Mechanical issue with Webber’s RB7

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
myurr

Re: Mechanical issue with Webber’s RB7

raymondu999 wrote:
univex wrote:For 2010 Vettel picked up his form after an engine map upgrade which effectively replicated (and improved) Webber's ability to feather the throttle whilst getting the power on. The development of the car is always in favour of Vettel and his driving style. Given the age difference between the drivers most teams would obviously do this.

Yes the car is built around the bigger driver (Webber) however the development is around Vettel.
I've heard that being thrown around quite a bit, but the only source I've heard of on that front is Ted Kravitz - hardly the most reliable of sources, methinks :?
So your explanation for Vettel's slump in form relative to Webber and then the reversal is...?

It's probably not the complete picture but it's the only plausible explanation for Webber's run of form and subsequent slump relative to his team mate that I have heard, and is consistent with the subsequent actions of the team (such as the wing fiasco at Silverstone).

I have also not seen it denied anywhere despite, as you point out, it being thrown around quite a bit.

raymondu999

Plausible? Yes. But I can't rid my mind of the thought that it's just theory and speculation as there seems to be no concrete evidence for it. I'm not saying it's untrue, but I'd like to see some evidence before I subscribe myself to it
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

SoliRossi

Neil Crompton reported on Triple M that he spoke to Mark and that it was a seized rear centre spring, effectively stiffening the rear end to an almost un-drivable state, hence increase in tyre wear. Still waiting on official confirmation.

raymondu999

Sorry to sound skeptical (I'm not being skeptical) but source? I'd like to read the article for myself
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

univex

Sometimes the Mechanics are just known to rattle a few spanners in the back of the workshop and tell the driver they found and fixed the problem :)

raymondu999

I used to hear stories about that. With Senna. Or was it Clark?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Lindz

I've done that when I was acting crew chief for my friend, and I've had that done to me when I'm testing/driving as well.

"Yup, we softened the rear damping a few clicks, etc..."

The best way for a driver to perform is for him to have 110% confidence in himself and the car. If a few white lies get his confidence up then there is no harm done.

WhiteBlue

If Webber gets the mechanical problems this time it is only the equalization of the problems that mainly happened on Vettel's car last year. Sh!t happens. Webber did not complain about the advantage he had last year. So he should not complain about the problems now.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

SoliRossi

WhiteBlue wrote:If Webber gets the mechanical problems this time it is only the equalization of the problems that mainly happened on Vettel's car last year. Sh!t happens. Webber did not complain about the advantage he had last year. So he should not complain about the problems now.
@raymondu999 as I mentioned there was no article, it was reported by Crompton on the radio (Triple M), apparently he said he spoke to Mark. I hope he is correct but yeah as I said, still waiting on confirmation.

@White as there has been no report from the team or from Mark there is no indication of him 'complaining'. If its indeed true its been reported by the media as a cause of his pace problems, not from Mark 'complaining'.

f1ssk

I heard Brundle mention in Q2 that something on SV's front wing was broken, a vertical stay and the mechanics quickly shilded the car and got to work on it. And all of a sudden in Q3, Vettel was .8sec quicker. might be they didnt fix it.
This sounds too far feteched but did that damaged front wing improve the front wing flex on the car to increase front end downforce ?? important qn. , if so, would that wing pass the deflection tests ??

Also, I remember MW checking sebs front wing in par ferme after Q3.

PlatinumZealot

univex wrote:For 2010 Vettel picked up his form after an engine map upgrade which effectively replicated (and improved) Webber's ability to feather the throttle whilst getting the power on. The development of the car is always in favour of Vettel and his driving style. Given the age difference between the drivers most teams would obviously do this.

Yes the car is built around the bigger driver (Webber) however the development is around Vettel.
Webber has said many times that he and Vettel like the same setups. Same driving style too. I never really heard any complaints about the setup of the car from these two.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

raymondu999

To be fair we have sometimes heard they have problems with setup, but they'll usually just copy the teammate's setup in FP3 or after FP3, and they'll be happy campers
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

djos

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

This doesn't appear to have been mentioned on F1T but according to DeepThroat (an RBR mechanic) over at the RBR forum, it was a seized rear centre spring that effectively stiffened the rear of Marks car almost to the stage of being un-drivable hence his lack of pace compared to Seb and significantly worse rear tire wear.

Amazingly Helmut has also admitted to there being "a chassis problem".
Last edited by djos on 04 Apr 2011, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

raymondu999

That (the situation, not problem) sounds eerily similar to what was said of Seb's problem right around the Monaco time
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

djos wrote:This doesn't appear to have been mentioned on F1T but according to DeepThroat (an RBR mechanic) over at the RBR forum, it was a seized rear centre spring that effectively stiffened the rear of Marks car almost to the stage of being un-drivable hence his lack of pace compared to Seb and significantly worse rear tire wear.

Amazingly Helmut has also admitted to there being "a chassis problem".
Actually, slight correction. DeepThroat says that wasn't the problem, but it was a good guess. Here:
DeepThroat wrote: Very close to the mark, the problem was along that line. It was related to that part.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法