Race Engine Technology "special reports"

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
MadMatt
MadMatt

Race Engine Technology "special reports"

Hey guys. I was wondering if buying one of these special reports was useful or not. Price is 20£ which is quite a lot if the content is just what you find in the regular mag'. So has anybody got one of these already?

http://www.epi-eng.com/epi_general_info ... .htm#rally

I would be interested in buying the rally one, but I'm afraid not to find new stuff.

:)

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Re: Race Engine Technology "special reports"

Useful... to what end?
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

SectorOne

Jersey Tom wrote:Useful... to what end?
Knowledge at the very basics one would think.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

MadMatt
MadMatt

Technical information regarding rallycars, more like "in-depth" details on how things work, because it is far more complex than one might think. The manufacturers will never disclose secrets, but there might still be interesting stuff inside, or am I wrong?

tim|away
tim|away

Read this sample and decide for yourself whether it meets your expectations. I hope that helps.

MadMatt
MadMatt

Had the chance to take a look at the full mag' and IMO its not worth the expense. Clearly not. Not many pages, and lots of adverts. Content is good but nothing worth 25£.

bevlin761
bevlin761

The manufacturers will never disclose secrets, but there might still be interesting stuff inside, or am I wrong?

scarbs
scarbs

First up, I have to say I've done some work in these publications in the past. But I read every copy and in my opinion the core magazine is a great source of info on Engines. The special editions are definitely worth it, there's interviews, tech snippets and details, I've not read any where else. This is the place where the engineers get to talk about their work to the industry, away from mainstream magazines and marketing men.

Yes the Mag has a lot of adverts, but they are all engineering companies relevant to the sport, you might even learn stuff from the ad's alone.

If its value for money I can't say, that's up to you.

However if any of you want to try the magazine or specials, (I'd recommend the analysis of the current Cosworth engine, its incredible). they will offer you a 10% discount of you quote "scarbsf1"

MadMatt
MadMatt

scrabs I was not talking about the magazine in itself which I find very good, but about the Rally Special Report. And this was just my opinion, 25£ for it was way too much. Keep in mind you can have a nice book for that price!