Torsen AWD Vs Haldex AWD/XWD

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
ds.raikkonen

Re: Torsen AWD Vs Haldex AWD/XWD

So nobody here knows about the T-2/T-3 type Torsen :)
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

livinglikethathuh

sosic2121 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:The definite weapon, IMHO, would be a Jimmy with differential lock and proper tires. That will go through anything
Or maybe BX 4x4 :lol:
That car was very light for it's size.
I think most variants were under 1000kg.
I raise you Lada Niva. Probably same weight as Jimmy, low gears, full time 4x4 with diff lock and many models come with off-road tyres that are more for a backhoe than a highway capable road car. The thing is downright UNSTOPPABLE.

Sent from my steering wheel

Andres125sx

livinglikethathuh wrote:I raise you Lada Niva. Probably same weight as Jimmy, low gears, full time 4x4 with diff lock and many models come with off-road tyres that are more for a backhoe than a highway capable road car. The thing is downright UNSTOPPABLE.

Sent from my steering wheel
According to wikipedia the Niva weight between 800 and 900kg, so yeah, that´s a winner.... at least for off-road use, because if the Jimmy is far from a comfortable car for road use, that Lada... :roll: but for off-road use I think there´s no other standard production car wich comes even close. Most of them lack diff lock, or their weight is around double of the Niva

Sent from Milky Way

Pierce89

ds.raikkonen wrote:So nobody here knows about the T-2/T-3 type Torsen :)
I think that's a safe assumption.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

ds.raikkonen

aussiegman wrote:Overall they are really good, much better than a Torsen type diff for track use where you might lift a wheel off a ripple strip or simply through cornering, especially an a FWD or 2WD car.

They also seemed to be a little more like a 1.5 way plate diff under braking but that might have been just my "seat of the pants dyno" perception.

I think that if you were to use one you'd use the optional higher friction surfaces to get it to lock up with a bit more quickly and positively.
You're spot on about the ripple strips. I've felt FWD cars surge over them due to the traction difference. Haldex clutches are best suited to counter this phenomenon. So are the Torsen diffs are better suited for torque distribution in AWD applications or is it just a myth?
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

aussiegman

ds.raikkonen wrote:
aussiegman wrote:Overall they are really good, much better than a Torsen type diff for track use where you might lift a wheel off a ripple strip or simply through cornering, especially an a FWD or 2WD car.

They also seemed to be a little more like a 1.5 way plate diff under braking but that might have been just my "seat of the pants dyno" perception.

I think that if you were to use one you'd use the optional higher friction surfaces to get it to lock up with a bit more quickly and positively.
You're spot on about the ripple strips. I've felt FWD cars surge over them due to the traction difference. Haldex clutches are best suited to counter this phenomenon. So are the Torsen diffs are better suited for torque distribution in AWD applications or is it just a myth?
My personal opinion is Torsen diffs are a compromise for semi track/road cars. They are good but definitely a compromise vs a plate or Salisbury type LSD.

Then again, living with a plate diff in a daily is less than ideal..
Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the back, or an Idiot from any direction

ds.raikkonen

aussiegman wrote:
ds.raikkonen wrote:

My personal opinion is Torsen diffs are a compromise for semi track/road cars. They are good but definitely a compromise vs a plate or Salisbury type LSD.

Then again, living with a plate diff in a daily is less than ideal..
That's the reason why I believe the T-3 type Torsen is better than clutch type LSDs, albeit more expensive. That's why cars like A3/TT use Haldex type Quattro and A4 onwards use Torsen type.

Pat Pending

ds.raikkonen wrote: That's the reason why I believe the T-3 type Torsen is better than clutch type LSDs, albeit more expensive. That's why cars like A3/TT use Haldex type Quattro and A4 onwards use Torsen type.
It has always been my understanding that Audi's choice of Haldex vs Torsen was down to the engine being transverse or longitudinal and the associated packaging - transverse ('native' fwd) engined A3/Golf etc. used Haldex, whereas longitudunal ('native' rwd) engined A4 used Torsen.