Is all wheel drive really worth it in supercars?

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Richard

Re: Is all wheel drive really worth it in supercars?

As John Ruskin once said:
Remember that the most beautiful things in the world are the most useless; peacocks and lilies for instance.
Supercars are similar, it's all about survival of the species.

Greg Locock

The advantage of AWD in point and squirt driving is immense, even on public roads.

As to supercars (neither got to prototype stage), I've worked on two and they were boring to work on. On the other hand I worked on Lotus' SID and that was interesting because it had a point.

Jersey Tom

Few different points to think about here. From one side of things.. supercar that mostly stays in some old rich dude's garage? Could make it a Flintstones car that you pedal with your feet and it wouldn't make a difference if it's all for show.

But TL;DR for the rest of this - yes, I think AWD is worth it. All other things being equal I'd expect an AWD drivetrain to smoke RWD or FWD around a circuit.
g-force_addict wrote:Sure it helps performance A BIT when accelerating, but cornering isn't THAT better unless torque vectoring is used.
First, I'd say it's not uncommon for high power RWD cars to have mechanical understeer (FLLTD) dialed in just to be able to put the power down on corner exit. Exit speed is king. RWD car you'll compromise some entry or mid corner speed to get that. AWD car you might be able to run a more neutral mid-corner balance since you've split the drive torque amongst the 4 tires. If so, could probably carry more mid corner speed. Certainly none less. So right there, no loss for AWD and a potential gain.
It can help accelerating... to dangerous speeds yet they can't brake or corner much better.
...dangerous speeds? What does that even mean? Any and all of racing with a high performance car on a track day is dangerous speeds, regardless of whether it's RWD, AWD, or FWD. And while this is admittedly opinion, to the point I made earlier I think you'd find it's common belief that not a ton of a lap time is made on the brakes anyway. So again, no loss to AWD. Lot of lap time is made on better exit. So if AWD wins there (and it does) - then that's a big positive.
A car properly tuned for drag racing would actually pull a wheelie! thus making AWD pointless.
Yeah and that "properly tuned" drag racing car probably wouldn't it make it around either Monaco or Monza too well, would it? What are we talking about here, drag racing or circuit racing? Either way.. not all cars in a drag race get up on two wheels, so an AWD car will still be no worse and potentially better. For a circuit, you don't make your time having more forward grip in a straight line from a standing start. That happens, at most, once per event. Lap speed is about committing to throttle earliest coming off the corner... and I'd say AWD will have clear advantage there.
Ferrari took decades to make an AWD car for a reason.
There were reasons too why racing took forever to go to fuel injection and radial tires. Not good reasons.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Nickel

Now as a blue collar guy living a modest life in the mountains, I'm certainly not the target market of super/hypercars so YMMV and all that. But if I was, by some swing of the lottery ticket, suddenly to become the target market for one of these jalopies, outright lap time would hardly be the deciding factor. I'd want whatever was the most fun to beat the piss out of around a track. Maybe that would be all wheel drive, maybe rear wheel drive (but probably not front wheel drive...).

I don't think there's much of a point to what I'm saying other than to say this: Whatever tool manufacturer X wants to bolt to the thing to make it more ridiculously fun to rip around on a piece of tarmac is great. They're not race cars, but hedonistic, incredibly exaggerated tributes to the simple joy of driving an automobile quickly. Variety is the spice of life. If every car drove like a 911, there'd be nothing special about entering a corner slow only to hook out of it like a bat out of hell. If every car was like an Audi, there'd be no marveling at the balance and poise.

There is no right answer to the OP's question, only subjectivity. Fastest lap around the green hell is not a measure of best in this category IMO.

WaikeCU

Tim.Wright wrote:
WaikeCU wrote: I reckon it is. It's an engineering masterpiece, it has a comfort level of a Rolls Royce Phantom. Has enough ride height to go everywhere, flies on the track and is also marked as exclusive with a price tag.
Like hell it does...
Unless Top Gear is lying...

Go to section 1:38 - 2:25

But still, I see online lots of feedbacks on MP4-12C experiences saying its ride comfort is remarkably well compared to other high powered cars.

EVO has made a 7 part piece on a long term test of the MP4-12C, which includes daily use. It proves it's in the supercars pedigree, but also seems legit as a car for daily use.

Tim.Wright

WaikeCU wrote:
Unless Top Gear is lying...
Not lying, just embellishing as usual.
Not the engineer at Force India

autogyro

Porsche 918

Nuf said

SectorOne

Jersey Tom wrote:All other things being equal I'd expect an AWD drivetrain to smoke RWD or FWD around a circuit.
Put up a car in the Pirelli World Challenge Touring Cars, all three drivetrains are permitted there.

Edit: The GTS class too.

In general the "smoking" comes when it starts to get wet. that´s where RWD and particularly FWD will lose out to AWD.
I think there´s also another series somewhere in the world where they run a blue Volvo S60 which i believe i AWD too.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

MOWOG

The real question is not whether all wheel drive is "worth it" in supercars but rather whether supercars themselves are worth it.

The vast majority are nothing more than ego massage machines. In the real world, they are irrelevant.
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

bill shoe

The current generation of supercars and hypercars are extremely fast, but the typical user (if any, Jersey Tom's point about Cars-n-Coffee Queens is taken) is still low to moderate skill. Do a YouTube search for track-day and on-road crashes of supercars for many fine examples.

AWD definitely makes a car easier to control. AWD car response is more consistent across a wide range of vehicle dynamics conditions. It is indeed boring at times compared to RWD and a good driver, but as a first approximation this latter combo is not a choice. So the only other choice is RWD and really aggressive electronics that keep a tight reign on the vehicle dynamics. But then the driver who spends the cost of several houses on their car toy will always want the ability to disable or at least reduce the electronics. The nice thing about AWD is that the car company can shrug and say "sorry, no way to remove the AWD hardware".

lkocev

Jersey Tom wrote:All other things being equal I'd expect an AWD drivetrain to smoke RWD or FWD around a circuit.
The problem is that all other things almost never are equal when its a question of a fundamental layout, and design constraint. Where will the specific performance advantage come from? If the tires are equal, where is the extra lateral grip coming from? How could you expect the height of center of mass to be the same? How could you expect the total automobile mass to be the same? An extra differential and drive shafts and likely increased transmission cooling requirement will not be without mass penalty.

Greg Locock

I'd take the mass penalty and typically cgz bonus for a 4wd system in any practical case where you have a traction limited car, especially if the car doesn't have ABS. The only exception might be on a round and round circuit with loads of practice time.

SectorOne

just a quick question regarding AWD. Do you from England/USA say AVD or A double-u D?

edit: thanks Tim
Last edited by SectorOne on 23 Jan 2015, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Tim.Wright

Nobody spell it out, you normally say the full words. In english we don't abbreviate the W like the italians do so saying "all-wheel-drive" is easier than trying to say A-W-D.
lkocev wrote:Where will the specific performance advantage come from? If the tires are equal, where is the extra lateral grip coming from?
There is no extra lateral grip. The performance increase comes from having extra longitudinal traction. Its using longitudinal grip at is available on the front tyres but is not used in a RWD car.

The advantage of AWD is that you have more longitudinal acceleration at the exit of every traction limited corner. Then after you leave the traction limited region you have a positive speed delta compared to a 2WD car and this means you pull away from the 2WD car all the way down the next straight even if you both have the same power.

Its a huge advantage and also the reason why AWD cars are ballasted more in the series where they are allowed.
Not the engineer at Force India

Phil

andylaurence wrote:The reason being that the use for a supercar is to drive on the road. A supercar owner wants to be the fastest person on the road. They don't want to be beaten at the lights by an £800 Subaru Impreza and that will happen if they don't have 4WD. The advantage of driving all four wheels at low speeds (by that, I mean within the speed limits where most traffic lights are situated) is massive.
IMO, I actually think 4WD (or most other features) have little to do with how the cars are actually driven on the road - but more to do with marketing. If or if not 4WD is better or not entirely depends on the road, how you use it and the skillset of the driver. Most cars, even supercars, are rarely driven in anger. In fact, the higher the cost of the car, the less likely it is probably used to its effect. That's not to say 4WD isn't good - traction wise, it will always yield an advantage. My point is more that that advantage is rarely exploited by the people who actually own and buy such cars. Despite that, 4WD is still a buying point for people who buy into that - even if they don't extract it. I.e. Audis focus on 4WD is almost a bit like a trademark feature - in BMW, they are traditionally RWD. Lamborghini belonging to the Audi group is simply a reason on why 4WD is in just about every car. It's one of their expertise fields and trademark features.

As for the definition on supercar - IMO - a supercar is a car that is built with little to no compromises. A car built for the sole purpose of being fast. Or maybe, that would be a hypercar. It's a bit silly really, in the end, the term is a pretty subjective made up term that will be applied differently among different people.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter