McLaren P1

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
SectorOne

Re: McLaren P1

Straight ahead maybe but in corners? No chance, Ferrari won´t even know what hit them.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

acosmichippo

what gives you that impression?

Avocado

el-Magico wrote:
Holm86 wrote:It will be fun to see the McLaren vs. the Porsche. I feel it will be a long time till we see the Ferrari on the Top Gear track.
I don't even know when the LaFerrari is supposed to be finished. And even when it is Ferrari probably wont lent one out. They would have to borrow one from a customer just like they did with the Enzo.
No offence, but the LaFerrari will smash this car two hands down.. 8)
I understand, you are a Ferrari fanboy, but no, it won't happen. P1 is technologically more advanced car, has way better aerodynamics and much, much more downforce. :wink:

Great quote from Chris Harris: "The P1 is the bestest, fastest, most exciting car sports/super/hypercar I've driven. Nothing else comes close."

SectorOne

acosmichippo wrote:what gives you that impression?
Downforce figures from the Mclaren and the race mode which is illegal to run on the road.
And now various comments from people who have driven the cars. Like Chris Harris above.

He´s driven the Porsche quite a lot and to say nothing else comes close is a big statement.
(i think the Porsche might be quicker then the Ferrari around TGTT)

Here´s Harris review,
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default ... ryId=29402

Love this bit,
And this uncovers the first dynamic limitation of the P1 - the Pirelli P Zero Corsa tyre that was specially developed for the car, and which carries the highest specific load rating of any product the company has built for a street car.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

RZS10

Avocado wrote:
el-Magico wrote:
No offence, but the LaFerrari will smash this car two hands down.. 8)
I understand, you are a Ferrari fanboy, but no, it won't happen. P1 is technologically more advanced car, has way better aerodynamics and much, much more downforce. :wink:

Great quote from Chris Harris: "The P1 is the bestest, fastest, most exciting car sports/super/hypercar I've driven. Nothing else comes close."
You have no proof for any of your claims, probably none of both cars is really ahead of the other technologically, the P1 won't have "way better" aero or "much, much more downforce" (maybe neither) :D

Harris hasn't driven the LaFerrari yet, so yeah...

"... the P1 creates its own new performance category, one that we all suspect the La Ferrari will soon occupy, but which sadly for Porsche the 918 doesn't have the requisite firepower to qualify."

I believe that both cars will be in similar performance regions, although the LaFerrari has a few more horses under the hood, weighs significantly less (1255kg vs 1395, that's 1/10th!), has a better acceleration for 0-300km/h (15s vs. <17s) and maybe a higher top speed (limited 350km/h for P1 and 350+ for LaFerrari) - in addition to that the LaFerrari has wider tyres on both axles, so it might have better mechanical grip.

Avocado

You can find all the informations on the internet. Hybrid technology, suspension etc. And if you think that LF has the same aero efficiency and those extreme amount of downforce, you have to be a comedian. Save my quote for the upcoming months when both cars hit the track. It won't be even close, mark my words.

RZS10

Avocado wrote:You can find all the informations on the internet. Hybrid technology, suspension etc.
First of all, you may find info about the P1, yet without any info on the LF you can't say the P1 is better concerning suspension, hybrid etc. ... the only obvious thing is, that they will be both outstanding compared to anything that is out there currently (also: providing links to said info might be more helpful in convincing me than just saying that 'ALL' the info is somewhere to be found online).
Avocado wrote:And if you think that LF has the same aero efficiency and those extreme amount of downforce, you have to be a comedian.
Only because the aero is more visible on the P1 doesn't mean the LF will be s**t compared to it, just because the LF has a less aggressive design does not mean it doesn't have a sophisticated aero concept (there's probably a lot going on under the "shell" we see + active aero).
Not wanting to draw hasty conclusions just from watching pictures of cars and reading some articles about them does not make me a comedian, doing exactly that however would make me one.

[and yes, i read some articles about how fancy the aerodynamics on the P1 are]
Avocado wrote:Save my quote for the upcoming months when both cars hit the track. It won't be even close, mark my words.
We will see, i won't disagree or insist it's the other way round, simply because it is all pure speculation on your behalf. A bit like tabloids - big headline: "this and this will happen" not really KNOWING (that is the key word here) anything, yet claiming "we knew from the start" if it is the case.
Still pretty bold to say the LF will be nowhere near the P1, would be interesting to know how you'd quantify "not even close".

You criticized el-Magico for saying the LF will 'smash' the P1, calling his assertion fanboyism.
And here you are: doing exactly what he did ... just in longer sentences.

turbof1

I always believed such "pre-release" comparisons were a waste of time. Except if really clear differences were visible in the publicly stated specs, you simply can't judge this.

I have my personal 3 3 3 rule for this: three rounds on three different circuits from 3 different accurate reviewers. For those who have questions about accurate: top gear isn't among that.
#AeroFrodo

SectorOne

Accurate reviewer? You mean a person that actually has the credentials to take a P1 to the limit.

There will be plenty of accurate laptimes but very few where the driver can exploit what the cars really can do.

RZS10

turbof1 wrote:I always believed such "pre-release" comparisons were a waste of time. Except if really clear differences were visible in the publicly stated specs, you simply can't judge this.
Exactly what i am trying to say. It's pointless.

autogyro

Accepting that the Ferrari has less aero development on it than the P1, I have to remind the reader that the Ferrari has a power train more comparable to a block of flats than to the P1's hybrid system.

ringo

I wouldn't judge the ferrari. There's no evidence to suggest that it is worse. It may well be a better with a better hybrid system.
For Sure!!

autogyro

We shall see.
If it is anything like Ferrari's previous attempts at hybrid power trains it will resemble a block of flats laid on its side.

el-Magico

12C+P1=650S... :wtf:
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

Juzh

hyuara is still on the board so by my understanding top gear considers it to be the fastest, because top gear is fundamentally the show itself, not the website.