Schumacher Jerez 1997

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Re: Schumacher Jerez 1997

He doesn't admit to anything in that report. All he says is that he would have approached it differently.

“What would I change in my career?” he mused in response to a question during a special Shell Q&A. “I have some moments that if I could have them again, yes I would do them differently – probably 1997 at Jerez. I would have had a couple of opportunities to avoid all this and still win the championship, but you take your lessons and you learn from them.”

Doesn't sound like an admission to me.

Either way, it's all in the past. Schumacher quite rightly got all the records going and went onto even more success and Villeneuve faded to obscurity (which I always thought was strange but I guess BAR's huge bag of dollars helped).

manchild

andrew wrote:He doesn't admit to anything in that report. All he says is that he would have approached it differently.
By logic that could only be:

1. Hitting more sensitive part of JV's car
2. Not hitting JV's car

Take your pick.

andrew

I respectfully disagree with your logic. It could mean several more things.

I remeber in the race that Schumachers tyres had blistered so logic dictates that he could have gone easier on the car.

But it is all ancient history.

Pandamasque

andrew wrote:I respectfully disagree with your logic. It could mean several more things.
Fair enough.

3. Hitting JV's car much harder.
4. Asking the team to order Eddie Irvine to do the dirty job.

If we ever find out the truth, I don't count on MS to tell it.

Shrieker

Once I recall hearing he had an engine problem. The other time I heard that the set of tyres put on in his last stop were used (probably in practise) and brushed to be re-used again - but I can't see the logic behind that, since those days you had a s..tload set of tyres available, maybe they were expecting some kind of performance gain which only backfired.

My take on the situation was that if Villenueve really had closed the gap from 4.5-5 secs in just two laps, then it's highly likely that something was wrong with schumi's car.

And please, please don't get started about the collision. It's getting ridiculous...
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

manchild

Schuey had identical problem with the leak (or the engine, or the used tyres) back in 1994 with Damon Hill.

It's not his fault at all. Simply - when oil or water leaks on his car (or the engine isn't working properly, or the tyres are worn out), his steering turns right on it's own just when his opponent passes by on the right side.

Schuey tries with all of his might to turn it the other way, but the steering acts as it has the will of it's own - the more he turns it to the left, the more it turns to the right.

To make things worse, just like the steering, the brakes fail at that same moment too, just for a second or two, and than instantly recover as if there was no problem with them at all.

http://www.f1-fansite.com/wallpaper/his ... 3-1600.jpg

Shrieker

LOL, priceless. Looking at that pic now, he probably had aimed for Villeneuve's front left wheel but just missed it. Rest is history.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

strad

I don't understand how anyone can STILL defend Mike.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

andrew

I don't understand why some people love to dig up ancient history! #-o

mep

We had some issue with the tires. Something like slow puncture or the set of tires was just not as good as the previous ones. This was not uncommon during that time.

And yea he tried to crash JV out but was on the outside and therefore end up in gravel.
Now who cares about that?
It was the last race of the season. It's ok to fight little bit harder up to a little touch. That's what I understand under racing and again it was not uncommon in the years before. I might just remind you of several Senna incidents with Prost. For me it's ok as long as you do it on track and don't bring someone into serious danger. It's part of the game.
I don't get why you have to bring that up now again just to support your anti-agenda.
These days people are way to hypocritical.
Btw: You don't need to reply to this quote. I just want to add my opinion but I am not interested in any arguments with you about such an issue.

Just_a_fan

andrew wrote:I don't understand why some people love to dig up ancient history! #-o
Because Michael Schumacher, for all of his undoubted skill behind the wheel, was a cheat. He tried to cheat on several occasions. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Laud him for his wheelwork by all means but don't ever try to convince the world that he was blameless.

And I have no doubt that he'll try to cheat again if he sees it as the only way to win.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

andrew

We are bitter arn't we? I have been lucky enough to see Schumacgher's entire F1 career and I cannot recall one single cheat. His team on the otehr hand......

myurr

andrew wrote:We are bitter arn't we? I have been lucky enough to see Schumacgher's entire F1 career and I cannot recall one single cheat. His team on the otehr hand......
So he didn't deliberately hit Hill or JV, and he didn't deliberately park the car in Monaco? Just to name the three biggest and most obvious cheats of his...

andrew

Not that I believe.

Damon Hill made a move which he has snce admitted that he shouldn't have made as it was desperate. Schumacher took the correct line as he was entitled to do so and Hill rashly lunged up the inside.

As for Jerez, explain why Villeneuve had his front left off the track before hitting Schumacher?

Monaco was driver error. Simply went too fast into the corner. It is obvious from the on-board camera that Schumachers wheel was turned to the right as normal so he was intending to go round the corner.

Something I have never understood is that these incidents which are debatable are constantly dredged up yet blatently Senna ramming Prost off the track in Japan is held in great reverence. Why is that?

mep

andrew wrote: Something I have never understood is that these incidents which are debatable are constantly dredged up yet blatently Senna ramming Prost off the track in Japan is held in great reverence. Why is that?
+1

Not to mention cheats done by Alonso, which are moreover on a totally different level. I should start to search my Alonso cheat and misdoing list because I am sure I can add some new ones to that soon.