DRS in Monza/New top speed records?/Best place to sit

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
radosav

Re: DRS in Monza/New top speed records?/Best place to sit

Here is Ricciardo's 360 km/h.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR8kkwJ2d7M[/youtube]

McMrocks

SectorOne wrote:Just continue to develop the ERS system. KERS went from 80 to 160 in four seasons it ran so double it again in another four-five years

320 electric horses plus some from the ERS-H for good measure.
Land driven rockets basically.
Funny is that most of the kinetic energy is still wasted. The front breakes have to "destroy"(convert kinetic to thermal energy) more kinetic energy than the rear brakes. Having said that, 320bhp aren't a THAT outrageously high amount. But it is only achievable if the teams are allowed to recovery energy from the front wheels too.

But, why not?

SectorOne

Yea harvesting from the front brakes could be an interesting thing to do as well, downsizing the front brakes in the process.
Doesn´t one of the big three supercars (i.e. P1, LaFerrari and 918) harvest energy from the front wheels?

What exactly needs to change to up the electrical power? Bigger cables, bigger battery and front end harvesting?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

NTS
NTS

What would also be an interesting engineering challenge is to not allow front harvesting but to upgrade to 320 hp MGU-K and higher energy store limit anyway. That means they have to find more power from the MGU-H or decide on a worse brake balance (interesting to watch, you can use rear brakes only but it requires braking a lot earlier and carries the risk of losing the rear on entry which means lots of sliding). Up to the teams to find the optimum which could get you a better time because you get more power in an undrivable machine or less power in an easier to drive car.

It also allows a driver to out brake somebody by sacrificing some ERS charging which could lead to a re-pass down the following straight. That would be awesome to watch since it takes a few corners to make a move stick if both drivers take a different strategy.

Belatti

You just cant brake with the wrong brake balance. Corner entry speed would be awful and tyres wont last
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Andres125sx

PlatinumZealot wrote:I say increase the fuel flow limit. That is the real enemy here.
+1

De La Rosa said they´re not using the 100kg fuel they´re allowed to use, not in Monza and many more tracks. That´s due to the fuel flow limit.

They don´t reach the 15k rpm limit either because of the fuel flow limit too

So increase the fuel flow limit keeping the same 100kg limit per race, and that will improve the sound because they could reach the 15k rpm limit, the top speeds and the lap times all at once

andylaurence

If they're not short on fuel, why do they use these fuel-saving techniques? They change engine maps and lift/coast to save fuel.

kooleracer

andylaurence wrote:If they're not short on fuel, why do they use these fuel-saving techniques? They change engine maps and lift/coast to save fuel.
More fuel onboard equals, heavier car equals slower laptimes. Also heavier car means more stress through the tyres. Also the teams use simulators to get the optimum fuel levels for the start.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

NTS
NTS

Belatti wrote:You just cant brake with the wrong brake balance. Corner entry speed would be awful and tyres wont last
Take a look at the Rotax Max Senior kart class, those currently drive without front brakes (used to have them a few seasons ago and didn't have them before that). Sure, I out brake them like crazy in a KZ1 which has front brakes and adjustable balance. But that was the point of my suggestion: gain more power by sacrificing a bit of braking (when balance is set more to the rear) or gain drivability and loose some power (when balance is set more to the front). It's an engineering challenge for which they could find and optimum, which probably differs per track and rewrites more adaptation from the drivers = bigger challenge.

Andres125sx

andylaurence wrote:If they're not short on fuel, why do they use these fuel-saving techniques? They change engine maps and lift/coast to save fuel.
What kooleracer said. Also, fuel consumption in race is an estimation that may vary a bit. Also, what if there´s a SC? On tracks like Monza where it´s not rare to deploy some SC teams may hope there will be a SC so the put less fuel to gain some weight/time. If then there´s no SC, you need to save fuel

Obviously it depends on the track, there´s some tracks where they need to save fuel even if they use 100kg (a bit more for the warm up lap actually), but from what he says, there´re a lot of tracks where they don´t need any saving technique if using the full tank. In theory of course, Monza didn´t need it in theory and we saw some teams saving fuel because of their too optimistic prediction

Belatti

NTS wrote:
Belatti wrote:You just cant brake with the wrong brake balance. Corner entry speed would be awful and tyres wont last
Take a look at the Rotax Max Senior kart class, those currently drive without front brakes (used to have them a few seasons ago and didn't have them before that). Sure, I out brake them like crazy in a KZ1 which has front brakes and adjustable balance. But that was the point of my suggestion: gain more power by sacrificing a bit of braking (when balance is set more to the rear) or gain drivability and loose some power (when balance is set more to the front). It's an engineering challenge for which they could find and optimum, which probably differs per track and rewrites more adaptation from the drivers = bigger challenge.
Not the same as a kart with no aero pitch sensitivity and larger tyre patch vs. weight ratio when you have to slow down more than 200kph. Braking distances would triplicate and rear tyres would be destroyed within few laps, plus the cars would be unstable entering fast corners.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna