HDTV is better & DRS rule should be changed!!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
raymondu999

Re: HDTV is better & DRS rule should be changed!!

Still, that's only upscaled. There never was any HD feed. Just never existed. Not the world feed, anyways.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

thestig84
thestig84

she_spools_180 wrote:I don't understand... here in Australia, we have been getting the F1s in HDTV for at least 2 years now (I think this is the third year now), why has it taken so long to get it everywhere else?
That is not possible as this is the first year Bernie has allowed F1 to be shot in full HD. You were watching upscaled SD.

Edit: Sorry for some reason none of similar responses to mine were shown until I posted mine. Feel free to delete.

she_spools_180
she_spools_180

thestig84 wrote:
she_spools_180 wrote:I don't understand... here in Australia, we have been getting the F1s in HDTV for at least 2 years now (I think this is the third year now), why has it taken so long to get it everywhere else?
That is not possible as this is the first year Bernie has allowed F1 to be shot in full HD. You were watching upscaled SD.

Edit: Sorry for some reason none of similar responses to mine were shown until I posted mine. Feel free to delete.
I think I phrased my follow up question incorrectly.

Why is it then, that the picture looked better on OneHD (HDTV channel) than on OneDigital (same channel but in SD), if OneHD was using upscaling to fit the HD screen, and then, I assume, OneDigital was also using upscaling to fit the HD screen.

Unless, my eyes were deceiving me...? and it was exactly the same picture? (This question is more aimed at other Australians who watch the broadcast on either or both of these channels)

raymondu999

I can't speak specifically for your case, but it could be that the TV's upscaling algorithms are not as good as the station's, resulting in a better picture. OR, it could be a simple case of mind over matter. You're subconsciously thinking, "This is an HD feed, so it should look better" so your brain thinks it does
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

connollyg
connollyg

So it might be down to the bit rate used, According to wikipedia. Certainly different SD channels show different quality on my set

Standard definition TV (SDTV), by comparison, may use one of several different formats taking the form of various aspect ratios depending on the technology used in the country of broadcast. For 4:3 aspect-ratio broadcasts, the 640 × 480 format is used in NTSC countries, while 720 × 576 is used in PAL countries. For 16:9 broadcasts, the 704 × 480 format is used in NTSC countries, while 720 × 576 is used in PAL countries. However, broadcasters may choose to reduce these resolutions to save bandwidth (e.g., many DVB-T channels in the United Kingdom use a horizontal resolution of 544 or 704 pixels per line).[1]

chepoi
chepoi

"nobody" care about DRS! no point to set a DRS point.... look this video. the driver using it constantly...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLVlP8qV ... re=feedbul[/youtube]

Poleman

chepoi wrote:"nobody" care about DRS! no point to set a DRS point.... look this video. the driver using it constantly...
You are missing something here friend...DRS points/zones are only set for the race.In practice and qualifying you can use it whenever and wherever you want.