Easier to train workers to lay carbon fiber than to weld?

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
g-force_addict

Easier to train workers to lay carbon fiber than to weld?

Imagine if Lamborghini still had to have so many welders to weld their complex spaceframes by hand.
Check out the Countach spaceframe

Imagine if that were an Aluminum frame requiring even more skilled welders.

Does carbon fiber allows supercar builders to have more workers?
Some factories even have women laying carbon fiber. I doubt many women would accept welding jobs.

So in addition to being lighter and stronger Does carbon fiber allow to have more skilled workers to meet production quotas?

Just_a_fan

Re: Easier to train workers to lay carbon fiber than to weld

g-force_addict wrote: Some factories even have women laying carbon fiber.
:shock: It's like the last 50 years never happened...I can't believe you wrote that!
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

nacho

Just_a_fan wrote:[
:shock: It's like the last 50 years never happened...I can't believe you wrote that!
1915 Spain:

langwadt

g-force_addict wrote:Imagine if Lamborghini still had to have so many welders to weld their complex spaceframes by hand.
Check out the Countach spaceframe
http://warnercnr.colostate.edu/~anderson/BookPic1.jpg

Imagine if that were an Aluminum frame requiring even more skilled welders.

Does carbon fiber allows supercar builders to have more workers?
Some factories even have women laying carbon fiber. I doubt many women would accept welding jobs.

So in addition to being lighter and stronger Does carbon fiber allow to have more skilled workers to meet production quotas?
who do you think build all the airplanes, tanks, ships etc. during WWII ?

andylaurence

g-force_addict wrote:Some factories even have women laying carbon fiber. I doubt many women would accept welding jobs.
I'm guessing you don't have a girlfriend/wife at the moment...

g-force_addict

langwadt wrote:who do you think build all the airplanes, tanks, ships etc. during WWII ?
Women, I know.

The problem is that now men don't want to do manual labor, let alone women.
They only (well mostly is the correct word) want to get office jobs.

The problem is that gov't all over the world began subsidizing or giving cheap and easy loans for people to get worthless college degrees.
Too many graduates and too few jobs.
They usually prefer to receive welfare or work on minimum wage fast-food or services industry jobs than do manual labor.
Like Texans say A big hat and no cattle.

Lucky you guys if you live in an area where they embrace and are proud of manual labor.
Unfortunately not all of the world is like that anymore.

thisisatest

interestingly, in taiwan and china (and in at least one US factory of high end carbon componentry), women are preferred to lay up the carbon on bicycle frames and parts. "prefer" as in almost 100%. they say it is because women tend to have greater attention to detail. i am against that notion because it's sexist.
personally, i'd test everyone, and if 80% of the best workers were women, then the staff would be 80% woman, not 100%.
i can somewhat see if smaller hands were of a benefit to push the cloth into recesses of complex molds, then it might be like 90% woman, but that's it.
i can see how it might be more difficult to make sure everything is laid up exactly how it should be all the time. once it comes out of the mold, lots of information is hidden. lots (but not all, i know) of info about a weld can be checked visually, especially if you can see the inside of the tubes. i guess that's why NDT is so important and constantly developed.

Cold Fussion

thisisatest wrote:interestingly, in taiwan and china (and in at least one US factory of high end carbon componentry), women are preferred to lay up the carbon on bicycle frames and parts. "prefer" as in almost 100%. they say it is because women tend to have greater attention to detail. i am against that notion because it's sexist.
personally, i'd test everyone, and if 80% of the best workers were women, then the staff would be 80% woman, not 100%.
i can somewhat see if smaller hands were of a benefit to push the cloth into recesses of complex molds, then it might be like 90% woman, but that's it.
i can see how it might be more difficult to make sure everything is laid up exactly how it should be all the time. once it comes out of the mold, lots of information is hidden. lots (but not all, i know) of info about a weld can be checked visually, especially if you can see the inside of the tubes. i guess that's why NDT is so important and constantly developed.
I would say they prefer women because typically women will accept less pay and it is therefore much cheaper for them to mass produced labor intensive composite components.

g-force_addict

thisisatest wrote:interestingly, in taiwan and china (and in at least one US factory of high end carbon componentry), women are preferred to lay up the carbon on bicycle frames and parts. "prefer" as in almost 100%. they say it is because women tend to have greater attention to detail. i am against that notion because it's sexist.
Like in
How Its Made Dream Cars S02E09: KTM X-Bow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTzmAtVvHDI
At about minute 3:00
Girls laying carbon fiber. I wonder if the 100% women rule you mentioned still holds in Austria?
BTW The blonde girl doesn't look ugly or is it just the saloon hair?

PlatinumZealot

nacho wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:[
1915 Spain:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-52H8BVdPVn8/U ... 81%29.jpeg
They say women make the best welders.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

strad

I doubt many women would accept welding jobs.
Best welder I know, and I know a few, is the sister of a friend.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.โ€
Sir Stirling Moss

PlatinumZealot

strad wrote:
I doubt many women would accept welding jobs.
Best welder I know, and I know a few, is the sister of a friend.
Yes they say it is easier for women because they breathe more gently. Their chests and bellies don't move as much as a man's own does when he breathes so their hands are steadier. And in addition to that fact they generally have narrower shoulders and wider hips so their arms are steadied when the bend them.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

BanMeToo

Just_a_fan wrote:
g-force_addict wrote: Some factories even have women laying carbon fiber.
:shock: I personally know a very skilled female welder, she doesn't have that job any more this was in the 1970's