A paperboard Red Bull RB7

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
bhall

Re: A paperboard Red Bull RB7

Careful. An F1 employee has been released from his duties for posting here. ;)

mx_tifoso

Congratulations on the offer Paul! I hope it works out for the best, keep us informed on how it goes.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

PaulB

Hello guys!
mx_tifoso wrote:Congratulations on the offer Paul! I hope it works out for the best, keep us informed on how it goes.
I'll give my best to pass.

Okay, my RB7's going on.
The rear wing is finished now. At the moment he is at the paintshop. I've very big problems there because fo the lacquer corrodes the glue. The glueing line between the flaps and the endplate is very thin, so the lacquer destroyed the glued connection. Two times, the flaps fell of the plates. Now I hope I get it work.

The wing itself is a bit of a disarragement. With endplates and configuration of Monza, it has a early season DRS flap. The reason is, that I want to make th Monza config because of the missing slots which avoids the vortices. But I've already manufactured the DRS flap and did not want to destry it...

I've also finished the head protection.

At the mo I'm working at the side pod covers.

The cutting edges will be covered by the RB lettering later.

That's it for the moment, thanks for watching.
Cheers,
Paul
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose!" - Ayrton Senna

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL
http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/

beelsebob

The rear wing looks great! I want to say "you suck if the DRS flap doesn't actually work", it's simply false – you rock no matter what!

PaulB

Hello guys!
beelsebob wrote:The rear wing looks great! I want to say "you suck if the DRS flap doesn't actually work", it's simply false – you rock no matter what!
Nono, my DRS isn't movable. :lol:

At the mo I'm rack my brain, how I can get it done, that the engine cover stays in this position by itself.

The shape of the cover is great, but the fitting will need all my skills...

That's it for the moment, thanks for watching!
Cheers,
Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

ced381

Great work Paul! Keep it up!

No shark fin right? ;)
'09 Volkswagen CC Sportline 2.0TSI 'Jennie'

wrcsti

Small magnets to secure it maybe? Would also make it easy to remove.

beelsebob

Are you able to make teeny paper fasteners at the same location as the actual fasteners on the car by any chance?

Richard

Hi Paul

Nice to see the progress. Also good news about the RB interview, do lots of preparation. I'm sure you'll be fine on the engineering questions, but might be a good idea to speak to the careers people at your local uni for tips on interview technique.

Finally, of course we'd love to see a manual on how you made this! I guess it'll be a collection of the posts in this thread?

Richard

Tyler

I'm amazed by your work - I cannot believe the level of detail, it's mind boggling and totally awe inspiring!!
You're extremely talented - I'm really enjoying following your progress, thank you.
Keep up the good work!!!!! =D>

PaulB

Hello guys!
ced381 wrote:Great work Paul! Keep it up!

No shark fin right? ;)
I thought about, but because of the fact, that they drove the shark fin only in pre-season testing, I've disclaimed to built one.
wrcsti wrote:Small magnets to secure it maybe? Would also make it easy to remove.
I'm sure, that magnets in that size will be too weak.
beelsebob wrote:Are you able to make teeny paper fasteners at the same location as the actual fasteners on the car by any chance?
No chance, you'll see it on the 3rd picture.
richard_leeds wrote:Hi Paul

Nice to see the progress. Also good news about the RB interview, do lots of preparation. I'm sure you'll be fine on the engineering questions, but might be a good idea to speak to the careers people at your local uni for tips on interview technique.
I've already done a Interview with my big sister in english. And for sure I'll prepare me as much as I can!
richard_leeds wrote:Hi Paul
Finally, of course we'd love to see a manual on how you made this! I guess it'll be a collection of the posts in this thread?
What kind of manual? To rebuild the car (that's for sure impossible)? Or a "summary" with drawings etc. of my construction report?

To the progress.
The engine cover is in progress. But I don't know if I manage to build fittings for the cover...

Without fitings, the cover looks like this.

The biggest problems for manufacturing some fittings is the smallness of the lax.

Brake calipers in progress.

The removable heat sields are also finished.

And at the end a clean view in the workshop.

That's it for the mo, thanks for watching.
Cheers,
Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

dren

Can you dampen the cover, clamp it in place, and let it dry? I don't know if it will hold its form or not by doing that.
Honda!

Robbobnob

Paul, which driver are you going to Sculpt, Webber or Vettel?

Id go for Vettel, less carboard needed, Webbers chin would use a page in its self!!

I kid, really impressed mate, wish i had the diligence to achieve something that masterful
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

ajprice

If it was Vettel, which one of the many many many helmet designs would it be? :)

Great work on the paper car, I'm seriously impressed!

PaulB

Hello guys!
dren wrote:Can you dampen the cover, clamp it in place, and let it dry? I don't know if it will hold its form or not by doing that.
No way. The cover is too stiff now to change it's shape by damping. But at normal racing cars, the shape is also not perfect and is forced to the fitting points by the fittings.
Robbobnob wrote:Paul, which driver are you going to Sculpt, Webber or Vettel?

Id go for Vettel, less carboard needed, Webbers chin would use a page in its self!!

I kid, really impressed mate, wish i had the diligence to achieve something that masterful
Look at the number. It should be Vettel. :wink:
ajprice wrote:If it was Vettel, which one of the many many many helmet designs would it be? :)

Great work on the paper car, I'm seriously impressed!
No helmet. I'm glad, when the car's finished. I put such an insane amount of work and time in it, that I've enough now. :lol:

Today a small update. The mechanical chassis is more or less finished. The tyres and the engine cover are missing. The finishing of the brake ventilaton covers is missing.

On the work bench are the other parts of the rear brake ventilation.

Now a few pictures of the finished chassis.

Thats it, thanks for watching and at the weekend it'll go on with the rims.

Cheers,
Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL