Hamilton vs Button

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ringo

Re: Vettel just shy of Grand Slam, Hamilton beats penalty re

This thread has 90% post about Hamilton already. :lol:
Give Vettel a thread by himself, this one isn't doing him any favours.

Anyway, this isn't really Hamilton's fall. It's really the fall of Mclaren as a whole.
Next year it can change as quickly. Remember 2005 and 2006?

Alonso bullet proof and and top. Then came 2007.

I wouldn't say Hamilton wouldn't be Mclaren's star driver next year either. Lets face it, Button is getting good results, but he still doesn't have that #1 driver capability to fight for wins like a Hamilton or Alonso. Vettel doesn't fear him, and He has openly stated that he was managing Button and had more than enough pace to unleash if Button gets close. Mclaren can't have that as #1 driver. That would
make them look useless. As it is right now only button is in the fight and we all know it will amount to nothing.
For all we know Hamilton wins the last 5 races. whie getting 5 more penalties.
Last edited by ringo on 27 Sep 2011, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
For Sure!!

donskar

IMHO, Hamilton is a victim of unrealistic expectations. He is an excellent driver, but one among many currently active. He is a WDC, an achievemnt to be proud of, but he won it by the narrowest of margins. Maybe he got too much too soon. Maybe he was coddled by McLaren as he developed. Whatever, he is under extraordinary pressure from without and (probably) from within. IMHO he sometimes tries a bit too hard to meet expectations. Result: accidents.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

ringo

Eggsactly.

He can kick ass in the next five races, and he'll still be criticized. They'll say he could have won the championship without the mistakes.
Such is life.
For Sure!!

ringo

timbo wrote:
ringo wrote:He can kick ass in the next five races, and he'll still be criticized. They'll say he could have won the championship without the mistakes.
Such is life.
Well, if he manages to win all five race in a same McLaren (the indication would be Button) there indeed would be questions of what the hell he did at the previous races.
Button aint winning a thing. He's Mr. Almost but never. He'll get the podiums if all goes well. But Lewis will get the wins if all goes well.
You have to fight speed with speed. Vettel has it over Button, as he has said himself.
Last edited by ringo on 28 Sep 2011, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
For Sure!!

andartop

ringo wrote: Button aint winning a thing. He's Mr. Almost but never. He'll get the podiums if all goes well. But Lewis will get the wins if all goes well.
You have to fight speed with speed. Vettel has is over Button, as he has said himself.
Hamilton says team-mate Button has been better during 2011 F1 season:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/94879
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

PlatinumZealot

andartop wrote:
ringo wrote: Button aint winning a thing. He's Mr. Almost but never. He'll get the podiums if all goes well. But Lewis will get the wins if all goes well.
You have to fight speed with speed. Vettel has is over Button, as he has said himself.
Hamilton says team-mate Button has been better during 2011 F1 season:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/94879
Of course Hamilton is going to say that Button had the better season. And every Hamilton fan knows that Button has done better over the season; He has more points. (He is obviously still the slower and less winning of the two drivers).

BUT the point is that Button is merely happy collecting points, and Button has never really won with speed while he is at Mclaren. Hamilton though races to win. 2nd in the championship? Who cares... I want to win some races if I can't win the big one.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌
🟤🟤 Coco puffs are my favourite too! 🟤🟤

ringo

richard_leeds wrote:
ringo wrote:Button is getting good results, but he still doesn't have that #1 driver capability to fight for wins like a Hamilton or Alonso.
ringo wrote:Button aint winning a thing. He's Mr. Almost but never. He'll get the podiums if all goes well. But Lewis will get the wins if all goes well.
errr... they both have the same number of wins. Button has 8 podiums (57%) while Hamilton has 4 (29%). That would appear to make Button more "winning".

Alonso has 1 win and 7 podiums. That's a terrible conversion rate. Does that make him more an "almost" man than the others, because he has less wins?

That's a technical forum for you, we like numbers... and this is meant to be a stats thread.

-------

ps... To offer an olive branch, I think you are saying Hamilton is more ballsy, has more passion. We'd all agree with that. In his first 2 season that brought rewards, it was a winning approach, but this season it has been counter productive.
You seem like a native english man. Notice my use of the word fight. Ahhh!! :P
Now when have you seen Button win a race on pace, and not pitstops and safety cars.
You have to admit the external conditions and events like excessive attrition rate make Buttons wins happen. You can't tell me with a straight face Button will start in P2 on the grid and have a snow balls chance in hell or running down vettel and beating him on raw pace.
I think you know this already. You see it every race. Vettel is quicker, and DC and Brundle always bemoan the fact Hamilton is not chasing the guy.

The whole idea of being disappointed with Hamilton's points collecting doesn't make sense when the title fight isn't a fight. Collect points for what?

As a fan i only care for wins and beat downs with a season like this. Memorable races.
Get wins or die trying. 8)

If Hamilton can win 2 out of the five left, then no one can honestly be disappointed, unless you want to feel that way. Heck i like the penalties too, give me 2 more of those with the race wins. :lol:
For Sure!!