F1 Technical Wiki?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Ciro Pabón

Re: F1 Technical Wiki?

H...well, yes.
Ciro

N12ck

I like this wiki idea, you could say that know it alls would write utter rubbish on the wiki, however wikipedia is doing quite well, as people clean out the rubbish and creates a discussion on an article to get it to its best,

i can already see the fduct article 8)

i think it can work, people say it cant, yet look at wikipedia...... that works and hasnt failed, so why cant this work?
Budding F1 Engineer

Formula None

Agree with mep. Why not just get Wikipedia accounts and write/append articles there?

How about improving F1T's search tool? Maybe add a "search with google" option. There's already so much content here, its just hard to find.

stu112

Yeah, i think it would be a great idea. While im not new to F1 itself, i've recently decided i would like to learn a lot more about the technical/engineering side of F1. I've already posted asking if anyone can point me in the right direction of websites that can explain the basics of things like engines, suspension and aero etc etc. As as been said there is a huge wealth of knowledge on this forum but its hard to find the info that im looking for. If it was all together in a Wiki style section it would be so much easier than for example typing "Suspension" into the search box and having to wade through the thousands of posts to find the info i would like.

Although while this is a good idea in theory, the practical side of the task isn't any mean feat. Im a member of another forum (not F1 related) and they have been putting together there own wiki. It takes a couple of dedicated mods (and/or a few high ranking members) to actually organize the whole thing, set up a sub forum for it, write code if needed, proof read and edit articles, compile it into a user friendly readable format and keep on top of which topics have been covered and which topics need more work. Then all you need is members to take time out to actually put all there knowledge together and write up the articles. It can be done but takes a huge amount of time, organization and dedication.

mep

The reason why nobody finds anything here is because the forum is very disordered. Just check the possible sections we have. In F1 section there is:
general chat
Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
(all non technical topics)
Aerodynamics chassis and tyres.
Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
What? How do tires fit to Aerodynamics and chassis? It’s very clear that tires are mechanical grip and don’t fit to aero and chassis. Furthermore in the following description there is also suspension mentioned Well this is clearly mechanical.
Engine transmission and controls
All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Yea generally the mechanical side of F1. So why are tires and suspension missing here? This is so blatantly wrong. I wonder why nobody else is complaining about this. It’s clear that nobody has a idea (including the mods) where to put new topics and why so many things are on wrong places.

Then we basically have “Other racing series” and “Off topic”. Other racing series should contain all the technical topics which don’t fit to F1. Off topic should contain all the topics which are not related to motorsport at all. However when you search trough the off topic section you will find many topics which obviously don’t belong there because they speak about motorsport related technical issues some even about F1. I went through a couple of pages and that’s what I found:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8159
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9274
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9614
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9226
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8522
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8411
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8273
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7759
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7687
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7053
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7097
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7039
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6705
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6904

They all content race car related technical information and should not be put in off topic. They need to be at least in “Other racing series”. I suppose the same as Caito does. There needs to be a subforum for this stuff.
Caito wrote:I think it needs a "mechanic" subforum.

There are the f1 subforums, the news, and other series.

But, for example I made a thread in which I showed a design of a buggy I'm building. With solidworks and susprog suspensions,etc. It was moved to offtopic because it doesn't fit anywhere else. It got little views and when I asked for help it went unnoticed.

If someone wants (for example) to discuss the functioning of a differential, how it works. Where would you put that?
There needs to be something like the “mechanic subforum” or a general technical or engineering subforum. Also its noticeable that in off topic section there are many topics asking about career issues like university to choose or how to get involved into motorsport.

Before you even dream of a wiki problems like that should be solved.

BTW:
Why is this topic in Formula one, General chat?
Just that it will show up on front page?
It should be in “Site announcements & support“.
Can somebody obviously unable of posting in the correct section propose something like a Wikipedia?

Giblet

You seem to be misunderstanding (and off topic in the wrong thread) about how the forum is arranged so to be sure we are on the same page.......

Formula One
- General
-- Formula One Cars
-- Formula One Races
- Aerodynamics, Chassis, and Tyres
- Engine, Transmission, and Controls

Automotive
- Other Racing Series
- Automotive News and Technology

General
- Off Topic Chat
- Site Announcement and Support

*Notice there is a General main heading at the bottom, and a General sub heading in Formula One. They are not the same.
mep wrote:
What? How do tires fit to Aerodynamics and chassis?
Tires, Aero, and Chassis are all interconnected like no other. Suspension goes here as well, it's part of the rolling chassis. They are all adjusted in unison to make the car perform at a track. The tires are discussed at length in this forum for their aero shape, how they provide grip, and how thy work with the chassis.

The Engine, Transmission and Controls, otherwise commonly known as the drivetrain are kept together as they are all related as well. Some F1 teams are divided the same way. Some teams get new suppliers, and get a whole new The Engine, Transmission, and Controls in a car meant for others.

Just because some messages are in the wrong categories, does not mean that the sections themselves are wrong. Organization is a forever process and will never be perfect, and is the responsibility of every user and mod.
mep wrote:
Yea generally the mechanical side of F1. So why are tires and suspension missing here? This is so blatantly wrong. I wonder why nobody else is complaining about this. It’s clear that nobody has a idea (including the mods) where to put new topics and why so many things are on wrong places.
Maybe Mechanical is ont the best word to have there, but to be clear so you know, he means drive train and ancillaries like hydraulics.

We don't put the topics in sections, the users do. We only move them when you do it wrong. We don't read every topic, so if people would use the report system more it would help.

Most users here, including you mep, know there is a thread for suggestions to the site. Why not use that or one like it, instead of doing exactly what you are complaining against and posting in the wrong topic where only luck will allow Tomba to see it, who is the only person who can do anything. I am merely a Forum Mod, and any other input to the site I have is exactly the same as yours. All I can do is move and change messages and threads.

It's like yelling out the window to get something done instead of making a proper phone call to the right person, when you have the option of doing so. Especially if they ears you are aiming for are not right outside that window. Maybe they are downtown, or on a boat.

Remember, the Forum and any posible Wikipedia are not one and the same concept, and will operate completely different and independent of each other so fixing these problems that you perceive has nothing to do with it.

I really don't think it's fair or productive to derail threads with unrelated grievances.

Last but bot least in regards that list of threads you posted, the proper thing to do is to report them if you feel they are misplaced. We will move them if we agree. Again we can't possibly read every post, so we require users to help by using the built in systems of the site.

Here is the proper place.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

machin

@MEP: you're right; I couldn't decide where to put this topic... But as I'm not part of the admin team starting it in 'Site announcements' didn't seem right at all...?
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

N12ck

I think this wiki idea is a brilliant one, so when you gon on f1 technical you can have 2 options, forum or wiki, and if you limited it so you can only post facts on the articles it will be fine :)
Budding F1 Engineer

machin

... The arguement though is that sometimes people think they know the facts but don't... However, I think it could work if the Wiki referenced the forums... So EBD's could be described as 'the use of exhaust gases from the the car's engine to enhance the effectiveness of the diffuser'... Include photos of the various teams solutions and then a link to the relevant forums where the mechanics of how they work is discussed...? Sound workable?
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

N12ck

yes and explain the pros/ cons of blowing above and in the diffuser, and make sure you source the information, or if you cant source it mark it as speculation
Budding F1 Engineer