In-season testing return?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
i70q7m7ghw

Re: In-season testing return?

andrew wrote:Perhaps they could adopt the system used in MotoGP where teams can stay on at a track after selected races to test for 1 day.

Seeing as all the teams are already at the track there is a cost saving striaght away.
Yes +1 for this idea, it just makes sense.

Pandamasque

I've been hearing about this idea for at least 5 or 6 years in regards to F1, yet to hear of any major drawbacks, yet somehow it was never considered by the powers in F1, not publicly anyway.

Just_a_fan

donskar wrote: So just what are you suggesting? Must F1 be "dumbed down" to the lowest denominator? Teams like McL, for example, have earned massive sponsorship through years of effort -- and success. It's ridiculous that they can not enjoy the fruits of their labors. Or should the F1 budget be set at the level of what can be raised by the least successful team? A bit awkward, no?
Umm, where did you get the idea that I want F1 dumbed down? I've just asked the question about how testing will be funded. I agree that additional in-season testing is required and I think that, in light of F1's espoused green ideals at least, that testing should be linked to race weekends. Having additional test dates in between race dates will not help the smaller teams and will increase the carbon footprint of the sport quite markedly(because lots more travel will be required).

It is important that the small teams are assisted by the FIA (or even the bigger teams perhaps?) if we're not to go back to the days of one or two rich teams dominating forever. Sure McLaren and Ferrari have done well in the past and have the cash to prove it, but they built much of that "success fund" in cheaper times. It certainly didn't cost McLaren the equivalent of $200m/year to win the titles for Senna and Prost or Ferrari for Lauda and Scheckter et al, did it? Sure, in later years it did get expensive (we all know that Ferrari's budgets were getting very big in the Schumi years for example).

I think the FIA should implement 2-day in-season testing sessions following three or four races where there is a reasonable gap in the race schedule. The teams should be allowed to use a non-championship driver (test/young driver) per test. This would give the teams the chance to test new bits whilst allowing young talent to get the feel of an F1 car "in the wild". Doing it this way would allow testing without making the whole thing silly-expensive.

If we just go back to the days of "rich takes all" then it's going to be very boring for everyone other than tifosi and McLaren fans (assuming that Red Bull and Mercedes aren't in F1 for the long haul which I don't believe they are). As a McLaren fan I'm not too worried about that, of course, but the sport is I'm sure.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Just_a_fan wrote:assuming that Red Bull and Mercedes aren't in F1 for the long haul which I don't believe they are
Mercedes have been in F1 now knocking on 20 years.
More could have been done.
David Purley

beelsebob

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:assuming that Red Bull and Mercedes aren't in F1 for the long haul which I don't believe they are
Mercedes have been in F1 now knocking on 20 years.
But not as a team.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

As an entity, and as a team for sometime considering they were the largest shareholders in Mclaren.

I thank you
More could have been done.
David Purley

Rob01

Red Bull is in every form of racing on the planet. Why do some people think they are doing it for kicks?

Richard

Rob01 wrote:Red Bull is in every form of racing on the planet. Why do some people think they are doing it for kicks?
All?

Just_a_fan

Rob01 wrote:Red Bull is in every form of racing on the planet. Why do some people think they are doing it for kicks?
The Red Bull team is a marketing exercise. When they stop expanding their market share they'll look at things to cut and F1 is probably the most expensive single marketing exercise they have.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Caito

Do you think/know red bull F1 team is not profitable?
Come back 747, we miss you!!