Head to head analysis between Hamilton vs. Vettel

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
marcush.

Re: Head to head analysis between Hamilton vs. Vettel

Even IF Vettels RB7 had more ultimate speed potential(and who would bet against this) ,we will not know how much the combo would have been able to extract if pushed harder by the opposition.
so the discussion is academic and we will only ever know when opponents get their act together.
to me Hamilton should have dived into the pits together with Vettel in the hope to retain the gap as it was and see what can be done with it (vettel in need to push harder).You can clearly see in the overlay that Vettel stopped immediatedly
when his tyres were giving up.Hamilton could go on a bit further but had the same
giveup with delay.Had he done it paralell you can see from the graph that speedwise they wer equal after the stop ,maybe Hamilton -with damaged car!) even more consistant.
After all Hamilton was in need of having to push harder and his car cried enough
even though it was surprising it did not disintegrate more given Hamilton did not really nurse it.

volarchico

I don't have all the lap times and am not sure where to get them, but my question is about the big drop off on Hamilton's "time to leader" at the end of that graph. Was this because Hamilton was driving slower or Vettel was driving faster? (or both)

myurr

volarchico wrote:I don't have all the lap times and am not sure where to get them, but my question is about the big drop off on Hamilton's "time to leader" at the end of that graph. Was this because Hamilton was driving slower or Vettel was driving faster? (or both)
Both were cruising by that point. Hamilton wasn't going to catch Vettel with a broken car and Petrov was never going to challenge Hamilton. So they both backed off and cruised to the line. Hamilton just cruised slightly slower than Vettel.

747heavy

in this case Hamilton driving slower by ~0.8-1 sec a lap

laptimes can be found here:
http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/f1 ... alysis.pdf

as a general coment:
from the graphic you can´t read laptimes.
as the name suggests it only shows the gap at the end of each lap and how it develops
the car leading the race is the reference
if one of the following cars drives faster then the leading car, the gap will reduce and the line for the following car raise from left to right.
if you go to the Australian GP thread, you can see this for Alonso and Webber in the second half of the rcae.
Both laped consistently quicker then Vettel from ~lap 28 onwards
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

volarchico

Thanks for the link!

kalinka

CHT wrote:For Vettel, who is leading the race from pole, there is really nothing much to gain weather if he lead by 2 sec or 20 sec ahead of lewis. ultimately it is about staying ahead and bringing the car to the finish line and collect the 25 points.
@CHT : It was much like a tradition of RBR to do the "go hard" stint first, and then nobody can catch them. In situations where they were unable to do this, usually they loose the win last year. So I don't think Vettel was so comfortable sitting in his RBR and "watching" Hamilton closes the ga before first pitstop. Maybe if there was someone else there....So I don't think it was very far from indifferent for Vettel weather it was 5sec or 1.5sec.

One stint is not enough to judge, but maybe ( just maybe ) it'll be the trend for some time that McLaren is better at the end of the stint, and RBR at the beginning ?

raymondu999

Maybe Vettel likes a little bit of drama? :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

PlatinumZealot

What have we here...

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

CHT
CHT

who is the guy in the middle?

raymondu999

If I'm not wrong, that is Mr. Pop Idol. Simon Fuller. Hmmm...
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

CHT
CHT

raymondu999 wrote:If I'm not wrong, that is Mr. Pop Idol. Simon Fuller. Hmmm...
No Simon Fuller looks more like singer Paul Young

speedsense

CHT wrote:
n smikle wrote:His tyres were done remember? Hamilton kept his tyres longer. I think Hamilton know he can beat Vettel if he only just gets his car slightly faster. When you read all the Hamilton quotes after Melbourne I think he's got a psychological confidence over the Speed of Vettel. In other words Hamilton knows that Vettel's speed has not yet been proven against a top driver. And the way he was gaining on him at the end of the first stint shows a weakness in Vettel's control over worn tyres.

Lewis was about 2sec behind Vettel right before vettel pitted on lap 14. When Vettel rejoin the race, he was stuck behind button briefly before overtaking him on lap 15. On lap 16, lewis pitted, and rejoin the race right next to button, and Vettel was already 5.5 sec ahead. What happen after that, is all history.

Vettel and Lewis pitted for soft tyres on lap 14 and 16 respectively, and both pitted again on lap 36 for prime tyres. Which mean, Vettel did managed to run his soft tyres for 22 laps (8 laps more then his first stint on same soft tyres) while lewis only managed 20.

I am not trying to draw any conclusion here but I think it is premature to say Lewis is good at preserving tyres, or Lewis was pushing Vettel to the limit.
Hamilton's splitter was broken on lap 27, you can see it flapping from the head on camera shot. The car started to understeer and burned up the fronts sooner. Mclaren had to stop at the same time as Vettel...

I would say it's more to do with the chassis that is easier on the tires vs the RB, though Hamilton can help that along. At least when the aero bits are breaking off the car.... :D IMHO
"Driving a car as fast as possible (in a race) is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction." Peter Wright,Techical Director, Team Lotus

myurr

CHT wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:If I'm not wrong, that is Mr. Pop Idol. Simon Fuller. Hmmm...
No Simon Fuller looks more like singer Paul Young
Crossed with a little bit of David Brent.

2011F1

Hey they are updating Head to head analysis between Hamilton vs Alonso

Interesting, I think they are still focusing Lewis Hamilton.
Alonso and his Ferrari F150 Italia was remarkably less aggressive than it had seemed through the latest winter period. Formula1onlive did an analysis on Alonso vs his arch rival Hamilton lap by lap and bring you more insights on what happened in Australian GP 2011.
Head to head analysis between Hamilton vs. Alonso: http://www.formula1onlive.com/2011/03/2 ... is_30.html

PlatinumZealot

this was the original thread..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏