed on a shoe string, something Mercedes are now used too :)

He is a good addition to the team and leaves Ros Brawn to get on with co-ordinating everything from Chassis to aero to engine, to race team operations. Bell will be responsible for the car.

raymondu999

Funny, actually. I never remembered brawn as a brilliant engineer. He was always (to me) the brilliant strategist.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Tamburello

Raptor22 wrote: He is a good addition to the team and leaves Ros Brawn to get on with co-ordinating everything from Chassis to aero to engine, to race team operations
So what aspect of the car is Bell then responsible for, putting on the stickers?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Here are few good reads on Bell to dispell any thoughts that he is a sticker boy.
As Mercedes have no real need of Sticker boys, I think these will put it into focus why he was hired.

http://www.grandprix.com/ft/ft17113.html

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2003/10/961.html

http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/cref-belbob.html

As far as sticker boys go, overqualified! :wink:
David Purley

Raptor22

Yes Bell is responsible for the stickers on the car, its a contractual obligation to the sponsors... :roll:
Bell is now responsible for overseeing and delivering all design, engineering and manufacturing activities related to the W02 and successive cars. That includes the stickers.
Well spotted, i would never have thought of the stickers