Wheel vents on WEC cars

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
LVDH

Re: Wheel vents on WEC cars

flynfrog wrote: air is coming out of there. THere is a high pressure area that builds up in wheel wells. not sure how the compare with slots ect but I would guess it has more to do with the required size being better as a large hole.
That same pressure also pushes the wheels down.

I did some CFD simulations of this for a conference once. Here is some of the material I put online:

Geometry A:

Geometry B:

gambler

Some wheels have had a "fan" that promotes air flow out. A helicopter pilot told me once that when going foward one side of the prop is going against the wind and the other is with it. I figure the bottom half of the wheel would be the most likey place for it to escape, as the top half would be on the resistance side... I think, but I'm not an engineer. Does anyone have any CFD data on this?

LVDH

gambler wrote:Some wheels have had a "fan" that promotes air flow out. A helicopter pilot told me once that when going foward one side of the prop is going against the wind and the other is with it. I figure the bottom half of the wheel would be the most likey place for it to escape, as the top half would be on the resistance side... I think, but I'm not an engineer. Does anyone have any CFD data on this?
For this good CFD engineers use paper. On the top of the wheel you subtract the angular frequency multiplied with the wheel radius from the vehicle velocity. On the bottom the minus turns into a plus.