F1 Technical Wiki?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
wesley123

Re: F1 Technical Wiki?

machin wrote:
wesley123 wrote:Who is going to write all this? I like the idea, but writing it takes alot of time and knowledge, you cannot put a random guy on it writing the text.
Its a Wiki... WE all write it..... that's how Wikipaedia works..... This would be the opportunity for all of us to create an easily useable source of technical information for F1/racing cars which would be available for all time... who fancies being part of that?
Sure, it is a good idea, but unless the normal wiki this site is actually more 'wrong info sensitive'. No ofeence to fellow members butt here are alot of members who think they know everything of aerodynamics or mechanics(and i have to say that i am quite a bit part of that, to be honest), these guys wil just write wrong information there.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

machin

I really don't like the idea of making more work for moderators... Perhaps we'd all learn not to write contentious articles (or if its new at least to clearly write FACTS with references) if they keep getting changed? Actually that might well be a good thing!
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

wesley123 wrote:[Sure, it is a good idea, but unless the normal wiki this site is actually more 'wrong info sensitive'. No ofeence to fellow members butt here are alot of members who think they know everything of aerodynamics or mechanics(and i have to say that i am quite a bit part of that, to be honest), these guys wil just write wrong information there.
That's pretty much what I have said above.
Maidel wrote:Isn't it better to assume that the 'people' are the regulatory body and only intervene on articles that get flagged up due to excessive modifications?
I think we can trust most members to be relaible and open to any feedback (both positive and negative) on what they post and, as you say, we regulate ourselves. But how do we deal with the "know it all" element?

mep

I am against this wiki idea.
I just experienced it in a other forum. I think it was a epic fail and I finally left the forum.

Maidel

andrew wrote: I think we can trust most members to be relaible and open to any feedback (both positive and negative) on what they post and, as you say, we regulate ourselves. But how do we deal with the "know it all" element?
Personally I would ban 'know it alls'...

Thats probably putting me in a very small % of people with that opinion.

Ciro Pabón

Well, I contribute to Wikipedia articles on F1... that's an idea.
Ciro

kalinka

Actually I would suggest a somewhat restricted wiki, more like "F1 dictionary" which would be indeed helpful for new users. There we can add common F1 technical words, explaining their meaning with description/picture/even video. I'm an F1 fan for long time, and I like technical things very much, but even I found myself in a situation when I want to post something, but I can't remember if something is actually correct or not ( even simple things sometimes ). It would benefit after some time to more correct posts in forums. It would contain all important words which we use here constantly, going from simple things like :
- endplate
- contact patch
- prime tyre/option tyre
- AoA - Angle Of Attack
- CoG - Centre of Gravity....etc..etc
- camber

to some more complex things like :

- suspension elements
- push rod/pull rod
- diffusor
- KERS....etc...etc...

Also later we can reference for this "dictionary" in forums...directing new members to read something if they don't know....etc..
-

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Just_a_fan

It appears that the focus needs to be kept fairly restricted, initially at least, to simple technical issues that aren't contentious. There certainly shouldn't be a wiki comparing drivers, for example, because you're straight in to fanboyism then.

I've already referenced the cfd-online site as an example and wonder what people think of their wiki element...

Edit: addition.

I mentioned in another thread (on moderators sucking or something) that mods might end up acting as filters removing good technical/engineering posts from the general detritous of the ordinary threads to a sort of read-only archive. This is almost like a wiki site but with limited (to mods) authorship. As a starting point, it might be worth considering? As it develops, perhaps editorial control could be extended to forum members of good standing (perhaps agreed by a simple vote of the general readership - if a member is voted for by e.g. 20 other members then they get editorial access)

Dunno, just running out some ideas...
Last edited by Just_a_fan on 02 Apr 2011, 00:53, edited 1 time in total.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mx_tifoso

As Andrew kindly pointed out, we already have a glossary. By going to that page one can see that it is possible to suggest new words to the extensive list, feel free to do so if what one is looking for isn't included.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Just_a_fan

The glossary would be a good starter for a wiki site. Some of the current definitions are quite basic and could be embellished to give more complete information. Using quality references in any extended definition/wiki would set the tone for other work therein.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

kalinka

andrew wrote:You mean this?

http://www.f1technical.net/glossary/
Yes, but much more user friendly version of it. I mean links to sources, pictures, drawings, even videos, with clickable cross-references. Currently it's only 310 word as you see, but the main problem is the useability and not the number of words.

machin

This sounds good... And pretty easy to implement... You could actually post your suggested descriptions here on the forum to allow other people to add their suggested amendments before its transfered to the actual glossary...?

machin

...keeping it to a glossary format should ensure its less contentious too... But it could have links to particular forum topics...?

mep

Guys it’s a forum, why do we need something like a wiki?
There is already wikipedia. If you want to know or write something just go there.
There is no need to reinvent the wheel over and over again.
The forum has enough own problems. First they need to be solved before you create new ones without any need. The forum probably will just suffer under a wiki on this site.