Mercedes AMG GT

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
CosTa

Re: Mercedes AMG GT

Powerslide wrote:Looks like that render is very close if we were to judge from this Mercedes-AMG GT video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHAaVrR4 ... v5tjwCxtZQ
Very similar engine used by BMW (N63). Turbochargers inside the V, “hot inner vee” as they call it.

Cold Fussion

Powerslide wrote:Looks like that render is very close if we were to judge from this Mercedes-AMG GT video

I'm wondering why for the A45 they're prepared to go with a roughly 130 kw/L engine, while this they settle for just under 100.

FoxHound

To leave space for the GT blackseries. :twisted:
JET set

Powerslide

Cold Fussion wrote:

I'm wondering why for the A45 they're prepared to go with a roughly 130 kw/L engine, while this they settle for just under 100.
I'll theorize here, use the same engine but at different settings for different models that will reduce cost but still provide good performance. One expensive engine foundation to build but through repetition, the more they make the more profitable it becomes. Imagine the cost to make a Coke can but after a lot of them it becomes cheaper and cheaper as the numbers rise.
speed

Morteza

Finally the car is revealed :D

Images are from Netcarshow.com
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

RicerDude

The new AMG V8 engine has two turbochargers which are not mounted on the outside of the cylinder banks but rather inside the V configuration - experts call it a "hot inside V". The benefits are a compact engine design, an optimum response from the turbochargers and low exhaust gas emissions thanks to optimum air flow for the close-coupled catalytic converters. The dry sump lubrication also ensures the oil supply even with high lateral forces and allows the engine to be installed lower, thus moving the centre of gravity closer to the road and forming the basis for high lateral acceleration.

The new Mercedes-AMG V8 biturbo engine is the world's first sports car engine with 'hot inside V' and dry sump lubrication.

FoxHound

I adore it. I will sacrifice 5 chicken wings to the Daimler Deities in order to have some form of ownership to this menace.
I've done some math, and if I get rid of the missus, work an extra 20 hours a week, dont drink and dont smoke for 3 years I can just about afford a deposit of 25k and some hefty monthly payments. If I eat less, I may even be able to do some mileage in it. So go forth rich folk, and buy it in droves!

JET set

NewtonMeter

FoxHound wrote:I adore it. I will sacrifice 5 chicken wings to the Daimler Deities in order to have some form of ownership to this menace.
I've done some math, and if I get rid of the missus, work an extra 20 hours a week, dont drink and dont smoke for 3 years I can just about afford a deposit of 25k and some hefty monthly payments. If I eat less, I may even be able to do some mileage in it. So go forth rich folk, and buy it in droves!
It sounds like a fairly simple compromise and well worth it. Easiest decision in the world, IMO.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

tomas6791

Here is one in black, looks nice.

AMG GT - 7 pictures in the gallery

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Pierce89

Cold Fussion wrote:

Why does specific output matter? Do you feel the AMG GT is underpowered? Higher specific output also often equates to a less responsive throttle pedal, which is the last thing you'll ever feel in this car.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Powerslide

Styled around ever changing form or curve. It looks nice without any kits. High rear three quarters angle is very nice, and that sound.
speed

tomas6791

Mercedes-AMG GT S F1 Safety Car

from the press release:
The new GT S is the perfect vehicle to guide the Formula 1® field safely around the track when bad weather conditions or accidents necessitate deployment of the Safety Car. The second sports car developed independently by Mercedes-AMG boasts ideal credentials for this tough job in the premiere motorsport competition. The front mid-engine concept with transaxle, the V8 biturbo engine with dry sump lubrication, the dual clutch transmission and the cutting-edge sports suspension with aluminium double-wishbone axles provide the basis for fast laps on the race circuit.

16 pictures and press release

jickmagger

Is that a Merc trying to be a Porche? Shame