Alonso vs Massa at Ferrari

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

Re: Ferrari 150° Italia

Dude, his qualif lap in Q1 at Monza 2008 was BRILLANT, he was the only guy to improve his time during heavy rain, while Hamilton failed to make it to Q2.

At Silverstone 20087, his car was setup for a dry race, so even in straight line, he was in aquaplaning

aral
aral

Hangaku wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Spun out something like 5 times in 1 race on that weekend.
Indeed, he was very spinny at Silverstone in 2008. I remember seeing him lose it on the short straight under bridge in the rain, I have some awesome photos. Everyone cheered.
This shows the extremely jingoistic nature of British "fans". Presumably they were quiet when Felipe won in the wet in Japan, and Hamilton was being passed by others, until Glock went off and rescued his WDC?

axle
axle

gilgen wrote:
Hangaku wrote:
Indeed, he was very spinny at Silverstone in 2008. I remember seeing him lose it on the short straight under bridge in the rain, I have some awesome photos. Everyone cheered.
This shows the extremely jingoistic nature of British "fans". Presumably they were quiet when Felipe won in the wet in Japan, and Hamilton was being passed by others, until Glock went off and rescued his WDC?

I can't work out if that's a compliment or not...seeing as the Tifosi are generally the most jingoistic of all...jeering an opponent is normal in sport. Just look at El Classico (Barca vs Real Madrid).
- Axle

wesley123
wesley123

gilgen wrote:
Hangaku wrote:
wasnt that brazil? because i can remember how Hamilton shredded the field apart in most of the wet weather races. this was the only where he didnt and where he had serious problems keeping the pace.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

gilgen wrote:
Hangaku wrote:
Hmmm, all fans cheer for "their" driver and jeer at the opposition. It might be a quiet sotto voce one but it's there if they have any kind of preference for a driver/team.

I well remember the cheers when Schumacher failed to finish at Silverstone in '96. I also remember the cheers when Hill also failed to finish later in the race. Funny thing is, everyone cheering and jeering in "our" bit of the crowd were British so far as I could tell. Brits cheering for and against Brits and Germans. How does one apply charges of jingoism to that?

I have no doubt that lots of Spanish fans cheer whenever Hamilton has a problem, even now. Some even make ape noises apparently...

So, let's not go down the road that "British fans are jingoistic" unless we're also going to admit that every other nation's fans are equally capable of being jingoistic/partisan/rascist (or whatever charge one wishes to bring)...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

gridwalker
gridwalker

It happens everywhere; there was a massive cheer from MOST of the grandstands around Eau Rouge when Sato took out Schumi Snr in the damp conditions at Spa '95 ... the only quiet grandstand was conspicuously red in colour, which emptied pretty quickly after the incident.

I doubt that all of the cheering fans at Spa that day were British : it is just the nature of most high level sporting events.

It is just a remnant of human nature left over from tribal days : people seem to need to split the world into "us" and "them". Because of this, I believe the only way that we will ever be a truly united species is when intelligent life is discovered on another planet.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

beelsebob
beelsebob

Just_a_fan wrote:
gilgen wrote:This shows the extremely jingoistic nature of British "fans". Presumably they were quiet when Felipe won in the wet in Japan, and Hamilton was being passed by others, until Glock went off and rescued his WDC?
Hmmm, all fans cheer for "their" driver and jeer at the opposition. It might be a quiet sotto voce one but it's there if they have any kind of preference for a driver/team.

I well remember the cheers when Schumacher failed to finish at Silverstone in '96. I also remember the cheers when Hill also failed to finish later in the race. Funny thing is, everyone cheering and jeering in "our" bit of the crowd were British so far as I could tell. Brits cheering for and against Brits and Germans. How does one apply charges of jingoism to that?

I have no doubt that lots of Spanish fans cheer whenever Hamilton has a problem, even now. Some even make ape noises apparently...

So, let's not go down the road that "British fans are jingoistic" unless we're also going to admit that every other nation's fans are equally capable of being jingoistic/partisan/rascist (or whatever charge one wishes to bring)...
An aside – pretty much every fan I know that likes Hamilton, likes Hamilton because he's calm, reserved and honest, not because he's British. They dislike Alonso because he's arrogant rude, and thinks everything in the world should be biased towards him, not because he's Spanish. None of these people have problems supporting drivers of other nationalities (and most really quite like Vettel). But perhaps this is getting rather off topic – maybe we should talk about the F150°, rather than the drivers.

kakogohrena
kakogohrena

Lorenzo_Bandini wrote:Dude, his qualif lap in Q1 at Monza 2008 was BRILLANT, he was the only guy to improve his time during heavy rain, while Hamilton failed to make it to Q2.

At Silverstone 20087, his car was setup for a dry race, so even in straight line, he was in aquaplaning
lol

Alonso has destroyed his in 2010. Massa #2, no more

Mr Alcatraz

beelzebub wrote:An aside – pretty much every fan I know that likes Hamilton, likes Hamilton because he's calm, reserved and honest, not because he's British. They dislike Alonso because he's arrogant rude
That is straigt up tabloid nonsense, unless you know them personally. 8)

Honesty??? Really???

Check it out bro, I dig the boss as a racer but I think you may be suffering from selective amnesia.
I'd have that checked out. :wink:

Remember this?
Lewis Hamilton's McLaren team have been charged with bringing F1 into disrepute over the lies they told after the Australian Grand Prix
:-"

kakogohrena wrote: lol

Alonso has destroyed his in 2010. Massa #2, no more
It's official now!

Last edited by Mr Alcatraz on 04 May 2011, 19:46, edited 2 times in total.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

amouzouris

Can we just talk about the 150° Italia? From what they are saying it seems that they are determined to turn things around and get back to the glorious days... I hope they do... I would really like to see Massa win again and fight for a championship with Alonso and Vettel!

HampusA

marcush. wrote:I have seen rain "gods" spinning out ..this is more than anything a matter of your car setup.Gamble does not pay off and you look pretty silly compared to someone who has settled for a rain compromise...
True but there´s a very distinct difference between a person who has a natural feel for brakes or grip in the wet. These guys rarely lose their car.
Guys like Senna, Hamilton & Schumacher to name a few.

Massa is definitely not one of them, he just doesn´t have that extra extra like the all-time greats.

Hamilton in Monza when it´s wet is a perfectly good example. Excellent feel for the brakes in the wet.
The truth will come out...

andartop
andartop

[...]

Any news on the flexi-bull wings?
Last edited by Steven on 05 May 2011, 12:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed off-topic comments
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

donskar
donskar

[...]

Tombazis said they'll have new front and rear wings (and brake ducts) this weekend, but I doubt they've already figured out how to make them "flexi-bull" (great one, andartop). By the way, the recent Tombazis interview was one of the most honest, open, and humble I've read in a long time. His admissions are a big first step toward regaining competitiveness. (And a first step out the door for him?)
Last edited by Steven on 05 May 2011, 12:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed off-topic comments
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

axle
axle

donskar wrote:
andartop wrote:Maybe I am getting old, but I really miss the days one could log into F1technical threads created specifically to discuss technical aspects of each team's F1 cars and did NOT find the usual crap Massa/Ferrari/Spanish/Alonso/British/Hamilton - bashing posts.

Any news on the flexi-bull wings?
AGREE! All the no-lifers living vicariously through their heroes is very boring.

Tombazis said they'll have new front and rear wings (and brake ducts) this weekend, but I doubt they've already figured out how to make them "flexi-bull" (great one, andartop). By the way, the recent Tombazis interview was one of the most honest, open, and humble I've read in a long time. His admissions are a big first step toward regaining competitiveness. (And a first step out the door for him?)
I see a lot of comparison in Ferrari and Williams' plights this year and their respective moves to right things.

I do think Ferrari lack that spark they had with Rory Byrne
- Axle

Steven
Owner

Re: Alonso vs Massa at Ferrari

These posts were all split from the Ferrari F150 topic.
Thread closed because of obvious fanboy yin-yang