McLaren 650S Le Mans - question about louvres and downforce.

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
andylaurence

Re: McLaren 650S Le Mans - question about louvres and downfo

MadMatt wrote:The positioning of the louvers is also very important. People tend to fit them as far up front as they can in a longitudinal plane, but I cannot really see any relevant research proving that concept. I believe it has to do with what I explained, the high pressure in front of the tyre, as there is indeed a low pressure area behind the wheel so why would you want to exhaust it on top of the car, hence the louvers located at the front of the wheel well.
My understanding is that it's relieving of the pressure within the wheel well. I can't remember which issue it was, but there was a multi-part Aerobytes feature on the ADR3 in Racecar Engineering and they did try various louvre positions. The forward position was of benefit - the standard vents were fitted aft of the wheel centre line. This is the position I chose on my car:

SectorOne

Re: McLaren 650S Le Mans - question about louvres and downfo

Cold Fussion wrote:That's purely by regulation. When rules for giant holes above the wheels weren't there, no LMP1 car run with such giant holes, they all featured louvers.
Doesn´t really matter since it´s there for the same exact reason.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"