Is McLaren really off the pace?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Hangaku

Re: Is McLaren really off the pace?

Personally, I can never see their crazy design winning a race this sea... OH SNAP.
Yer.

Just_a_fan

gibells wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:Back to topic.

When do you think they’ll sort out the chronic instability due to the yaw problem? It’s really hampering their performance ... apparently.
Hahaha. Great one. We'd have to ask our resident yaw expert. Seg...Do you know
(any yaw experts)?
I believe Seg has been asked to take a leave of absense...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Giblet

This is in fact true. I hope he returns one day in a muted and/or humbled sense as he often had great insight and at the end of the day he was an active member but we have rules and nobody can blatantly break them that many times and expect to stick around for long. I think that kind of thing applies to life as much as this forum.

If anyone has questions about it, please ask a Mod in PM so were are not dragging anyone through the mud.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Tamburello

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:...and catching Red Bul at a rate of knots
I was going to dispute this but I think I'll let it pass as 'artistic license'.

beelsebob

Tumbarello wrote:
Realistically, I think we've seen McLaren catch RedBull at a rate of knots for a short while due 90% to figuring out how to set their car up. The question now is whether they can ship out upgrades that work. Currently the answer seems to be no, we'll have to see what comes up at Turkey.

lebesset

tumberello ...not in my memory
but he does have a nice car nearly 20 years old !!!
I know which I would prefer !
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Tamburello

beelsebob wrote:
Tumbarello wrote:
Realistically, I think we've seen McLaren catch RedBull at a rate of knots for a short while due 90% to figuring out how to set their car up. The question now is whether they can ship out upgrades that work. Currently the answer seems to be no, we'll have to see what comes up at Turkey.
But the point is that the gap in qualy between Australia and China isn't much reduced and nor is the relative race paces over the three GPs. Whatever 'catching up at a rate of knots' that they were doing from pre-season testing to the first GP seems to have stalled.

But maybe that's what you're saying to...
Last edited by Tamburello on 18 Apr 2011, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.

PlatinumZealot

Yes, The RedBulls were running handicapped and they still were faster.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

raymondu999

eh? Which handicap are you referring to? The electric boost widget?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Just_a_fan

Tumbarello wrote:
beelsebob wrote: Realistically, I think we've seen McLaren catch RedBull at a rate of knots for a short while due 90% to figuring out how to set their car up. The question now is whether they can ship out upgrades that work. Currently the answer seems to be no, we'll have to see what comes up at Turkey.
But the point is that the gap in qualy between Australia and China isn't much reduced and nor is the relative race paces over the three GPs. Whatever 'catching up at a rate of knots' that they were doing from pre-season testing to the first GP seems to have stalled.

But maybe that's what you're saying to...
The point is that they won the last race having not been in a position to do so in the previous two races. Now, one can argue that it was strategy not raw pace that won the race but the points get awarded either way. Having the fastest car is irrelevant if you don't maximise its potential.

There are three weeks to the next race so we'll see if they can improve the -26's pace relative to the RB7. If not, then RBR will probably win easily again.

Tamburello

Just_a_fan wrote:The point is that they won the last race
No, this was not the point. The point was "they are catching Red Bull at a rate of knots".

raymondu999

Well to be fair, China is a longer lap, and they were only ahead by around the same amount, so it's a smaller percentage
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Tamburello

Fair enough.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Tumbarello wrote:Fair enough.
Phew, I will take care with my phraseology next time. :lol:
More could have been done.
David Purley

Just_a_fan

Tumbarello wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:The point is that they won the last race
No, this was not the point. The point was "they are catching Red Bull at a rate of knots".
It doesn't matter how - only results matter. If Red Bull get to the end of the season without winning one or other or both titles then it'll be because another team has developed a faster car or used the car they have better. Either way the result is the same.

No good sitting there at the end of the last race saying "but we had the fastest car" if the other guy has the silverware...

Get to the end of the season with the results and you can say "we won because we have the best car / driver / guys in the factory / management* (*delete as required).

At present Red Bull have the fastest car - no one is denying that. They haven't made best use of it so this has allowed McLaren to catch up. If Red Bull continue to make strategic mistakes and allow McLaren (or others) to take victories then they won't win the title race.