Silly Season 2011/2012

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
donskar
donskar

Re: Silly Season 2011/2012

Fruitless, but fun, to speculate about drivers, but I do not htink we'll see significant movement among the top teams. I'm more interested in the changes among the top technical teams. Ferrari, Williams, Merc, and McL (among the big names) could be looking for new high-level tech guys.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

JohnsonsEvilTwin

donskar wrote:Fruitless, but fun, to speculate about drivers, but I do not htink we'll see significant movement among the top teams. I'm more interested in the changes among the top technical teams. Ferrari, Williams, Merc, and McL (among the big names) could be looking for new high-level tech guys.
I think these are the changes that make the real difference in F1. Not to belittle Vettel, but had Newey gone to Honda/Brawn/Mercedes it may just be Rosberg gunning for his 6th victory in 7 races.

Naturally, Newey isnt available. But so far I think the 3 next appointments that caught my eye were James Key to Sauber and Bob Bell to Mercedes and Pat Fry to Ferrari.
More could have been done.
David Purley

donskar
donskar

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
donskar wrote:Fruitless, but fun, to speculate about drivers, but I do not htink we'll see significant movement among the top teams. I'm more interested in the changes among the top technical teams. Ferrari, Williams, Merc, and McL (among the big names) could be looking for new high-level tech guys.
I think these are the changes that make the real difference in F1. Not to belittle Vettel, but had Newey gone to Honda/Brawn/Mercedes it may just be Rosberg gunning for his 6th victory in 7 races.

Naturally, Newey isnt available. But so far I think the 3 next appointments that caught my eye were James Key to Sauber and Bob Bell to Mercedes and Pat Fry to Ferrari.
We agree on something? Not sure that's a good thing . . . :lol:

I wonder if Sauber has the resources to make full use of Key's ability. M-B has the material resources, but something is lacking there. Even with Brawn in charge (or is he?) they seem to lack focus. Fry? Is he top shelf quality? I still think Ferrari will make more changes and/or additions to the tech staff. Anyone who was close to Costa (Tombazis?) is at risk.

Tozza Mazza

Toro Rosso's Ascanelli seems good. He's gone wild this year, with some interesting ideas.

donskar
donskar

Tozza Mazza wrote:Toro Rosso's Ascanelli seems good. He's gone wild this year, with some interesting ideas.
I've mentioned Ascanelli several times, but now I wonder; is he an aero guy? I don't think so. (I don't think Fry is, either.) The Ferrari seems to have adequate top-end, good mechanical grip, and good reliability. If aero is their main weakness, then the pressure might be on Tombazis.

Tozza Mazza

It's not Tombazis, it's a 'wind tunnel issue' :wink:

Or not. They won't admit that they couldn't keep up last year and got distracted by Alonso punching above his weight in the F10, meaning lack of dev on the F150. Teams don't really reveal who they're main aero guys are, after the Williams/Newey incident, so we don't know who's good and who's not. If Ferrari don't wanna be so conservative, Ascanelli looks like a good bet.

marcush.
marcush.

Aero work of TR is Migeot of Fondtech if I´mn correct.Ascanelli was long long time race engineer and worked with a lot of great drivers ..Senna ,Berger,Schumacher, Vettel and he worked for Mclaren Bennetton and Ferrari...so surely he knows a thing or two.He seems to be the italien equivalent to pat symonds but without a intact reputation.He would be a good choice for Mercedes as well.

marcush.
marcush.

I think Mercedes will have to reshuffle and bring in a lot of new people and surprise surprise at all fronts we see people willing to move or already launched into gardening leave.
I have not heard a single word about Bell at Mercedes .So he seems to be completely off the current car .At benettton there was for some years a complete split in teams responsible for the car design ,so you wer responsible for a car every two years only..is this introduced at Mercedes now?

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Its looking like there will be new engine partnerships for 2012 as well:

Renault RS24-2012 = Renault/Red Bull/Team Lotus (Red Bull Technology Gearboxes)/Williams
Mercedes FO108Z = Mercedes/McLaren/Force India (McLaren Applied Technologies Gearboxes)/Virgin (McLaren Applied Technologies Gearboxes)
Ferrari 056 = Ferrari/Sauber (Ferrari Gearbox)/Toro Rosso (Red Bull Technology Gearboxes)
Cosworth: Hispania (Williams Grand Prix Engineering Gearboxes)

If there is a reshuffle of engine supply, and Cosworth cant afford to supply only one team, id recon that Hispania could be persauded to go for a Renault RS27 or Ferrari 056 powerplant for 2012. Id recon that a Ferrari powerplant/Gearbox/KERS could be a massive leap for them.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

It looks like Rosberg is set to sign to Merc until 2016. I can't help but feel this is a stupid move.

Merc are a disaster and it is surely only time until the Merc board pull the plug.

http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/Rosb ... 24307.html

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

@ESP,

Williams with a Renault engine? Ah, those were the days...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Those could be the days again. If they find some money from somewhere to give to the aero and technichal guys to make a decent car again.

Also Renault Sport are looking to withdraw from Renault F1, whitch would mean that Einstone would have to use Cosworth power if they cant get Ferrari backing.

flynfrog

And so it begins Silly Season 2012

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2642 ... september/

Perez to test for Ferrari. Massa on his way out?

Traction

Re: And so it begins Silly Season 2012

I really hope Perez gets the seat.Massa imo is just not hungry enough and it would be phenomenal for Ferrari to have a young dynamic driver on the team. Teamed up with Alonso, Perez can learn so much ina short span of time provided they keep the relationship a good on. I `m rooting for Perez on this one 8)
Generally I don't care about what people say. I have to be clear with myself. When everything goes well, people celebrate you, when you make mistakes people criticize you.
Sebastian Vettel

xpensive
xpensive

What odds do I get for Mike Gascoyne at Ferrari during 2012?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"