Stupidest retirements for technical reasons

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
kalinka

Re: Stupidest retirements for technical reasons

Another stupid black-flag situation >

"For the second race running, Juan Pablo Montoya was disqualified. The BMW-Williams driver was excluded by Stewards after 57 laps 'as a result of not leaving the grid within the requisite 15 seconds' prior to the warm-up lap.
A spokesman said the Colombian's car 'could not be started' at Indy. "We asked him to get out of the car and go into the spare," he continued.
Montoya, black-flagged when in third place, was 'very upset,' according to Sir Frank Williams, who said he only missed the 15-second rule by a few seconds."

It was U.S GP Indianapolis in 2004.

xpensive

Has anyone mentioned Jean Alesi forgetting to go in for a refuel? ](*,)
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

zyphro

n smikle wrote:Alguershari running out of fuel after the first stint in Abudahbi 2009.
:P :lol:

N12ck

Dont know if this was mentioned already, but the bung at 2010 Monaco GP in Jenson's car :)
Budding F1 Engineer

xpensive

Not technical but; Stefano Modena retiring from his first GP, 1987 in Adelaide, on lap 31 for physical xhaustion!

toshinden

Was the San Marino GP 1985 can be in the list? there were many retirement cause by electronic failure and running out of fuel #-o
"the day the child realize that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult" - Alden Nowlan

ESPImperium

Lucas Di Grasi in 2010 at the Japaneese GP has to have the best one, whilst on the reconansance lap to the grid from the pits he crashed at 225Ks at 130R. Crashing on the way to the grid, why, just why?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdCoLLQ03WM[/youtube]

SeijaKessen

toshinden wrote:Was the San Marino GP 1985 can be in the list? there were many retirement cause by electronic failure and running out of fuel #-o
Prost got DQ'd after he won the race due to the car running too light. :lol:

At least it gave Elio de Angelis his second and final GP win though.

xpensive

When luck-less Reine Wisell brake-tested his March 731, borrowed from MrM for the occasion, on the warm-up lap for the 1973 Swedish GP and the entire front suspension collapsed.

JayeOFarrell

One of my favorites is Virgin designing a car with a fuel tank that was to small to get to the end of a grand prix, as a Virgin engineer you must have kicked yourself a few times over that one =D>
“Be clearly aware of the stars and infinity on high. Then life seems almost enchanted after all.”
― Vincent van Gogh

toshinden

SeijaKessen wrote:
toshinden wrote:Was the San Marino GP 1985 can be in the list? there were many retirement cause by electronic failure and running out of fuel #-o
Prost got DQ'd after he won the race due to the car running too light. :lol:

At least it gave Elio de Angelis his second and final GP win though.
that was the most hilarious part =D>

i was recall reading an article about a driver that crash due to downshifting which he supposed to upshifting but i cannot recall who it was. if i'm not mistaken it was in monaco, anyone can recall this one?
"the day the child realize that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult" - Alden Nowlan

stefan_

kalinka wrote:Another stupid black-flag situation >

"For the second race running, Juan Pablo Montoya was disqualified. The BMW-Williams driver was excluded by Stewards after 57 laps 'as a result of not leaving the grid within the requisite 15 seconds' prior to the warm-up lap.
A spokesman said the Colombian's car 'could not be started' at Indy. "We asked him to get out of the car and go into the spare," he continued.
Montoya, black-flagged when in third place, was 'very upset,' according to Sir Frank Williams, who said he only missed the 15-second rule by a few seconds."

It was U.S GP Indianapolis in 2004.
When I read your post, Montoya's voice came into my head saying "F***ing marshals, they f***ing black flagged me f****ing idiots, they broke my f***ing race." :lol:

On the other hand, why did they wait for 57 laps?
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

lebesset

Just_a_fan wrote:Mansell allowed his Williams to die whilst leading and waving to the crowd...Canada 91. What made it even funnier is that it let Piquet through for his last F1 win. And Mansell disliked Piquet following their time together at Williams...
I thought he accidentally turned the engine switch
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Lurk

JayeOFarrell wrote:One of my favorites is Virgin designing a car with a fuel tank that was to small to get to the end of a grand prix, as a Virgin engineer you must have kicked yourself a few times over that one =D>
This one is a little different. FIA crash tests method changed when the tube was already done.
They have to downsize the tank to ensure the car pass the test, hoping that it will be still large enough, but it wasn't. :wink:

Rob W

Monza 2000 > Button during his early Williams days had a monumentally stupid retirement for crashing behind the safety car. He floored it just at the car in front was braking > went off and clipped the wall.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwfXjr_FDLg[/youtube]

Also - Montoya one year exited the pits under the safety car as the train came past and was black-flagged. Some serious egg on faces at McLaren that race.