DRS in Monza/New top speed records?/Best place to sit

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
beelsebob

Re: DRS in Monza/New top speed records?/Best place to sit

DaveKillens wrote:From my impressions of the new turbo V-6 package we will see less peak power from the basic engine lump. The ability for the MGU-H to spin up the turbo quicker and also avoid lag, the massive jump in torque, and extended power and availability of KERS all contribute to an improvement in acceleration.

But once the car gets over 200 kph, then peak engine power comes into play, and this is where I believe that we will see lower top end speeds at the long straights. The great benefit of KERS is when it is used in acceleration up to 200 kph. But you can't run KERS all the time, you have to pick and choose when it is used. For acceleration it definitely is worth using. But at higher speeds, then it contributes a lot less to overall performance. You attain a greater benefit by using KERS at lower speeds than at higher speeds.
You realise that these engines are more powerful than last years? They were predicted to be 550bhp + 160 ERS. The reality is that the engines are between 600 and 650 bhp. That means some teams have as much as 810bhp at their disposal now.

Holm86

beelsebob wrote:
DaveKillens wrote:From my impressions of the new turbo V-6 package we will see less peak power from the basic engine lump. The ability for the MGU-H to spin up the turbo quicker and also avoid lag, the massive jump in torque, and extended power and availability of KERS all contribute to an improvement in acceleration.

But once the car gets over 200 kph, then peak engine power comes into play, and this is where I believe that we will see lower top end speeds at the long straights. The great benefit of KERS is when it is used in acceleration up to 200 kph. But you can't run KERS all the time, you have to pick and choose when it is used. For acceleration it definitely is worth using. But at higher speeds, then it contributes a lot less to overall performance. You attain a greater benefit by using KERS at lower speeds than at higher speeds.
You realise that these engines are more powerful than last years? They were predicted to be 550bhp + 160 ERS. The reality is that the engines are between 600 and 650 bhp. That means some teams have as much as 810bhp at their disposal now.
I don't believe that anyone creates 650 hp from the ICE.

beelsebob

Holm86 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:

I don't believe that anyone creates 650 hp from the ICE.
We have Renault on record as saying that they create 610, and Merc on record saying they create significantly more than Renault, so if we're not there, we're very close.

Holm86

beelsebob wrote: We have Renault on record as saying that they create 610, and Merc on record saying they create significantly more than Renault, so if we're not there, we're very close.
Could you please give a source?? I have only heard Renault saying 600 hp. Both in their press material and in an interview with Ted Kravitz.

beelsebob

Holm86 wrote:
beelsebob wrote: We have Renault on record as saying that they create 610, and Merc on record saying they create significantly more than Renault, so if we're not there, we're very close.
Could you please give a source?? I have only heard Renault saying 600 hp. Both in their press material and in an interview with Ted Kravitz.
"We're going to get 160 from the K, so total will be 760/770 whereas last year we had something like 750/760"[Remy Tafin, in interview with Ted Kravitz]
Given that the ERS is capped at 160, he's explicitly saying there that they're getting more than 600bhp out of the engine, more like 610.

I can't dig up the source on Merc just now, I'll keep searching.

Holm86

beelsebob wrote:
Holm86 wrote:
"We're going to get 160 from the K, so total will be 760/770 whereas last year we had something like 750/760"[Remy Tafin, in interview with Ted Kravitz]
Given that the ERS is capped at 160, he's explicitly saying there that they're getting more than 600bhp out of the engine, more like 610.

I just remembered as he said yes to 600 hp. But okay 610 hp is believable though I'm having a hard time believing 650 hp.

And I don't give much for Renaults claims when they are not even capable of running at 100%.

Juzh

George77 wrote:I believe this year in qualifying with ERS+DRS and the less restricted rear wing we will see 370+
nope. No car will be geared that long. I predict similar speeds to what we were used to with V8.

beelsebob

Holm86 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:"We're going to get 160 from the K, so total will be 760/770 whereas last year we had something like 750/760"[Remy Tafin, in interview with Ted Kravitz]

I just remembered as he said yes to 600 hp. But okay 610 hp is believable though I'm having a hard time believing 650 hp.
Even if you assume 610, then still, this years cars are more powerful than last year's.
And I don't give much for Renaults claims when they are not even capable of running at 100%.

f1316

Engineers have being saying there's less drag this year, so couple that with possibly more power and you're looking at some high top speeds.

I read the figure 400kph being bandied around somewhere - can't remember if it was on here or on the autosport live testing timing.

beelsebob

f1316 wrote:Engineers have being saying there's less drag this year, so couple that with possibly more power and you're looking at some high top speeds.

I read the figure 400kph being bandied around somewhere - can't remember if it was on here or on the autosport live testing timing.
400km/h sounds like bullshit, that's 70km/h faster than they currently go, you'd need a huge drag reduction to get that. That said, I could believe that they'll be a little faster at the end of the straight.

Sebp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Fo ... ne_records
Wikipedia wrote:Highest top speed: 372.6 km/h (231.523 mph)
2005 Italian Grand Prix (Colombia Juan Pablo Montoya)
Their source:
http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/20 ... 02079.html
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

Juzh

f1316 wrote:Engineers have being saying there's less drag this year, so couple that with possibly more power and you're looking at some high top speeds.

Who comes up with this nonsense? We have 8 gears this year yes, but they have to be geared for entire season, which mean no one will gear their cars so long. Even more than 350 seems ludicrous to me. Not to mention V8 cars barely managed 345 in monza with 750bhp + kers. Also V8s had good peak power, which turbos won't, so another minus there.

hollowBallistix

Why wouldn't they run the gears longer to gain more top end ?

Already been told by the drivers their now using 3rd & 4th gears in corners that they previously were in 1st & 2nd due to the increase in torque...

Sebp

hollowBallistix wrote:Why wouldn't they run the gears longer to gain more top end ?

Already been told by the drivers their now using 3rd & 4th gears in corners that they previously were in 1st & 2nd due to the increase in torque...
Using 3rd and 4th in a corner would be an indicator for me that they are running shorter gears if anything. They won't waste the 8th gear solely for Monza and have it do nothing for the rest of the year.
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

Juzh

hollowBallistix wrote:Why wouldn't they run the gears longer to gain more top end ?
Because there's not enough power in the first place to reach such speeds.
hollowBallistix wrote: Already been told by the drivers their now using 3rd & 4th gears in corners that they previously were in 1st & 2nd due to the increase in torque...
Irrelevant. Turbos have much flatter power curve delivery and as such don't need constant 16k+ rpm like old V8s did. On top of that, teams are obviously running shorter gears.